What's new

Please say CS, please say CS... would it in Maine?

MAINE HILLS HUNTER

Full Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2006
Messages
233
Reaction score
6
Golden Thread
0
Location
Oxford Hills of Maine
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On Tuesday I got out with great friends. We detected several cellar holes that seem to have been hit pretty hard. After about 4 hours we all had some pretty full pouches of trash. I was walking a wall in what would have been a pasture heading back to the truck because we were about to head home. The Explorer SE Pro rang out with a very solid 04/26 showing about 8 inches deep. Sick of digging trash I started to walk away, however something inside said "what is one more piece of trash?" "Go dig it!"

Boy am I glad I did! I removed the plug, stuck the pinpointer in the hole, found that it was still a little deeper. The soil was soft so i just stuck my hand in the hole and fished around. I felt a buckle, the unmistakable shape that I have found in the past. I just kept saying to myself "Please say CS, Please say CS, Please, Please, Please". I pulled it out of the hole and flipped it over. No CS... but a really nice US beltplate.

This is my second in a 2 year period. In Maine of all places. 3 days later and I am still smiling.
 

Attachments

  • Eric with CW Box Plate[1].webp
    Eric with CW Box Plate[1].webp
    191.2 KB · Views: 1,502
Upvote 0
Nice! You just never know, do you? That's what makes this adventure so great.
 
Nice find, I wish I could find stuff from our civil war in such good condition :thumbsup:. Keep it up mate :icon_thumleft:


hammered
 
WTG on a great find. Look around that site again as it may be a CW veteran's home. HH, Quindy.
 
Great find , that means there is still hope dirt fishing up here. :hello2:
 
i really need to find a nice place to hunt up here. the possibilities are endless up in the cold state :hello:
 
Great dig!! By the size of it,it look's like a "baby" US :thumbsup:
 
Great Find!! Congrats :wink:
ME sent plenty of soldiers into battle, keep looking, maybe some buttons too :thumbsup:
 
Great :o , wonderful when a plate turns up so far away from a battlefield :icon_thumleft:
 
Great find man! Isn't it great when you go with your gut and it pays off? :hello2:

Happy hunting (from your neighbour in NB)!
 
Hey all those newly recruited units for Mr. Lincoln's army had to train somewhere before they shipped out. Maybe you got a nice camp site going there. But it is a super find in really great condition.
 
That is just awesome ! Nice and way to go.
One does not find items like that here in Alaska .
But if you keep looking I bet you will find a C.S Plate .
 
Great Job at that U S plate Hillshunter :icon_thumleft: four years and I have yet to turn a plate over ! Maybe someday ! Good luck out there ! M.R.
 
Awesome find!!! Congrats on the US plate. :hello2:
-MM-
 
Thanks for all the replys everybody. Civilman said it might be a "baby" plate. What does that mean? I found another US plate at a different location last year however it is on loan to the local historical society so I can't compare sizes at the present time. This plate also has initials on the back of it, however so far I am not able to match them up to any soldiers yet because the last of the 3 is not legible because of several scratches right on it. Wish me luck!
 
Great find! We just left your beautiful state. Loved it up there. Tennessee digger
 
Very nice! :thumbsup: It's amazing how we all seem to get those sweet finds on our way back to the car!
 
MAINE HILLS HUNTER wrote:
> Civilman said it might be a "baby" plate. What does that mean?

Oval-US buckles came in three sizes ...which for convenience we civil war diggers call small, medium, and large. The "baby" US-Oval is of course the small one. Its main body is an oval which measures approximately 71mm by 41mm (2.8-inches by 1.6-inches).
The "medium" size Oval-US buckle measures about 78mm by 46mm (3.05-inches by 1.8-inches).
The "large" size Oval-US buckle is about 88mm x 56mm. (3.45-inches by 2.2-inches).
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom