cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anything interesting or particulary old with any of these bullets?
DSCN9272.JPG The grey one ( the first one in the second row and the last one in this photo) DSCN9288.JPG looks like it hit a fence pole to make this shape.?.??

DSCN9289.JPG DSCN9283.JPG DSCN9279.JPG DSCN9278.JPG DSCN9276.JPG DSCN9291.JPG
In this one (3 photos same bullet), I am not sure if that mark just accured or if it was part of the bullet. DSCN9275.JPG DSCN9274.JPG DSCN9285.JPG

I am digging in the woods in East Texas (12 Miles of mostly woods) I am in Franklin County Texas on a private ranch. There was one homestead here in the early 1900's. I was told that there may have been a moonshine operation in a specific area here, but after 6 months of detecting, I see no proof of that. I found an area where I believe I have found a second and even a third homestead, but I can only base that on my findings. I only dig hear in the winter months, then I boot out the renters and go back to Wisconsin!

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well being in Texas i'm sure you are going to find a lot of bullets, I can ID a few but I will pass for now and wait i'm sure CannonBallguy or kuger or someone else can nail em all out for yah, if know one answers i will be around in the afternoon! Good night & best of luck in Texas. :sleepy2:

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks to me like you have two cast round balls that have not been fired, but have been dropped and lost. The rest appear to have been fired and hit things that have deformed some of them more than others. The top picture, the third from right looks like that bullet was tumbling for one reason or another, and hit kind of hard on the side instead of point to the front.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to me like you have two cast round balls that have not been fired, but have been dropped and lost. The rest appear to have been fired and hit things that have deformed some of them more than others. The top picture, the third from right looks like that bullet was tumbling for one reason or another, and hit kind of hard on the side instead of point to the front.

Thank you BonsMate for your reply, I am sure this will give some of you a good laugh, but what is a round ball and what do you mean by tumbling ( I know what the word means, does it have another meaning specific to bullets)?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well being in Texas i'm sure you are going to find a lot of bullets, I can ID a few but I will pass for now and wait i'm sure CannonBallguy or kuger or someone else can nail em all out for yah, if know one answers i will be around in the afternoon! Good night & best of luck in Texas. :sleepy2:

Thanks! your little sleepy icon is giving me a bad case of the yawns! LOL

Upvote 0

Pork King

Jan 27, 2013
North Mississippi, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Sharpshooter Ultra Mag
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you BonsMate for your reply, I am sure this will give some of you a good laugh, but what is a round ball and what do you mean by tumbling ( I know what the word means, does it have another meaning specific to bullets)?

A round ball is, well, a round ball. Before bullets were bullet-shaped, round(ish) was a popular shape for them.

Tumbling is exactly what the word means. The bullet (for a number of reasons) can fly through the air tumbling end-over-end instead of straight.

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other

Back before the civil war bullets were round lead balls of different calibers. Early on the size of the bore of a gun was stated by the number of round balls cast from a pound of lead that the gun would shoot. In other words, a gun shooting a 1/2 ounce ball was a 32 guage, which today is stated in hundredths of an inch, or .54 caliber. During the revolutionary war, the British muskets fired a round ball of about .75 caliber, or 12 gage, or 12 balls to the pound of lead. During civil war times the 1861 Colt pistol fired .44 caliber round balls, and the 1851 model fired .36 caliber round balls. So your round lead balls could be dated from the 1700's until today, because there are people like me that still shoot round balls out of muzzle loading firearms. As far as tumbling, a rifle is called a rifle because it has spiral grooves cut in the barrel, and those grooves are called rifling's, which will cause the bullet to spin on it's axis during flight, making it more accurate and that also keeps the pointy nose forward, but sometimes a bullet reaching the end of it's power will tumble end over end before it drops to the ground, or it could punch through a target which could also cause it to tumble, or perhaps bounce off of something, and tumble end over end. You will note that some of your bullets have rifling grooves on them, and some of your bullets have been deformed from hitting something like a rock or wood, or even flesh and bone. The bullets that have a lead core and are covered with copper are called full metal jacket, and unless they hit something really solid they won't deform when fired, but you can see the rifling marks on them.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A round ball is, well, a round ball. Before bullets were bullet-shaped, round(ish) was a popular shape for them.

Tumbling is exactly what the word means. The bullet (for a number of reasons) can fly through the air tumbling end-over-end instead of straight.

Thank you for the information and for not laughing at me! LOL

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back before the civil war bullets were round lead balls of different calibers. Early on the size of the bore of a gun was stated by the number of round balls cast from a pound of lead that the gun would shoot. In other words, a gun shooting a 1/2 ounce ball was a 32 guage, which today is stated in hundredths of an inch, or .54 caliber. During the revolutionary war, the British muskets fired a round ball of about .75 caliber, or 12 gage, or 12 balls to the pound of lead. During civil war times the 1861 Colt pistol fired .44 caliber round balls, and the 1851 model fired .36 caliber round balls. So your round lead balls could be dated from the 1700's until today, because there are people like me that still shoot round balls out of muzzle loading firearms. As far as tumbling, a rifle is called a rifle because it has spiral grooves cut in the barrel, and those grooves are called rifling's, which will cause the bullet to spin on it's axis during flight, making it more accurate and that also keeps the pointy nose forward, but sometimes a bullet reaching the end of it's power will tumble end over end before it drops to the ground, or it could punch through a target which could also cause it to tumble, or perhaps bounce off of something, and tumble end over end. You will note that some of your bullets have rifling grooves on them, and some of your bullets have been deformed from hitting something like a rock or wood, or even flesh and bone. The bullets that have a lead core and are covered with copper are called full metal jacket, and unless they hit something really solid they won't deform when fired, but you can see the rifling marks on them.

Wow I am really glad I asked!!!!! That is a lot of knowledge and you taught me many things! Thank you for taking the time to share ALL of that! I learned a lot tonight, thanks again! :notworthy:

Upvote 0

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the information and for not laughing at me! LOL

The only stupid question is the one you fail to ask!! There is a ton of info around here, and plenty of fine folks with a lot of varied knowledge on many subjects who will always answer to the best of their knowledge without laughing.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cdsieg

cdsieg

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2011
WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only stupid question is the one you fail to ask!! There is a ton of info around here, and plenty of fine folks with a lot of varied knowledge on many subjects who will always answer to the best of their knowledge without laughing.

Thank you gunsil, I appreciate your response.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread