Powder Buildings?! Pictures attached now.....

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
I've been invited to hunt an old rural farm which the current owner says used to have two civil war era powder buildings.? I didn't ask but have since assumed that this may mean an outbuilding that gun powder was stored in.? Anyone ever hear of powder buildings or powder rooms?

How far away would powder storage be from a likely camp or staging area?

For what it's worth, the buildings are still standing....

Attachments

• DSCF0138.JPG
    DSCF0138.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 256
  • DSCF0139.JPG
    DSCF0139.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 259
Upvote 0
Re: Powder Buildings?!

Dont know much abought powder bldg, But a couple of CW fort sites in my area, Fed,Parks, had them dug into the ground with not much of a raised roof. Hope this helps.HH

Took a good look at them yesterday evening...looks like both cellars have "recent" roofs put on. Also found some initials on the inside...."A.W.E. Camp 7 1931"

I'm beginning to doubt the Civil War story...might have been a work camp....still a good place to swing.

1320 Now that you have your pic,s up it does look like it could have been a powder bldg,But from when is the ?HH

almost every old mine around here has one. "Powder Building" :)

i've seen somthing similar to these but they were build by my friends uncles and dad. they used them for food storage and spring water at camp long before elec. was run up to it. temp stayed about the same in there year round. that was in northern NH. not much civil war acton up there...serb

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back