Pressure flaking

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Wasnā€™t sure if any forum applied to recently made flint tools. Hereā€™s a pic of my attempts this week. Iā€™ve got a lot to learn and am fortunate to have a mentor.
I actually posted this out of humor.
I showed the bottom left piece to my wife. It is an early attempt at a spoke shaver. The little guardian is 3ā€ tall for size comparison.
Pareidolia is rampant at our house.šŸ˜
She said, ā€œoh neat, you found one that looks like an eagle head profile.ā€
Maybe I should concentrate on effigies instead!

Attachments

• IMG_2337.jpeg
    IMG_2337.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 22

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Be interesting to compare that pic with another one a couple years (and a lot of practice) down the road.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The flintknapping forum is at the top when you go to the Native American forum. Most of those you show look like good quality Burlington. If you can find flakes that have been cooked that will help you learn pressure flaking. Learning to knap on raw Burlington is not the easiest way to go. On the other hand, if you learn on raw Burlington like I did you can knap about anything.

Last edited:

vonfatman

Jul 21, 2023
KCMO Area
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, a man of many talents!

If you ever want some local chocolate brown flint from the KC area, I am your man. Just let me know and I will ship you some to whack at.

vfm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread