Politics, Religion, Personal Rants - Where did the Rubber Room go?

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
While I do not agree with Marc for removing the sections of the forums he has removed I think we ALL have to understand one thing......

This is Marc's forum and we are just visiting guests here.

People here are complaining about money. Well let's see you provide a server, electricity, security, storage etc for running the site. This gets expensive! Nothing Marc can do about that. In order for this forum to stay active it needs money and the $20/year I am sure does not begin to cover all the costs.

Marc has a very valid point, in the areas that have been taken down, people got ugly with others because they lacked the emotional maturity to realize that personal attacks on a public forum WAS NOT the way to handle things. That is why the PM function exists. I think that if the rooms come back and anyone attacks anyone else then they should be subjected to banishment from those areas. It is one thing to disagree with someone and quite another to get nasty. Do it by PM. That way if you chose not to have an argument with someone on the forum you simply ignore them and go on.

This is a typical mindset of today's society. "Marc cannot do that because I don't want him to!" Well face it, he can and he has done what he wanted to with HIS forum.

I like TNet because I can come here and discuss detecting with others who are far more experienced and far more knowledgeable about finds etc. I occasionally visited the other areas of the forum and NEVER attacked anyone on purpose. There were a couple of times when what was typed did not come out as intended and this has happened to everyone on this forum!

EVERY day I am forced to deal with people with very definite ideas on politics, religion and other social topics. I have also had the misfortune to come across people that are angry and unable to deal with people who do not agree with them.

Marc, I would personally like to see the removed areas come back, but I am not planning on leaving no matter what you decide. At the risk of sounding like a suck-up, Thank you very much for this forum and the opportunity and wonderful friendships it has provided me with.

Lasivian

May 23, 2003
Spokane, Washington
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
mastereagle22 said:
Well let's see you provide a server, electricity, security, storage etc for running the site.

Actually, that's not terribly expensive in the scheme of things.

What is costly is keeping someone around willing to put effort into things over the long term, through the good and the bad.

That's the hard part of a good forum.

I have years of experience running forums, and I never came close to doing as good a job as Marc has.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Timberwolf said:
Marc,

I'm not really going to miss the Politics Forum (since I'm politically incorrect), or the Personal Rants Forum, but I am going to miss the Religion Forum.

I would like to suggest a Moderator for the Religion Forum: Atlantis0077

I don't know if he would be willing, but he has the experience and I think he would do a wonderful job ;D

Thanks for listening,

Timberwolf

Mmm-hmm, I was sorta thinking the same thing about the Religion forum... and I think Atlantis would be a great choice, along with Timberwolf. The two of them kinda had things pertaining to discussions on lock-down in there anyway. So I guess that would be my suggestion for Moderators for the Religion forum.

And yes, thanks for explaining things Marc... it does make sense.

Bran <><

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok my stick a fork in california post got WAY out of hand and i understand why this was done. before personal rants were deleted a few members asked to have my post removed so i asked Jeff to do so. i think if we all talked to each other in person instead of in here there would be more respect and less arguing. just my 2 cents. :dontknow:

TEXAN Connection said:
Lets face it if you were the moderator and you had to constantly go these sights youd probaly just End them also.
Because Tubecity--This is a treasure hunting sight, take those discussions to another camp fire.
Personaly Id rather go digging, but I of course lately I have been drawn the politics sight, election yr and all.
Let it go. I hope the rubber room and the rants are gone forever.

Funny though you were always posting in politics? ;D

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
mastereagle22 said:
This is Marc's forum and we are just visiting guests here.

Quite true, but it isn't completely a one-way street. There would be no Forums (and no sponsors) without any members.

Jay

K

Kentucky Kache

Nick Pappagiorgio said:
Lasivian said:
SC_hunter said:
If all I wanted to do was talk politics, I would join a forum that was for debate on politics..plain and simple.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

This is a Treasure Hunting Website ... Not Church ~ Not a Voting Booth...

99% of the time it was always the same members in the Rubber Room ...

Since I have been a member, Rarely have I seen anything found while metal detecting or treasure hunting Or advice/contributions to new members concerning the Topic of Treasure Hunting or Metal Detecting by let's say a "Rubber Roomer"... If you guys enjoy discussing Politics And / Or Religion that much I am sure there is a Virtual Plethora of Forums & Web Sites for these topics ...

Personally I am happy it's gone ... IMHO it was not an asset ...

Nick

You hated the Rubber Room THAT much, yet you followed it at least 99% of the time?

Nick Pappagiorgio said:
Lasivian said:
SC_hunter said:
If all I wanted to do was talk politics, I would join a forum that was for debate on politics..plain and simple.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

This is a Treasure Hunting Website ... Not Church ~ Not a Voting Booth...

99% of the time it was always the same members in the Rubber Room ...

Since I have been a member, Rarely have I seen anything found while metal detecting or treasure hunting Or advice/contributions to new members concerning the Topic of Treasure Hunting or Metal Detecting by let's say a "Rubber Roomer"... If you guys enjoy discussing Politics And / Or Religion that much I am sure there is a Virtual Plethora of Forums & Web Sites for these topics ...

Personally I am happy it's gone ... IMHO it was not an asset ...

Nick

We don't care about your opinion, this is a treasure hunting forum! ;D

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
folk tend to do it to themselves --they cause the death of a forum --post copy righted items -- curse and use foul langauge against one another ---belittle and otherwise fail to debate in a reasonible manner --and if they start to lose a "logical" debate of their veiw points rather than admit they are wrong or been logically beaten--they fall back on name calling and personal attacks to fight back. yes it marcs website he has MONEY as well as time invested in this ---as such it is his right to make a profiet and if the actions of some are preventing that (via backers not being willing to sign on to support him due to this)--- he has a fiscal duty to correct the problem --cuz no money = no website at all for him or us --- while I did like the other now missing forums --- at times things got carried away and they were not metal detecting / treasure hunting related for the most part--which is supposed to "main" thrust of the site ---Ivan

Politics is a dirty business. Arguing politics is also usually a dirty business. Politics can bring out the worst and the best in people. But hey, its fun! Learn or not its fun. But, if you take all the hostility, nastiness, ignorance, and hard headedness out its just another boring conversation. I am going to miss the "Players" here :( but I'll get over it. I've found another forum, we are discussing: "no flag on Obama's plane".

"That's too bad" :coffee2: Wes

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
There are obviously a lot of folks going to miss certain sections of the rubber room but I am oh so very glad you are all still here! I kinda like the idea someone posted about having the rubber room be a part of the charter members area. If I did not work so many hours I would surely offer to help in sections of it but gotta pay the bills ya know! Right now I am working around 85 hrs a week and still struggling. lol I do hope things get worked out to where there is a way to at least keep parts of the rubber room alive someplace but if not....well, you know me....I will still be here and oh so very glad of it! Nice to be home!

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Timberwolf said:
we have to have the faith, that it will all work to the good :)

TW

Timb,
It will all work itself out... Rom 8:28... :wink:
As far as this not being a "church"... it's about the body, not the building. :D
And I'm happy to be here!!

Bran <><

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
I'm fine with whatever decision Marc makes.
My biggest worry is that it will become like the other hum drum MD sites on the web.
including those of T-Net's sponsors.
There is a reason why there are so few visitors to those sites.

I paruse them rather than take a sleep aid.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nick Pappagiorgio said:
I thought the Religion Forum was Gone ... :icon_scratch:

:read2: Nope! You are correct... It's not there anymore. :thumbsup:
I guess your next step of complaint should be to get rid of all the Christian MDer's here on the forums. *shrugs*

Bran <><

Nick Pappagiorgio said:
godisnum1 said:
Timberwolf said:
we have to have the faith, that it will all work to the good :)

TW

Timb,
It will all work itself out... Rom 8:28... :wink:
As far as this not being a "church"... it's about the body, not the building. :D
And I'm happy to be here!!

Bran <><

I thought the Religion Forum was Gone ... :icon_scratch:

Remember we don't care what you think! This is a treasure forum, not here for you to gripe! ;D

Old Dog said:
I'm fine with whatever decision Marc makes.
My biggest worry is that it will become like the other hum drum MD sites on the web.
including those of T-Net's sponsors.
There is a reason why there are so few visitors to those sites.

I paruse them rather than take a sleep aid.

It's already there. :(

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Marc

Silver Member
Mar 19, 2003
Northern Hemisphere
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
This was probably just a time out.... but I am still looking for a moderator or two.... and I need to whip up some new sticky notice... how's this....?

"We understand politics and religion can sometimes become heated subjects. Because we don't have the man power to micro manage these hot-topic forums, we reserve the right to delete entire threads in these forums that become unruly, or contain personal attacks or even disparaging personal comments. If you are warned repeatedly of this type of bad behavior, you will be banned from these forums. Thank you for helping us maintain a thoughtful and friendly atmosphere here."

Marc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions