PNC

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recently opened an account at PNC because they have a branch near my house with a coin counter and I needed a dump bank. Well, I went to another PNC branch near my office with some halves to dump and discovered that the machine does not take halves. Apparently they were having problems with halves and dollars and recalibrated the machine to not take them. Has anyone else come across this at PNC? In PNC won't work as a dump bank, how are they as a source for coins?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I played dumb, hoping that he would waste time going through them.

jr98119

Sep 21, 2011
The Paris of Appalachia
Detector(s) used
bare hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dropped off several coin lok bags of halves last night at a PNC whose coin counter had previously given me big problems. A nice head teller took them, and thanked me for having filled-out and sealed the bags properly. I told him "The word on the street is that PNC is recalibrating their counters to not accept halves." He looked confused and told me that he never heard of such a thing.

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jr98119 - how did you go about being able to drop off coin lok bags? Do you have a merchant's account with them?

By the way, I went to a third PNC that has a coin machine and it takes halves no problem. Strange thing is that each of the three branches with coin machines that I went to have the same machine and are in the same city. Why two branches would calibrate their machines not to take halves and the third one would not is beyond me. Perhaps a CRH came before me to dump a lot of halves and they got sick of dealing with all the halves. Who knows.

jr98119

Sep 21, 2011
The Paris of Appalachia
Detector(s) used
bare hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I don't have a merchant's account. I had asked them for coin-lok bags several times with no success. One time when my halves got stuck in the machine the head teller fished them out and put them in the coin-lok bags herself, at which point I asked her for the bags for my next dump. She complied. Now, all the tellers give me replacement bags when I hand in my bags. The machines here ( Western PA) that give trouble have the holes on the top. Funny though, I was on a roadtrip last month and dumped a ton of halves in the PNC in Georgetown DC, and the machine worked like a charm. What city are you in?

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in DC. I haven't been to the PNC branch in Georgetown (if you are talking about the one right in the middle of Georgetown, on a busy intersection). I have dumped in other PNC branches not far from Georgetown.

All the ones I'ves see here are the same - with the big hole on the top.

jr98119

Sep 21, 2011
The Paris of Appalachia
Detector(s) used
bare hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I think it's on the corner of M and Wisconsin. It has a golden dome and it's gorgeous (and deserted) inside. There's free parking in back if you get a ticket validated.

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks - won't bother to ask them if they have any halves! :laughing9: Then again, I don't hunt at my dump banks anyway.

thripp

Jun 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a bank with a Magner machine last week that doesn't take halves! The machine made weird sounds and they had to open it to get them out of the internal, hidden reject tray. There was 36 cents in other change that I got too. I returned some pennies but it was awfully slow.

The PNC banks around here don't have coin counters, or if they do they are behind the counter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread