What's new

Predicting a good box.

kickstart

Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2007
Messages
263
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Ga.
How good is your "gut" instinct? How far into the box before you
can tell if its a skunk or a winner? Does silver on the edges mean
a great box?
All my theories were shot to hell last week with my boxes. I had been complaining about how the boxes I was getting had dried out and was changing source banks. Well the 2 boxes I got from my new
source last week had a total of 5 keepers. My old boxes were all
winners. Especially 1 box with all the WLs and BFs. A total of 88
keepers in that one box. There were only 3 silvers on the ends of
that box. I've got 4 boxes from my new source coming in this week and 6 from my old source.

My point is directed at others as well as myself. You never know
what your gonna get. Don't get discouraged by skunk boxes. I got
10 in a row before my luck changed.

Good luck to you all.
 
Upvote 0
I use the ends as a gauge of how a box will turn out but like you said.....I have been surprised myself.

You just never know.

Good luck on the boxes you have coming in. Keep us posted.
 
I have weighed rolls before and can usually tell if there's a 90% in a roll. But my scale weighs in 2 gram incriments. A normal $10 roll will weight in at 224-226. Some times a roll will show 222 sometimes those rolls are "casino coins" sometimes no noticable wear. Anything below 222 is a short roll. Anything over 226 is liklely a 90% or several 40% or it could be a peice of debis in the roll. I have had heavy rolls that had some string or peice of plastic or even some tape. Once I had a novelty smashed penny in a roll that still had 20 halves. A more accurate scale would help. But I still think the weight of 20 coins vary enough to make it 100% accurate. Let alone a scale that would show weight down to the gram resolution and weigh a whole box would be megabucks.
 
I think I figured a box full of 90% would weigh about 3 lbs. more than a skunk box. Would take a good postal scale to weigh that much and accurately. Mark
 
Some of my predictors are:

Outside of the box -

1) Most of my good boxes appear a little beat up from the outside. Almost like they have been sitting for a while

2) Another indicator would be the taping. If you order four boxes and one box has tape running differently than usual that box has a good chance of being good.

3) I also seem to have better luck with boxes that have been written on by the carriers. I still don't know why.

Inside of the box -

1) Obvious silver on ends

2) Change in wrapping paper from yellow to brown or black tends to be an indicator of a good run coming up. It might not be that box but within a few boxes.

Of course I think it is easier just to crack open a few rolls. If you get multiple silvers in the first three rolls you have a good box.

65GT350
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom