Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
De Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 Dash 7 - Fugro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably not possible to determine an age or who made them. You'd need to study the context of the site and associated findings. Even then it would probably be a guess over a few thousand years, with no way of determining a "who".

A few of these look like they may have been "cores". That being, the important part was what has been removed. The flakes taken off then used to make tools.

Most of these others might fit into one of three categories.

First, hand tools, not meant to be hafted. Generic butchering tools, used as hand scrapers / knives. Not overly important, and often made and used for a single project and then tossed.

Second, trimmed stones, meant to be saved for future needs. The bad parts of the stones are trimmed off, revealing good, usable rock to be saved, brought back to camp, and available when a specific tool might need to be made.

Third, because this is a variety of good looking stone ... they would trim the stones and save them to trade with other groups. "Trade blanks", might be a good term.

Most are trimmed down enough to take the shape of "bifaces", using the term very freely. Some shaped into a (possible) knife shape, but, without very close scrutiny, it would be hard to tell if they actually were used as a knife, or if they were simply shaped up as such to be made into finished tools, later.

Neanderthal and Colorado are worlds apart, and the terms don't belong together.

The one striking thing I gather from your pics are the variety of colors, and seemingly good quality of stone. Whoever these people were, they knew how to select their stone, and how to trim it down to the good stuff.

My guess is that there are some nice specific tools to be found on this ranch. Keep your eyes open for "quarry sites" where they were sourcing this rock. Cliff sides, pits dug in the ground, or maybe even a nearby waterway where they could have found an assortment of rocks.

Also, watch for "habitation sites". Where you'll find more succinct tools. Atlatl points and knives, possibly spear points.

What seems to be lacking here, is the refined tools. The ones meant to be saved and used and kept.

Nice looking stones. Possibly dating back to a time and people that were "nomadic" who knew how to gather good stone as they roamed, but never settled for long and then moved on.

Upvote 0

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Plug n Play, Thank you for the education...that's one of the best responses
I've seen for understanding ancient stone tools.

Trizor..could ya lose the CAPITAL letters? In "forumspeak", you're shouting...8-)

As PnP said, you'll need to do some research to find out which peoples
were in that area. I'm sure the University of Wyo. library (or Archeology
Dept.) can give you the info.

Very cool finds..

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not related to Neanderthal (the Neander Valley is in France).

Might be Paleo-Clovis of Folsom Culture scrapers, or the remnants left from fashioning scrapers. Folks been in Colorado for 12,000 years or more.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

trizor999

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2021
Brush, Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'VE THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE A QUARY BECAUSE THESE COLORFUL ROCKS COVER THE WHOLE 10,000 ACRES. EVERYWHERE WE LOOK WE FIND THESE TOOLS, BUT NEVER A SUPER NICE, FINISHED PRODUCT. WE HAVE NEVER FOUND AN ARROWHEAD OR POINT OF ANY KIND, SO I ASSUMED THESE WERE FINISHED PIECES. WE NEVER HAVE HAD TO DIG FOR ROCKS, ALL OF THE PIECES FOUND ARE ON THE SURFACE, MANY HAVE BEEN BLOWN OVER I'M SURE. 90% OF THE PIECES WE PICK UP HAVE SOME KIND OF WORK DONE TO THEM. I THINK THEY CHOSE THIS AREA BECAUSE OF THE ROCK AND NEARBY WATER. I DO BELEIVE ALOT OF THE ROCK IS COPROLITE. THE FORTH PICTURE, FIRST 3 STONES AT THE BOTTOM, I THINK ARE DINOSAUR BONES, MAYBE? THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

trizor999

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2021
Brush, Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably not possible to determine an age or who made them. You'd need to study the context of the site and associated findings. Even then it would probably be a guess over a few thousand years, with no way of determining a "who".

A few of these look like they may have been "cores". That being, the important part was what has been removed. The flakes taken off then used to make tools.

Most of these others might fit into one of three categories.

First, hand tools, not meant to be hafted. Generic butchering tools, used as hand scrapers / knives. Not overly important, and often made and used for a single project and then tossed.

Second, trimmed stones, meant to be saved for future needs. The bad parts of the stones are trimmed off, revealing good, usable rock to be saved, brought back to camp, and available when a specific tool might need to be made.

Third, because this is a variety of good looking stone ... they would trim the stones and save them to trade with other groups. "Trade blanks", might be a good term.

Most are trimmed down enough to take the shape of "bifaces", using the term very freely. Some shaped into a (possible) knife shape, but, without very close scrutiny, it would be hard to tell if they actually were used as a knife, or if they were simply shaped up as such to be made into finished tools, later.

Neanderthal and Colorado are worlds apart, and the terms don't belong together.

The one striking thing I gather from your pics are the variety of colors, and seemingly good quality of stone. Whoever these people were, they knew how to select their stone, and how to trim it down to the good stuff.

My guess is that there are some nice specific tools to be found on this ranch. Keep your eyes open for "quarry sites" where they were sourcing this rock. Cliff sides, pits dug in the ground, or maybe even a nearby waterway where they could have found an assortment of rocks.

Also, watch for "habitation sites". Where you'll find more succinct tools. Atlatl points and knives, possibly spear points.

What seems to be lacking here, is the refined tools. The ones meant to be saved and used and kept.

Nice looking stones. Possibly dating back to a time and people that were "nomadic" who knew how to gather good stone as they roamed, but never settled for long and then moved on.

I'VE THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE A QUARY BECAUSE THESE COLORFUL ROCKS COVER THE WHOLE 10,000 ACRES. EVERYWHERE WE LOOK WE FIND THESE TOOLS, BUT NEVER A SUPER NICE, FINISHED PRODUCT. WE HAVE NEVER FOUND AN ARROWHEAD OR POINT OF ANY KIND, SO I ASSUMED THESE WERE FINISHED PIECES. WE NEVER HAVE HAD TO DIG FOR ROCKS, ALL OF THE PIECES FOUND ARE ON THE SURFACE, MANY HAVE BEEN BLOWN OVER I'M SURE. 90% OF THE PIECES WE PICK UP HAVE SOME KIND OF WORK DONE TO THEM. I THINK THEY CHOSE THIS AREA BECAUSE OF THE ROCK AND NEARBY WATER. I DO BELEIVE ALOT OF THE ROCK IS COPROLITE. THE FORTH PICTURE, FIRST 3 STONES AT THE BOTTOM, I THINK ARE DINOSAUR BONES, MAYBE? THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY. SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS, I'M NOT HOLLERING, MY CAP LOCK STICKS ON.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

trizor999

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2021
Brush, Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'VE THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE A QUARY BECAUSE THESE COLORFUL ROCKS COVER THE WHOLE 10,000 ACRES. EVERYWHERE WE LOOK WE FIND THESE TOOLS, BUT NEVER A SUPER NICE, FINISHED PRODUCT. WE HAVE NEVER FOUND AN ARROWHEAD OR POINT OF ANY KIND, SO I ASSUMED THESE WERE FINISHED PIECES. WE NEVER HAVE HAD TO DIG FOR ROCKS, ALL OF THE PIECES FOUND ARE ON THE SURFACE, MANY HAVE BEEN BLOWN OVER I'M SURE. 90% OF THE PIECES WE PICK UP HAVE SOME KIND OF WORK DONE TO THEM. I THINK THEY CHOSE THIS AREA BECAUSE OF THE ROCK AND NEARBY WATER. I DO BELEIVE ALOT OF THE ROCK IS COPROLITE. THE FORTH PICTURE, FIRST 3 STONES AT THE BOTTOM, I THINK ARE DINOSAUR BONES, MAYBE? THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY. SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS, I'M NOT HOLLERING, MY CAP LOCK STICKS ON.

I've been hunting this ranch for over 10 years and have 1000's and 1000's of similar pieces. Wouldn't you think I would have found at least 1 arrowhead?

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I THINK THEY CHOSE THIS AREA BECAUSE OF THE ROCK AND NEARBY WATER. I DO BELEIVE ALOT OF THE ROCK IS COPROLITE.

Use your caps lock/shift on/off key, please. Coprolite is fossilized poo. Not something that fractures in nice linear spalls. I didnt spot anything in your images to indicate that.

Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, congrats on one of the first posts full of rocks that are not just natural.
If I found these, I personally wouldn't keep them, as they look like what I call wasters. Just bits left over from making tools.
Keep looking.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've been hunting this ranch for over 10 years and have 1000's and 1000's of similar pieces. Wouldn't you think I would have found at least 1 arrowhead?

...actually no, it sounds like you are hunting seasonally occupied camps. I have searched many such sites and it is usually with the same result as you... hundreds of flakes and cores, few if an artifacts. But what I have noticed and find fascinating is the dispersal and variety of flakes. One thing I have noticed again and again is that within a square yard I will find a half dozen flakes of the same exact stone...someone sat there and flaked out a point leaving the scraps behind. I see that over and over. Another thing I think I have discovered is that often these sites were located in areas that have seasonal "vegetable" food resources. I have found hand held digging tools among patches of wild onion etc. so look for larger flat stones with one poorly flaked edge that shows wear.

Upvote 0

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I noticed the one item in picture #4 lower left hand corner.
Whitish colour, with a notch.
Shaft straighteners look similar-then again I could be in the parking lot (not even in the left field)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread