Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this on a school site that has produced a variety of civil war items, but this site has been in use ever since so it is very possible it is more modern. It is brass, but was up against a piece of ferrous metal that stuck to it so the exact shape of the upper portion is hidden until I get it cleaned up. I have no idea what it is. It might be civil war, but it could be more recent. I’m hoping someone out there has seen this item before. Any help would be appreciated. (The grid is quarter inch blocks, the label is cut off in the picture.)

Stay safe, good luck and may your coil lead you to good things.

296C16B3-01A3-4F31-9CB1-DF0337269B4B.jpeg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this on a school site that has produced a variety of civil war items, but this site has been in use ever since so it is very possible it is more modern. It is brass, but was up against a piece of ferrous metal that stuck to it so the exact shape of the upper portion is hidden until I get it cleaned up. I have no idea what it is. It might be civil war, but it could be more recent. I’m hoping someone out there has seen this item before. Any help would be appreciated. (The grid is quarter inch blocks, the label is cut off in the picture.)

View attachment 2055131
Not saying it is this/but it reminded me of this.
Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 8.47.32 AM.png

Upvote 6
OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not saying it is this/but it reminded me of this.
View attachment 2055150
The ball part looks right, but the shaft is thin and not heavy like the bolt on a rifle. (I own several bolt action weapons). Nice try, thanks for the reply. Stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

Upvote 2

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
Upvote 1

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry, but no on the Hames Tip guess... because the Hames Tip's solid ball is always atop a hollow brass sleeve, so it can fit onto the tapered wooden tip of the Hames. Anybody who doesn't believe that is true, please check all the photos at the posted Etsy link (above).

Upvote 3
OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would agree that it is a piece to a holdback iron from a wagon.:icon_thumleft:
Can you send me a link so I can see a picture of a hold back iron? I’m not sure what that is and the internet search is not producing any results.

Upvote 1

Deftone

Jan 10, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another guess maybe a ball clasp for a coin purse or something. Keep in mind the 1/4 inch blocks.

Upvote 1

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Can you send me a link so I can see a picture of a hold back iron? I’m not sure what that is and the internet search is not producing any results.
I can't provide a link, but here is a holdback iron albeit of a little different design.
Screen Shot 2022-11-15 at 7.09.22 AM.jpg

Upvote 1
OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't provide a link, but here is a holdback iron albeit of a little different design. View attachment 2055496

I can see the similarity, but it is brass and the shaft is thin with a definite end. It does not appear to be broken off. Thanks for the input, stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.
Another guess maybe a ball clasp for a coin purse or something. Keep in mind the 1/4 inch blocks.

Again I can see the similarity, but the coin purse balls I have seen are usually much smaller and the shaft is normally longer and has some way to attach the rest of the purse. It doesn’t quite look right, but it is the best possibility so far. Thanks for the input, stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I can see the similarity, but it is brass and the shaft is thin with a definite end. It does not appear to be broken off. Thanks for the input, stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.
That one is made of brass as well. The back edge of yours shows what appears to be a bolt. and a protrusion. Those characteristics would strongly suggest it is a bolt on version.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That one is made of brass as well. The back edge of yours shows what appears to be a bolt. and a protrusion. Those characteristics would strongly suggest it is a bolt on version.
You may be right and it would be nice if you are, but I still have no idea what a hold back iron is or how it was used. Until it was mentioned here I had never heard of one. I have done searches on line and come up with nothing. I am unable to judge the validity of your information unless I understand what it is we are talking about or at least see more examples for comparison.

Thanks for your input and persistence, stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 2055131
Coat hook.

images

Reactions: ARC
Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions