🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
C5F07BBB-D754-43BF-87DE-DF19261F1B6D.jpeg
520FFBC8-C16E-4DEA-A34E-D0F63BF383C4.jpeg
Hello, I found a point this past summer and I’m looking for an ID on what exactly and how old it might be. Found just north of North Dakota. Thanks for looking!

Upvote 7
OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say it's a paleo era point, was much longer originally, has been worked down to a nub and likely used as a hafted scraper at the end of its useful life. A keeper for sure!
So this could potentially be 10,000 years old? Pardon my ignorance, I rarely find artifacts like this while metal detecting. Thanks for your input!

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Or it may be a bifurcate at the end of its life. Attrition can remove shoulders/barbs. It also seems very narrow at the base.
Just an observation.

Last edited:

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes it is.
Just to note, I believe this is a Canada find. And an interesting one.
I can only offer general knowledge to form an opinion. The shape is consistent with Paleo and some Archaic forms. But the narrowness of the base stands out to me. Maybe throw a penny down next to the point, or a ruler to give it perspective would help. Hopefully, there is an expert or collector from your region that can help too. If there is a Paleo type that has that very narrow diagnostic, then you may have a type identified as well.

The flaking is random. (Unlike Older's Holland) But that could be due to attrition and resharpening.

Is there grinding in the basal area? This is important to know.

With Paleo Lance types, the basal width (as a general rule) cannot shrink due to attrition because of the concavity. So, assuming the basal width is the only part of the point that can help identify the point, that's where the detective work begins.

Hope to learn from this one.🎓

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can only offer general knowledge to form an opinion. The shape is consistent with Paleo and some Archaic forms. But the narrowness of the base stands out to me. Maybe throw a penny down next to the point, or a ruler to give it perspective would help. Hopefully, there is an expert or collector from your region that can help too. If there is a Paleo type that has that very narrow diagnostic, then you may have a type identified as well.

The flaking is random. (Unlike Older's Holland) But that could be due to attrition and resharpening.

With Paleo Lance types, the basal width (as a general rule) cannot shrink due to attrition. Because the of the concavity. So, assuming the basal width is the only part of the point that can help identify the point, that's where the detective work begins.

Firstly thanks everyone for the replies, much appreciated!

I will post some better more close up pictures tomorrow. I am excited by this find and am interested in learning all I can about it.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

With Paleo Lance types, the basal width (as a general rule) cannot shrink due to attrition. Because the of the concavity. So, assuming the basal width is the only part of the point that can help identify the point, that's where the detective work begins.

That’s a good point about the base probably being as wide as it ever was hadn’t thought about that

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
My first impression is an agate basin with well-defined ground basil hafting area.
Agate basin can have a concave base, basal grinding extending from one-fourth to one-third of the length of the blade from the base on larger examples. The cross section is typically lenticular. a transitional paleo period relic.

But this could also be an un-fluted clovis. un-fluted clovis base is concaved, lacks any fluting, but may have basal thinning and hafting region grinding present. The flaking pattern can range from random flaking to collateral or transverse flaking.
2023-01-18_19-44-27.png

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BDBD9297-E412-462D-8C1F-05DEF852EBFE.jpeg
07056B98-4286-4484-B6B4-3F68E7B395CB.jpeg
61596EC8-49C8-41C4-BD2E-69833E5842B1.jpeg
F7E1F5AB-BFF9-4A1A-90FC-2A9FC6D24D8D.jpeg
31215EFC-32A0-44BD-B577-50B084FB8B51.jpeg
BCE1B6AE-4C6D-4011-8CCA-8630DEB1644A.jpeg
4A1EA341-BD26-47B1-A161-CB138EBD3C12.jpeg
27341D3C-4D57-49F0-A7CD-2CF5F533220C.jpeg
Hi, I’ve attempted to take some better photos. After doing some research at the direction I’ve heard from you all here, it does look to me like it is very very old. In fact it’s the oldest thing fashioned by humans I’ve ever found, so that’s amazing to me! As you can see it’s roughly 1 inch long. How long would it have been when it was first made and used?

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice pictures J!
Again, not my region. But I agree with Lone Star. It has all the Folsom diagnostics. (That is, except for the most important diagnostic; Fluting on both sides). Folsom is an exceptionally rare type, but they have been found from Texas to the Dakotas. So, it's not crazy to think one would end up north of the Decotas.
3/4" total width👍
5/8" basal width (Outside - Ear to Ear)🧐

I still say Narrowness is the key to identifying this point.
Someone from the North-Central region is holding back. Come on guys!

OP
OP
Gridwalker306

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pictures J!
Again, not my region. But I agree with Lone Star. It has all the Folsom diagnostics. (That is, except for the most important diagnostic; Fluting on both sides). Folsom is an exceptionally rare type, but they have been found from Texas to the Dakotas. So, it's not crazy to think one would end up north of the Decotas.
3/4" total width👍
5/8" basal width (Outside - Ear to Ear)🧐

I still say Narrowness is the key to identifying this point.
Someone from the North-Central region is holding back. Come on guys!
Thanks MAMucker for the valuable info. I looked into the points mentioned and I agree that it’s of a very old type. it sounds like this is a bit of a rare find around these parts so I’m
thrilled to have found it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread