possible cache markers found in Utahs great salt lake desert

LordSoros

Oct 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out wandering the desert of western utah when i came upon this ring of rocks. It was around 10 feet in diameter had no sign of fire use, and had 2 rocks not from the area stacked in the middle (pictured), the top rock seems to be arrow shaped. 100 yards from this circle hidden behind an outcropping i came upon an old post with a can nailed to it. The rock outcropping also seems to have an interesting pointy shape on the top left. 50-75 yards from this first post, further up into the hills, i found a second post but with a larger can nailed to hit. I tried grabbing the can and it fell apart in my hands.

I am 100% newb to treasure signs. As it was these signs that have begun my journey into the hobby. Is it possible i have found some markers? Also, any utahns? i'm looking for a partner.

circle_Clean1.PNG
post_Clean.PNG

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweat lodge remains?

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Cache markers? Not likely. Bottom is a boundary marker. I have actually asked ranchers in rural Nevada about similar structures and was told that they marked a variety of corners and boundaries. Typically grazing boundaries before the BLM took over such things several generations ago. Top is very similar to what my grandchildren routinely make when they visit the other grandparents in rural Idaho. Yep, my grandkids put together rock circles.

Believing that posts, rock circles, and other such thinks are cache markers is a sign of an overactive imagination.

Time for coffee.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen many sweat lodge rings and that looks about the right size. Now whether it is one or not, don't know, but unlikely some kids would be playing out in the desert. My first thought was some crankers. LOL

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think that the can poles are some type of claim markers. The rock circle appears to have at least one and possibly two gaps in the circle. What direction are those gaps facing? That direction is important. It will help determine if it is a sweat lodge circle or possibly even a medicine wheel.

Until you know a little more about the site, keep it to yourself. Don't remove or disturb anything. The area is certainly worth going over with a metal detector. possibly, in the future, soil samples and mineral samples can be taken to determine the possible type of mine it marks.

The can turning to dust should be an important lesson to you.
keep your hands to yourself until you know more about what you are dealing with.

Anyway, that's my nickles worth without a little more info. neat find and possibly even a very special one. I hope it works out well for you.

Deepsix47

geezerdb

Jan 18, 2013
NE Oregon
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab X-Terra 705, Mine Lab GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As a kid I loved to make rock 'monuments' out in the wild. Yeah, deserts included. Rock circles, stacked stones, etc. I shudder now to think how many folks might have come along later and came down with giddy heart palpitations from finding my work. I'm sure some of them must have had grand dreams of riches just waiting nearby, begging to be found.
My best guess would be claim markers, trail markers, corner post markers, etc. Let's hope no kids are building rock monuments like I did!

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wouldnt give up on it . looks interesting, search the area good, maybe someone else will chime in with something
else on utah.

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, I would post it in Jesuit treasure threads. It's part of theirs system.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread