Mr.Waffles

Mar 27, 2015
South West
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Alright good people of TreasureNet, I am in need of your help once again.
Somewhere in the Sonoran Desert of Arizona is a very large hilltop (locals call it a mountain but it's not). At the base of that hilltop are petroglyphs, extremly common for this area. On the other side of the hill, I've found pottry. These relics are from the ancient Hohokam people. I've never posted pics becuase it wasnt anything too exciting. There is a trail that goes to the top of the hill and leads to absolutley nothing, however on the side of the "mountain" completely off the path I've found two sets of stone circles.

All of the rocks are volcanic basalt. The circle in the fisrt pic is almost 6ft in diameter and the second circle (pics 2 & 3) is closer to 5ft. The smaller of the two is in much worse shape and slightly overgrown but still very circular. (sorry, the pic isnt very good).

The first is obviously man made, but ancient...I'm not totally sure. The second one could be natural but I sincerly doubt it. IF either of these are Native American, what could they have possibly been used for? I cant figure a purpose for somthing so small.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.JPG

Ya'll are way cooler than me at this relic hunting business so I thought I'd seek your opinions. Thanks!

Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely look like artifact structures from the natives in your area

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mr.Waffles

Mr.Waffles

Mar 27, 2015
South West
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sweat lodges.

The shape might be right but their hogans are usually a lot bigger. Good news is that it's raining today. Hopefully I can head back out there this weekend and take a look around and find more clues.

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dry storage maybe? Hides and such? just trying to be imaginative here.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
sweat lodges is a good idea to explore

OP
OP
Mr.Waffles

Mr.Waffles

Mar 27, 2015
South West
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sweat lodges.

So, looking into sweat lodges from way back when and it doesn't seem like they were very big. I guess that makes sense. If you're gonna fill a room with steam, it'd be hard if the room was really large. I really appreciate everyone's input so far.

eastTNJoe

Mar 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am no expert on Southwest native sites but that first pic seems "fresh" and not old. Are those stones stacked up in the background? It seems like they would have tumbled over after awhile…but what do I know? The other pic looks a bit more overgrown…interesting for sure.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am no expert on Southwest native sites but that first pic seems "fresh" and not old. Are those stones stacked up in the background? It seems like they would have tumbled over after awhile…but what do I know? The other pic looks a bit more overgrown…interesting for sure.

I kinda agree. Anything exposed would weather and trap wind blown seeds after hundreds of years. I see vegetation in the area. Maybe someone goofing around and emulating ancient areas like you see and have in your area?

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The repeated stacks of stones just above the ring of stones on the ridge above it in the first picture are what really get my curiosity up. I'm not intimately familiar with that tribes customs, but amongst other tribes stones stacked vertically like those means "end of the trail". This can also have a spiritual counterpoint put in memorial to the departed. Could also be aligned with astronomical features, or be a mapping center where stacks could be lined up with important spiritual places, or actual concentrated tribal population centers. Could also be just somebody recently fooling around there, but I have a gut feeling about them as being ancient.
Whatever they are I find them very interesting and I hope you can unravel the mystery of these sites you have located. Cheers!!

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the storage idea patient.I would think any dwelling or sweat lodge would have been on flatter ground...mjm

OP
OP
Mr.Waffles

Mr.Waffles

Mar 27, 2015
South West
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I agree, the stacked stones in the background raised some doubts with me as well, but I find that people will stack stones near anything of interest around here, whether it be Indian/ petroglyphs ruins or neat rock formations. So even if the stacked stones are recent it doesn't mean that the circles aren't old. Btw, I really appreciate everyone's input so far. It's raining this weekend and I'm excited to head back there on Monday and see if anything new shows up in the dirt. I'll keep ya'll posted. :)

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it's prehistoric, but from the historic era. As for a sweat lodge, I've never seen one on top of a hill. They are usually close to water, cause when you come out you run jump in the creek. Could be exceptions in different cultures. But that's way too much work for a sweat lodge. I thought hunting blind, observation post, defensive position, etc. There's an entry way it appears in the second pic. Were there sheepherders in that area? Might be something they constructed. And post some petroglyph pics if you can. Always like to see those.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mr.Waffles

Mr.Waffles

Mar 27, 2015
South West
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Alright. I visited this place again and I think I've formed my conclusion.
Yes it is an ancient Hohokam Native American site. This is based on the fact that I have found in this spot today, pottery and baked mixture of mud that is commonly used as a sort of mortar in similar ruins nearby. I doubt very much (although not certain) that the larger circle is very old. The small pile of water bottles in it today and the fact that all of the stack rocks (mentioned in previous have been knocked over shows that, although this area may be hidden, it's not a secret to some. I have also found "petroglyphs" but I have never seen a triangle petroglyph before and doubt it's validity. But then again it was very hard to find. So if anyone is an expert on glyphs let me know what you think.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430277421.692443.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430277442.860509.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430277462.747322.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1430277479.198380.jpg

Last edited:

ghp95134

Sep 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possible Vision Quest Site?

Found something similar on a "Sign Talk" site where a small circle of stones is described as a Vision Quest site:

17985_798468440235216_8879339897343183697_n.jpg

Vision Quest site at Petroglyph Canyon, Montana

source

Ron Garritson, the FB page owner, teachs the Plains Indian Sign Language in the Natie American Studies Department at Montana State University-Billings. If you are interested in "talking sign" and have read William Tompkins' book Indian Sign Language, Garritson's FB page would offer good reinforcement training.

--Guy Power

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread