What's new

possible slave tag???

po boy

Tenderfoot
Joined
Dec 12, 2007
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
tn
Detector(s) used
tesoro cutlass 2 umax
I need help identifing this tag. I couldn't find much on the internet.
 

Attachments

  • tag.webp
    tag.webp
    19.7 KB · Views: 486
Welcome to T-Net Po Boy!


Sorry, Not a slave tag

That is a tag used by the
Tennessee Coal, Iron and Railroad Co (T.C.I. & R.R. CO.)
ENSLEY refers to Ensley Alabama

The Ensley Works was an open-hearth steel plant operating between 1888 and 1976 in Ensley Alabama. It was owned by the Tennessee Coal, Iron and Railroad Company (TCI), which became a division of U.S. Steel in 1907. For much of its existence, Ensley Works was the largest producer of steel ingots and rail in the Southern United States.

Nice find :icon_thumleft:

GG~
 
Upvote 0
What would a tag like this be used for?
 
Upvote 0
po boy said:
What would a tag like this be used for?

They put them on slaves who worked there..................................... :tongue3:

Sorry I couldn't resist.


Numbered tags such as the one you found have been used to tag any number of items in factories. such as parts, lockers, keys, tools, equipment, etc.
Could have been used on almost any item that was company property.

GG~
 
Upvote 0
Thats cool thanks for the information. :icon_thumleft:
 
Upvote 0
Nice find po boy! Good info GG.

Only Charleston and Charleston Neck, a small suburb of Charleston, actually issued slave hire badges and they are all properly marked.
 
Upvote 0
Is this tag worth anything? Just curious.
 
Upvote 0
i know that people collect things of that sort, but I would hold onto it just cuz I think its pritty cool :laughing7:
 
Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum! Cool vintage railroad tag, Breezie
 
Upvote 0
joshua 2brooks said:
does anybody know how much something like that would be worth

The best way to find out the current selling price would be to do a search on Ebay. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
If you'd be will to, I'll trade something fer that tag, just send me a pm if you're interested :read2:
 
Upvote 0
joshua 2brooks said:
does anybody know how much something like that would be worth
I don't think it would be worth too much being that its from an obscure railroad company and not a mainline company. I think the value would be higher in the local area (Alabama) to a local collector. Just my opinion. Less than 10 dollars. Then again who knows, it worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom