What's new

Possible discodial?

chrishavoc

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2017
Messages
26
Reaction score
44
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked this up after a recent flood while hunting rocks. I believe it is a discodial, but I'm not sure. None have been found locally that I am aware of, and I haven't seen one in person. Most examples I have seen are polished stone. I welcome any and all opinions on a possible id!
South MS 1497503195409.webp20170613_133756.webp20170613_133801.webp20170613_133749.webp

Sent from my SM-G900R7 using Tapatalk
 
Upvote 0
How far are u from the ocean?
 
How far are u from the ocean?
57.8 miles exactly! Inshore saltwater fishing is another sickness I have!

Sent from my SM-G900R7 using Tapatalk
 
Great article Charl, thanks for the information!
As for the drill core theory; it makes sense, except there is no solid rock to blast through in this area. It's all clay, sand, and gravel. I would have to travel at least 100 miles north to find rock big and thick enough to require dynamite. I appreciate the help on thinking this out!

I have a friend who works in the geology field. I am going to send him a few pictures and see if I can get the material identified.

Sent from my SM-G900R7 using Tapatalk

I was thinking, regarding the core theory, if you look at the core that arrow86 posted, the core is perfectly smooth on the exterior of the core. Which is as it should be, and would be, with any stone core. The fact that your object has a grainy exterior is a strong argument against it being a core; it should have an exterior perfectly smooth.
 
Here's a broken sandstone core, showing a smooth exterior. I guess if your object was a very loosely consolidated sandstone, or similar rock, maybe it deteriorated in the time since it was drilled, resulting in the somewhat rough exterior.

Rocks - Drilled Sandstone Core

9253258C-0834-47D1-AFCE-03A5D96CD287-52303-00001BB4AEBD1FC8.webp
 
I saw some photos similar to this as well. It leans me more toward mine being "pottery" . Still not sure of the material though.

Sent from my SM-G900R7 using Tapatalk
 
Was it a creek find? Could help solve the mystery.
 
Was it a creek find? Could help solve the mystery.
Yes it was. We don't normally find many artifacts in the creek at this site, but I always pick up one or two points after flooding. We mainly hunt the hillsides surrounding it.

Sent from my SM-G900R7 using Tapatalk
 
With it being in the roundish shape it could of washed from any place or traveled a long ways depending in how long the creek is. To me it looks like something but I dont think its a disc personally just by the thickness of it. Most disc I have seen are thinner than that no matter how big around they are at least in my area.
 
With it being in the roundish shape it could of washed from any place or traveled a long ways depending in how long the creek is. To me it looks like something but I dont think its a disc personally just by the thickness of it. Most disc I have seen are thinner than that no matter how big around they are at least in my area.
Thanks for your input Rock! The creek is not very long.....the piece in question was found maybe 2 miles from where it starts. However I know of at least 3 or 4 trash piles from the last hundred years that this could have washed out of on our property alone. Other than the marerial, it reminds me of a piece of modern brick.

I am convinced it's man made. We know for sure that people have been using this creek for at least 500 years, possibly much longer.

Sent from my SM-G900R7 using Tapatalk
 
Looks like sandstone to me but I dont think its natural not sure if its NA though.
 
Here is the core I found at Summersville Lake (Gauley River) in WV. It is Nuttall Sandstone which made the New and Gauley rivers famous for climbing. Denser than your example but dimensions seem the same, even that raised lip. Is there any indication of the raised line that spirals around the core that I have tried to show in my last pic? This piece was found outside of the water, along an old road that the sides were blasted.
Cheers! I'll be on the lake tomorrow looking for artifacts, weird geofacts and relaxation!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499922354.525079.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499922389.340771.webpImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1499922440.890745.webp
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom