What's new

Possible ID?

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2007
Messages
1,379
Reaction score
642
Golden Thread
1
Location
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
found at a Boy Scout camp ground. The area was also used during the civil war.
 

Attachments

  • 019.webp
    019.webp
    116.7 KB · Views: 466
  • 018.webp
    018.webp
    117.6 KB · Views: 451
Maybe a perfume button.

Made in the mid-1800's, they have an underlay of velvet fabric with a pierced, ornate brass overlay. The perfumes of the Victorian Era were oil based, and when used on the skin, would soil the women's' clothing. These buttons were designed so women could dab their perfume on the velvet of the button, thus, protecting their clothing and carrying the scent for a long time. Keep reading…you will love this. During the Civil War, women would give such a button, scented with their perfume, to a husband or lover going off to war. He would stitch it under his uniform collar as a reminder of the love he left behind.
 
Upvote 0
taz42o said:
Maybe a perfume button.

Made in the mid-1800's, they have an underlay of velvet fabric with a pierced, ornate brass overlay. The perfumes of the Victorian Era were oil based, and when used on the skin, would soil the women's' clothing. These buttons were designed so women could dab their perfume on the velvet of the button, thus, protecting their clothing and carrying the scent for a long time. Keep reading…you will love this. During the Civil War, women would give such a button, scented with their perfume, to a husband or lover going off to war. He would stitch it under his uniform collar as a reminder of the love he left behind.

Good call Taz! It sure looks like a Victorian perfume button with a self shank. I agree!
 
Upvote 0
"with a self shank."
What is a self shank?
 
Upvote 0
shanegalang said:
"with a self shank."
What is a self shank?
It may be a drilled shank or a cast shank. ...not sure.
 

Attachments

  • button patent self shank.webp
    button patent self shank.webp
    23.1 KB · Views: 328
  • button self shank.webp
    button self shank.webp
    16.5 KB · Views: 301
  • button patent self shank.webp
    button patent self shank.webp
    23.1 KB · Views: 338
  • button self shank.webp
    button self shank.webp
    16.5 KB · Views: 299
Upvote 0
shanegalang said:
"with a self shank."
What is a self shank?

Self shank means the shank is part of the button back and not a an added seperate piece.
 
Upvote 0
taz42o said:
shanegalang said:
"with a self shank."
What is a self shank?

Self shank means the shank is part of the button back and not a an added seperate piece.
Its been a while since I read the patent but I always thought self shank was invented in 1933 to sew buttons on with machinery.

Heres a good description of the different button types from Alberts. I believe this button falls in the first category IA. Its hard to see a side picture will help.
 

Attachments

  • Button_Types.webp
    Button_Types.webp
    197 KB · Views: 312
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
bigcypresshunter said:
Montana Jim said:
taz42o said:
shanegalang said:
"with a self shank."
What is a self shank?

Self shank means the shank is part of the button back and not a an added seperate piece.

Yup

Source: http://www.buttoncountry.com/shanks.htm
Cool button chart. Ill save it. My source is only the US Patent office. Can you tell me which button the shank on shangalang's button is closest to?

Nope, His does not look like any from the chart, not exactly anyway.

I'm just referencing the "self shank" question, which is simply what taz420 said... It's pressed from the same material the back is made from. The OP's picture looks like a self shank - that is to say, it looks like the shank is simply part of the button back material itself.
 
Upvote 0
It doesnt look like a self shank to me. Of course a side pic would help. Glove shank?
 
Upvote 0
I think a metal self shank. Looks to me like it was pressed thru a solid piece. It doesn't appear to be attached. I took another picture to show size. The larger piece about the size of a quarter and the smaller the size of a dime. i cleaned it better and the middle separated from the back. Hope I didnt screw it up and it makes me wonder how it stayed together. Perhaps it was just tight enough to stay put? Also I wonder what metals these are. The smaller piece is greenish like copper but the back is more like gold (ish), untarnished.
 

Attachments

  • 013.webp
    013.webp
    50.9 KB · Views: 265
Upvote 0
OK I see with the new pic its pressed out. I thought it was cast or drilled. I guess its a different kind of self shank than the one patented in 1935 and the ones pictured.
 
Upvote 0
Ok guys, first thank you, and second.....side shot. Also. the rim of the inside piece has little "ridges" if you will, not unlike a dime has.
 

Attachments

  • 014.webp
    014.webp
    4.8 KB · Views: 263
  • 016.webp
    016.webp
    7.5 KB · Views: 257
Upvote 0
shanegalang said:
Ok guys, first thank you, and second.....side shot. Also. the rim of the inside piece has little "ridges" if you will, not unlike a dime has.
yep they are correct. Its not cast or molded.
 
Upvote 0
" Its not cast."
What does this mean?
 
Upvote 0
shanegalang said:
" Its not cast."
What does this mean?
The IA diagram from Alberts shows a cast button shank. Originally I couldnt tell by looking at your original picture. Ignore the diagram I posted as the shank is not cast or molded. I guess its an old self shank type thats pressed out (and not pictured), just like taz and MJ said..
 
Upvote 0
I believe taz is right on with the ID - Victorian perfume button.

perfumebuttonB2.jpg


DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
Everything seems to point at a Perfume button. The area is really close to an old plantation, guess that would also make sense. I will be doing some more hunting out there!!
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Replies
12
Views
860
Replies
9
Views
1K
  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Shoe tap?
Replies
3
Views
253

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom