What's new

Please Help Date these Properties.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
⛭ Moderator
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2003
Messages
96,809
Reaction score
76,246
Golden Thread
2
🥇 Banner finds
1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Have My Hunch
Just want to see if all Would agree
or Disagree.


One of these Homes Dates to 1775

Year Built : 1775
Effective Age: 1775
Total Rooms: 3
Total Living Area: 1664


One dates to 1800

Year Built: 1800
Effective Age: 1980
Total Rooms: 5
Total Living Area: 1914


Both are on the same Property.
what do you think ?


#1 !!!1775Property1.webp


#2 !!!!1775PROPERTY.webp

The Property

1775.webp
 
top house oldest
 
I agree with jr...that bottom house is almost identical to a whole street of houses by me that were built early 1800's. Old company houses.

Al
 
Well its pretty easy to tell which house has 5 rooms and which one only has 3. I doubt if either one of them is completely original though. I am kinda curious why you are asking? Are you planning on buying them or just trying to get permission to hunt there.
 
savant365 said:
Well its pretty easy to tell which house has 5 rooms and which one only has 3. I doubt if either one of them is completely original though. I am kinda curious why you are asking? Are you planning on buying them or just trying to get permission to hunt there.

Planning on Trying for Permission.

The Owner does not Live there
So they are either Empty or Rentals.

Just Curious in advance as to which property
would be the oldest.

Like the others the 3 Story looks older

But the 2 Story looks Smaller
which is Confusing me.

Not to Memtion the Bottom one
looks more like it could have an "Effective Age: 1980"
more then the 3 story does.

Making me think the Top one is Smaller then it looks
& Has one room each Floor
 
I was looking at the chiminy on the smaller house. Looks like they might have built it or remodeled around an old fireplace. ???
 
I think I need to bring my detector over and hunt both sites :wink: Then I can have a better idea of the age.
On the other hand, it’s kind of hard to see the foundations from the photos. I like the back door setup on the first photo. The second one has been remodeled. The chimney cap looks more modern.
What’s behind the house in the second photo?

Of course I only lived up north for about 13 years and all the houses here in Florida are built on Coquina rock or cypress stumps. But I did a lot of back woods hunting up north. It was a blast.
 
The addition to the lower house and the lack of side windows makes it my favorite for the older one of the two. The walls or at least the sills on the top house make it look later.

A few houses like the lower, when peeled back for siding have turned out to be log cabins in some places I've seen and their original size was more in line with the lower house than the upper.
 
Lower house is the oldest... then, eventually they build the top one and lived it - like they always planned to do. They rented or let family live in the smaller older house...
 
the brick work on the large home appears to be older than the small home...
the small house looks like it was a carriage house... that was modified.
 
without using the dates, since they are part of the same acreage. I would say the one without paint is the older.
here's why. the 3 story would likely be built first, for the family to live in. then later, the smaller one was built to house the hired help. I would look around both if you can get permission
 
Jeff


The reason that the 2nd house looks so much smaller is because
it has a huge basement that was counted in the square feet.

just a thought,

Cachefinder-
 
How are houses this old still standing? Mine is only 10 years old and already had termite problems. I never see a house that old, in Oklahoma they tear them down and build some useless retail store.
 
Beans said:
How are houses this old still standing?  Mine is only 10 years old and already had termite problems.  I never see a house that old, in Oklahoma they tear them down and build some useless retail store.


Up until about 60 years ago --people had this this called "Pride in Workmanship"--built things that last
now-a-days homes are just chicken wire and stucco--only built to last maybe 25yrs

shame on us!

Cachefinder-
 
The house that has the smallest foundation is the oldest. This house would have been rented out after they built their "Dream House".

Check out the foundations. The newer house will have more care taken in the cutting and laying of the stones.

Just my humble opinion. 8)
 
The bottom house is the oldest, the windows are 6 panes of glass per window while the top house has only 4 panes per window. Smaller window panes were common in the late 1700's because large pieces of glass were way more expensive and harder to come by.
 
Yep, I'd agree the lower picture is the older house. That was probable built and lived in until the family outgrew it and then they built the larger home.

Greg
 
Just to play devil's advocate here...

It's hard to know. The original log structure may be enclosed in either of those houses, and the chimney re-bricked. OR, the original structures might not be either of those spots. Or the houses built later on the original sites.

I would get a topographic map of the area. Look for springs and water sources, and go from there. Find the old roads on the DeBeer's maps and see if either of the houses is near an old road.

What a site looks like visually is not always an indicator of its age. And you don't want to miss your early homesteads by only hunting more modern yards and then moving on!


Best Wishes,


Buckles
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom