What's new

Pounding the pasture - I think I sharded - VIDEO too

ModernMiner

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2007
Messages
14,115
Reaction score
4,541
Golden Thread
4
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
5
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out to detect a bit after work today at the plantation house pasture. I recently paid to have it bush hogged and plowed because the owners let it get overgrown after the horses were gone. It's still very clumpy but seems to be smoothing out as we get rain. There were pottery & glass shards showing up everywhere, and I think I found a piece of an arrowhead today. :dontknow:
My only coins so far since it was plowed were a 1965 quarter and two nickels (1946 & 1948). No silver or Colonials yet. :(
Pictured are my finds from today and a video I shot.

Enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2REp4sl2OY

The button in the dirt clod turned out to be an 1800's flat button with "Imperial Treble Gilt" back mark.
The other button is an 1800's also with a wreath design backmark. I can't make out the lettering though. ???

Any ideas on the huge thing that looks like a large nail or engine valve? It has a square shaft (not round) so I don't think it's a valve. :dontknow:

Thanks for looking and happy hunting this weekend,
MM
 

Attachments

  • MVC-036S.webp
    MVC-036S.webp
    17.4 KB · Views: 794
  • MVC-037S.webp
    MVC-037S.webp
    18.6 KB · Views: 779
  • MVC-038S.webp
    MVC-038S.webp
    24.6 KB · Views: 781
  • MVC-039S.webp
    MVC-039S.webp
    19.1 KB · Views: 782
  • MVC-040S.webp
    MVC-040S.webp
    19.2 KB · Views: 787
  • MVC-041S.webp
    MVC-041S.webp
    9.3 KB · Views: 775
Upvote 0
Nice Finds :icon_thumright:
Great Vid!!
 
Neat finds MM. Can't figure out what that thing was for either. I'll keep thinking about that one!
 
Nice finds, Congrats......
 
seger98 said:
Neat finds MM. Can't figure out what that thing was for either. I'll keep thinking about that one!

Thanks Seger.
Any snow up in Wisconsin yet? :wink:
Have a good weekend,
Doug
 
ModernMiner said:
seger98 said:
Neat finds MM. Can't figure out what that thing was for either. I'll keep thinking about that one!

Thanks Seger.
Any snow up in Wisconsin yet? :wink:
Have a good weekend,
Doug

Back down in Alabama again for the winter, but we did have 4 small snow falls before we left. :(
 
The relic hunting legend, digger dug, is back on the horse at the Colonial farm. :laughing9: :headbang: The plowing will lead to more coins being found there; you just have to be patient and they will come to you eventually.

Good luck on your return trips to the former horse pasture, Dugster!

Sir Kyle
 
Nice Finds MM-I did not know you were a farmer too!!! The pin piece could be a blacksmith made wagon pin upset on the end to keep it from falling through the holes. HH.
 
cool vid, and great finds, what is the large round item in first pic at the top of the pic? I have found several of them, and have no clue what they are?
 
Goes4ever said:
cool vid, and great finds, what is the large round item in first pic at the top of the pic? I have found several of them, and have no clue what they are?

Thanks G4E,
That is a buggy / cart rein guide I was told. I have about 6 of them myself.
-MM-
 
that makes sense, I have found them at 1800's homesteads
 
KylePA said:
The relic hunting legend, digger dug, is back on the horse at the Colonial farm. :laughing9: :headbang: The plowing will lead to more coins being found there; you just have to be patient and they will come to you eventually.

Good luck on your return trips to the former horse pasture, Dugster!

Sir Kyle

Kyle,
Send a few of those Colonial coppers down this way, and I'll send you a nice collection of "vintage" field iron. :tongue3:
Thanks buddy,
Sir Dug
 
VOL1266-X said:
Nice Finds MM-I did not know you were a farmer too!!! The pin piece could be a blacksmith made wagon pin upset on the end to keep it from falling through the holes. HH.

Heck yes I'm a farmer. I'll send you a picture of my melons. :laughing9: I'm trying to develop a money tree now to help get my kids through college.
Thanks for the guess VOL.
-Doug-
 
Hey, I am a mechanic. And that piece that you have in your picture is an intake or exhaust valve from any standard motor. Just thought you'd like to know.
 
I just realized, I'm pretty sure that I found one of those valve thingies that's not a valve, also at an early site I hunted. I tossed it in a box from the site, if I remember correctly. I believe I may still have it. I hope! I hope I did not toss it, thinking it was a modern thing.

It may be that it's a specialized use tool. If it has squared sides, it is certainly not an automobile part.

This really has me thinking now.

HH,
R.I.
 
capndan151 said:
Hey, I am a mechanic. And that piece that you have in your picture is an intake or exhaust valve from any standard motor. Just thought you'd like to know.

Im gonna go with capndan on that last pic being a valve from an engine. you can see the "seat" on the head of the valve. Probably from an old tractor or model T. First thing i thought when i saw it. Oh the joy of replacing and lapping valves. But could be wrong :dontknow: Looks like you are in a good spot. Nice finds, Better than i did today!
 
Nice video Doug. Those pottery shards are very decorative. It's too bad we cant see what they looked like before broken. My backyard needs bushhogged. I know you have been busy lately but you promised to come up and do it your self. I dont have all year you know. :laughing7:
Chris
 
capndan151 said:
Hey, I am a mechanic. And that piece that you have in your picture is an intake or exhaust valve from any standard motor. Just thought you'd like to know.

Weddle546 said:
capndan151 said:
Hey, I am a mechanic. And that piece that you have in your picture is an intake or exhaust valve from any standard motor. Just thought you'd like to know.

Im gonna go with capndan on that last pic being a valve from an engine. you can see the "seat" on the head of the valve. Probably from an old tractor or model T. First thing i thought when i saw it. Oh the joy of replacing and lapping valves. But could be wrong :dontknow: Looks like you are in a good spot. Nice finds, Better than i did today!

Would an intake/exhaust valve have a square stem? ??? I thought they were round, but I know nothing about tractors. :dontknow:
-MM-

Colonial Copper Zeus said:
Nice video Doug. Those pottery shards are very decorative. It's too bad we cant see what they looked like before broken. My backyard needs bushhogged. I know you have been busy lately but you promised to come up and do it your self. I dont have all year you know. :laughing7:
Chris

Chris,
I did stop by, and knocked on the door, but no one was home. I didn't want to trespass, so I came all the way home to NC. I even had a 12/pack with me. :tongue3: :laughing9:
I'll catch you in the spring I guess.
-Doug-
 
Rusted_Iron said:
I just realized, I'm pretty sure that I found one of those valve thingies that's not a valve, also at an early site I hunted. I tossed it in a box from the site, if I remember correctly. I believe I may still have it. I hope! I hope I did not toss it, thinking it was a modern thing.

It may be that it's a specialized use tool. If it has squared sides, it is certainly not an automobile part.
This really has me thinking now.
HH,
R.I.

R.I.,
Dig that sucker out. I'd like to see it too. :icon_thumleft:
-MM-
 
Nice video!!! :icon_thumleft:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom