✅ SOLVED Possible geofacts, thought I should ask

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One day I will find something nice to share. In the mean time, there are some pieces I have been scratching my head about since last year and finally thought it might be worth asking about these.

This first one (1) I found in my favorite local field. It seems like it would make a nice scraper and appears to be sharpened. Also it would tie very nicely to a stick and is very symmetrical. What seems off to me is how much of what looks like cortex is still on a good part of the surface and the way the patina on the reverse almost implies that the rough shape itself is natural.
FieldStone2015-Img_0694SSS.jpg

FieldStone2015-Img_0695SSS.jpg

FieldStone2015-Img_0696SSS.jpg

FieldStone2015-Img_0697SSS.jpg

FieldStone2015-Img_0698SSS.jpg

FieldStone2015-Img_0700SSS.jpg

These next ones (2A and 2B) are from the same fields. Left one has a nice sharp edge but also has a bit of a quartz pocket exposed. The right one seems to have a notch and also has a couple edges that look sharpened and seems like it might be a broken-something, or maybe just nature playing more tricks on me.
FieldStones2015-Img_0711SSS.jpg

FieldStones2015-Img_0712SSS.jpg

FieldStones2015-Img_0713SSS.jpg

FieldStones2015-Img_0714SSS.jpg

These 2 (3A and 3B) are from my property. I am always checking the garden, wash outs and dug up areas. Left one from a dug up area and right one from the garden. They both seem like scrapers with sharpened edges. The one on the left seems nice to me but of course would love opinions on it, the one on the right has a flaking pattern that almost looks machined, like it was a victim of my snow blower or something. Since I don't see any other pieces of the same material I figured I would ask. Because of where it was found I cannot rule out that the one on the right wasn't brought in with some gravel during some landscaping work.
YardStones2015-Img_0704SSS.jpg

YardStones2015-Img_0705SSS.jpg

YardStones2015-Img_0708SSS.jpg

YardStones2015-Img_0709SSS.jpg

YardStones2015-Img_0710SSS.jpg

Thanks for looking. Here is a random pic of a starry sky from my yard. :)

Stars-2016-04-06SSS.jpg

Upvote 0

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most times if the piece is curved and has ripples on it it was struck by man. Like pic 12 the white one. But as far as tools go I dont see any intact ones as far as I know. Still fun to get out and have a look.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pictures 14 and 15 light pink looks like a flake knife, the rest are just rocks...

OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most times if the piece is curved and has ripples on it it was struck by man. Like pic 12 the white one. But as far as tools go I dont see any intact ones as far as I know. Still fun to get out and have a look.

Yeah it is definitely nice to get out and look, especially after waiting through winter. I spent 4 hours on a field last Sunday that I believe to be in a good location and found nothing really worth sharing (2 tiny flakes, 1 weird fossil thing). I thought for sure that much effort would reward me with my first point. Still though walking in a field, taking in the nature and just breathing the fresh air is a reward in itself. I just gotta keep looking and work on finding some more areas to hunt. I still haven't given up on the local fields though. Lots of area to cover yet.

OP
OP
EricTheCat

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pictures 14 and 15 light pink looks like a flake knife, the rest are just rocks...

Interesting that both of you point out the same item. I knew it was not natural but I am just not used to the pattern like it has where it has almost a circular look to it on the one side. Hopefully my next finds are more up to par.

Thanks both of you, happy hunting.
Eric

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread