Police

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
So I am out this AM detecting near a creek not far from home when all of a sudden I look up and I am staring at a cop walking my way. He comes up and asks me what I was doing. I explained myself to him and he just looks at me like I am strange. He told me he got a call that someone was out here digging.

I showed him some of my finds and he tells me that that was pretty neat. So I asked the guy if he wanted to try. He said sure. I showed him what to do and in less the six or seven swings he got a hit. I look at the VDI and it's a 83. I dug it up for him and it's a clad quarter. He told he has to get into this and get a detector. He told me to have a nice day and left. LOL

8-) I'm sure he appreciated not running into someone who thought he was the enemy. Nice job promoting the hobby.

Thats awesome. Should have got his card and kept him on your side.

That's great,,now if that could happen to every!!!

Sounds like what occurs quite often with Geocaching. :)

Well done! Your attitude must have put him at ease,not acting as you were doing anything you shouldn,t. I,ve been watched a couple times this year but a cheerfull wave ended it. Looking forward to an approach like yours. Thanks for sharing.:icon_thumright:

I LOVE it!

BANNER! :headbang:

DCMatt

Now you can tell everyone that you found a Copper Quarter! :laughing7:
That,s the way to do it. Another LEO on our side.

HH
Steve

I have to agree with every one that was nice day and a good thing that happened for you....:thumbsup:

So... after he left.... did you finish burying the body?:laughing7:
Carl

I would have loved to have seen the face on the snoopy Gladice who made the call too Johnny, instead of citations or cuffs ........a happy cop swinging a MD with ya :laughing7:.......... good story

One for the good guys!

curbdiggercarl57 said:
So... after he left.... did you finish burying the body?:laughing7:
Carl

I thought I was busted for sure. LOL

cool hope he picks it up a dirt fishin rod happy hunting

Former police, 25 years, and when I saw the title I thought, 'Oh no, here it comes again!' Glad you ran into the 99% of us who are able to prioritize and differentiate a crime from a harmless recreational activity. Good post, I liked it. Course that 1% does get around and are way more flamboyant, so they usually get your attention.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back