Police Encounter

CopperRocket

Dec 16, 2010
Today I had a visit from the Police...about CRHing of all things! Apparently the manager at my dump bank called the police and reported me for suspicious activity. I guess it is policy for the bank to call the police on members simply using the coin counter once a week. ::)

Anyway, the police officer was very polite and just wanted to make sure I was not stealing them from somewhere. I had to explain the whole hobby, which he found slightly amusing but understandable considering the potential free profits. I think this week I will double my box order so they have to change the bag a few more times....and oh yeah...no doughnuts this week!!! :'(

Upvote 0

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh wow...I guess it makes since..i dont know how much you dump at a time..but im sure to some people it might look like your ripping off coinstars or vending machines..

OP
OP
CopperRocket

CopperRocket

Dec 16, 2010
Diggin-N-Dumps said:
Oh wow...I guess it makes since..i dont know how much you dump at a time..but im sure to some people it might look like your ripping off coinstars or vending machines..

I usually dump about 2-3k per week

Syrys

Oct 2, 2010
Where would you even steal that many half dollars every week? Kind of surprised they did that instead of just asking you. My dump banks gave me looks the first few times, but now they are used to me and I haven't had any problems yet. I also spread my dumps around so each bank only gets $500-1000 a week.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One reason Other people Pokeing
their noses in peoples Buisness should be outlawed !

I'd want the Bank Person Charged for False Reporting
without Proof of a Crime

If appearing Suspicious is a Crime
Being Nosey should be too :coffee2:

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
What a crappy policy. I will be on the heads up for such an encounter. Will be as evasive and cryptic as I can. Was it a big chain?

AGninja

Dec 1, 2010
id call the bank, find the guy in charge and give him hell.

are you a customer at the bank? Its bank policy to call the police on their own customers?

could you let us know what bank that was so that none of us ever use it? heh.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
packerbacker said:
I'm with Jeff and RW. I'd be upset if the cops came to my house over that crap.

Im sure the Cop even thought it was a bit ridiculous..but he has respond to them calls

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggin-N-Dumps said:
packerbacker said:
I'm with Jeff and RW. I'd be upset if the cops came to my house over that crap.

Im sure the Cop even thought it was a bit ridiculous..but he has respond to them calls

Right the Cop was doing his Duty.
It's in his Job Discription.

The Bank Person however oversteped their Duty
of "Customer service"

Of course I Couldn't be a Cop.
I Would have asked the bank Person
What Buisness of theirs was it ?
Unless they were Personally Robbed over & Over of
large amounts of Change, They have no reason
to get involved !

It's called "PRIVACY" :read2:

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
CopperRocket said:
Today I had a visit from the Police...about CRHing of all things! Apparently the manager at my dump bank called the police and reported me for suspicious activity. I guess it is policy for the bank to call the police on members simply using the coin counter once a week. ::)

Anyway, the police officer was very polite and just wanted to make sure I was not stealing them from somewhere. I had to explain the whole hobby, which he found slightly amusing but understandable considering the potential free profits. I think this week I will double my box order so they have to change the bag a few more times....and oh yeah...no doughnuts this week!!! :'(

PocketRocket,
You really should have a talk with this manager.
HH
Rich

treeslayer

Apr 9, 2010
I would call the district manager, and find out why they didnt ask you at the bank. Ive noticed the banks rebeling lately. We have to stand our ground and counter there attack. Good luck .

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Everyone knows all of the bigtime drug dealers and black market fences only operate in large volumes of change. I was trying to think of any type of crime that could be committed that would result in consistently accumulating large amounts of clad coins. What a pain that would be! I couldn't think of any... Maybe an outlaw group of bell ringing Santas? Impersonating Firemen at traffic lights? Makes me think of "My Blue Heaven".

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I agree with the other posters who think the bank was in the wrong here from what the OP says happened.

A bank has the right to file a suspicious activity report anytime they want and the customer does not become aware of it. These are though the US Dept of the Treasury to fight money laundering, etc., and banks are required to file these under certain circumstances.

However, calling the local police to report that a crime has taken place when the activity involved is completely lawful is different. It would be interesting to actually know what the bank told the police regarding the OP and if they revealed private and confidential info.

Jim

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I'd be asking the manager, in point blank fashion, why he called the police.

I'd also be calling his boss, and maybe the highest bank employee I could reach asking why their employee thought it was his duty to call law enforcement.

$ilver$urfer

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with others - I'd schedule a meeting with the bank manager and perhaps the district manager and ask them why they didn't speak to you first about your 'suspicious activity'. What a total slap in the face to treat them so good by letting them use your money to conduct their business and giving them free snacks every week and this is how they repay you? I'm sure you are a loyal bank customer with money in your account/s and this is appalling how they treated you. I would dump heavy on this branch for as long as they can stand and when they say no more coin counter machine I would drop 3K or more in hand rolls on them weekly - what goes around comes around! :thumbsup:

HH,

$ilver$urfer :hello:

OP
OP
CopperRocket

CopperRocket

Dec 16, 2010
Thank you everyone for your support. My wife and kids were very scared that I was being arrested or something. This woman is the branch manager and she definitely overstepped her authority. The police officer was actually embarrassed once I explained everything. He was just doing his job, but it was still very frustrating. You should have seen his face when I told him I also collect copper pennies. ;D

You would think that someone would have reported 20k in stolen halves, if there really was a crime happening!!!LOL Also, if I had stolen 20k in halves WHY would I use my own account with my identity and address to cash them in? I would have eaten the 10% fee and used a bunch of coinstar machines...it would be all profit anyway.

This bank is a local bank (4 branches) in a small town. They have never had someone dump so many halves every week so it freaked them out. I know others are dumping at this branch, just not in the volume that I am. Instead of making a huge stink over this I think I am just going to enjoy how silly she looked and maybe up my volume just to send the subtle message that I am not intimidated and I am NOT going away.

Agro

Dec 13, 2010
Cali
sounds like you have police sanctioned access to the counting machine! you should crank up your order to as much as you can stand!

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
This is a hobby that sure gives you some interesting stories to tell!! Glad it all came out ok. Too bad your kids had to see the officer questioning you. In the eyes of a kid, that has to be a scary thing.

Best to you!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread