Pretty excited about the start of season 5!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And those characters in the Monster logo are three of the Hebrew character Vav, which is the way they wrote "666". ;-)

hebrewy.gif

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Yea I don't know anything about Dating Rose Heads, But my guess 19th Century
being that's the Obvious period diggers would have started there. unless of course they purchased or borrowed it
for the show.

I'm more curious on the coin/button dig

I did do some looking on line and apparently there is a date range for when they were square versus round or rectangular.

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
This is in regards to rose head nails, but I would assume that the same would go for spikes:

The first step in making a hand forged nail was to form the shank. Next, the head was formed with a heading tool (Figs. 5-B & C). Early nails have two types of heads: a round head whose head is above the surface of the wood and used for general purpose fastening and a T-head whose head is driven below the surface and used for finish work. The forged round head nail is also called a rose head because the hammered head often resembles the petals on a rose. A variation of the T-head, the L-head, is the same as a T-head but with half the head cut off. Cross sections of pre-1800 nails are generally square; shanks from 1800-1890 are rectangular; modern shanks are round.

Source: https://www.realorrepro.com/article/Nails-as-clues-to-age

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread