Pricing is so hard!!!!

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I think the hardest part about being in the ebay and flea market business is pricing items.

Years ago, we started flea marketing and ebaying to accelerate our debt snowball while we worked the Dave Ramsey plan. I'm not sure that I've ever worked so hard in my life, but overall, we had a fun.

Back in those days, if I could make a buck on something at the flea market, I would sell it, generally speaking. My whole mentality was 'turn and burn', for every dollar that I made was one dollar that could pay off debt. The economy was booming back then, so buying and selling was easy.

Now that I'm full time in the business, and the economy is much, much slower, the game has changed. I find that it is harder now to understand pricing and pricing power than it has ever been.

Complicating this issue is that many items I have are desirable in the market, but there is no selling history on ebay.

For instance, I found some super tools at an estate sale. They are desirable, and very collectible, but even after months of research, I've only found one other like it, and it isn't for sale. Where do you put a price on that?

I also have a very, very rare dealer sign for a piece of antique equipment. Two of us have been searching the net for anything similar, with absolutely no luck. Is it a $300 sign? $750? $1,500? $3,000? I really, really hate to list it at $1500 and see it listed later on another site for $5,000.

I also have a Schwinn wheel hub in pristine condition. The selling prices are absolutely all over the board. Mine might be NOS, and one like it brought $250, but another in a little less condition sold for $55.

In addition, I picked up some very early auto and motorcycle magazines from the 1920's in superb condition. There have been a few single copies sell between $5 and $45, but I have a full year's collection. How on earth do you price those as a Buy It Now?

I typically sell items on ebay as a BIN, and rarely an auction. With rare items, you are taking a chance that the well heeled buyers are not looking during your 10 day auction.

The items that have a history, like a Lionel 2055 steam engine, are fairly easy to price for me. I know that market, and I know post-war Lionel, and there is a full history of what other 2055's sold for.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? Advice? This is maddening!!!!

leadnbrass

Apr 2, 2005
Shenandoah Valley VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I usually do:

If the item is easy to search and find I undercut what most buy it nows are. ex: Most BIN are around $1000 I'll do $900...$100 I'll do $80 depending on what I spent for it.

All other items I'll just try and get at the minimum 100% back plus shipping.

Most things I get under $1.00 I'll start at $9.99 plus shipping on a seven day auction and do pretty well.

Another tactic is just run it high one week and tweek it lower on the relist.

I like to have 2-3 nice $75-$100 profit items a week with another 10-30 fluffer $5-$25 profit ones...it adds up and sometimes I get a huge surprise...happened twice last week $200 on two fluffer items that I spent .50 each on.

It all adds up.

ETA: this is strictly for fun and not making a killing though I do seem like it's a second job sometimes.

One more ETA: I try and focus on easy (cheap) to ship items...those across the coast bidders sometimes kill me.

Last edited:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice topic and I completely understand what you are saying.

However, I feel like lumping this into 1 thread is tough because everything you mentioned has been touched upon and addressed in dozens of previous threads. Every thread has a life of its own and the answers you seek are buried in those individual threads.

I'm sure many people will chime in with their opinions but I just don't think your questions can be addressed in a 1 thread summary. Good luck.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Like everyone else I want to get the most I possibly can for anything I sell. The reality is I don't know enough about everything to get the best sale price. Neither does anyone else. If you buy & sell on a regular basis you are going to underprice some items. That's the nature of the beast.

There is another area of pricing that is related. I call it the fast nickel, slow dime theory. Is it better to make a smaller, but faster profit(fast nickel), or should you hold out for full retail no matter how long it takes(slow dime)?

frankendime

Mar 8, 2012
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
Other
Buyers remorse and sellers remorse go hand in hand in this business. Do your best and keep grinding away.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something is only worth what a person is willing to pay. That's what Ebay is for; let the customer decide how much he is willing to spend.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Ebay is best for 99% of the stuff. Unique stuff should be put in an inventory specific Auction. (all farming collectables, all advertizing, all whatever). Find the best dealer in the field, and consign to them.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you're not in a hurry to sell so you can test the waters.

Example...

Is it a $300 sign? $750? $1,500? $3,000?

Week or month 1 depending on how fast you want to move it. $3,000 or best offer.

Week (or month) 2 $2,500 or best offer

3 $2,000 OBO

4 $1,500 OBO

5 $1,000.

And so on.

If $300 is your bottom line leave it there, but if you still aren't getting any offers then you're most likely still too high. Just make sure you're double listed, and in the best possible categories.

Of course the tough part is if you start at 3k and get offered $1,500! You can do the same thing with starting price, but is more costly doing it week after week, but does depend on how much the item is. If you do think it could be a few grand than worth $20 or so in listing fees to have that safety net.

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is another area of pricing that is related. I call it the fast nickel, slow dime theory. Is it better to make a smaller, but faster profit(fast nickel), or should you hold out for full retail no matter how long it takes(slow dime)?

I think you really have to do both because if you fast nickel everything you are cutting the profit potential short, but if you slow dime it, you'll end up stuff rich and cash poor, and either you'll run out of money or eventually reach a point where you don't want to tie anymore into it. A balance is definitely the best approach if you're doing it on any kind of serious level.

TreasureHunters

Sep 21, 2009
Salem Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been having luck starting at .97$ plus shipping... 7 day auctions, seems to get the price the completed goes for.. but its of course risky.

baylorhall

Nov 17, 2008
North Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My biggest struggle is figuring out the shipping correctly! Any suggestions?

TreasureHunters

Sep 21, 2009
Salem Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GO to a item you already sold, click PRINT ANOTHER SHIPPING LABEL and change the weight then see the comparison on the price for a close enough number. Of course dont print the label but it will give you a good idea of what it will cost. Another way is put buyer pays exact shipping and then you input your zip code when listing and it will calculate for each potential bidder the exact shipping cost.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Thank you for the advice!!!!!

Ya'll might think I'm a little dumb for asking about difficult pricing points...and maybe I am a little dumb, but I have so many items that it is truly difficult to figure out how to price it, and where to sell it.

Nonetheless, your advice and this thread is helping me think through each item differently.

Keep the thoughts and ideas coming!!!

Thank you so much!!!!

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other

I have a deal with a local Mailbox Shop. On Saturday afternoon, I bring in all of my finds and he gives me a price for shipping. I list everything on Sunday night (I use auctiva to time the listings), and then bring everything to his shop. The following week, he watches my paypal account (I give him access, I trust him), and he ships and records everything. He pays himself out of Paypal. He charges me actual postage, Posted prices on Boxes, Plus $1 per item. I just pass along the entire price in my shipping fee. It is as easy as can be, I don't have to do anything, and the cost to me is minimal (I may get a bit less than other sellers because I pass along these costs, but everyone has these costs... You just pay for your own boxes, and so on). Paypal records show everything I pay in shipping, and everything I receive, it makes taxes really easy.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I don't know why folks have trouble figuring shipping. I take my pics, make the description, find the appropriate box, pack it, measure it, weigh it, enter the dimensions and weight, and let ebays shipping calculator show everyone what it will cost to ship it to their address. Sometimes I use flat rate boxes when I can and the costs work out better that way.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a deal with a local Mailbox Shop. On Saturday afternoon, I bring in all of my finds and he gives me a price for shipping. I list everything on Sunday night (I use auctiva to time the listings), and then bring everything to his shop. The following week, he watches my paypal account (I give him access, I trust him), and he ships and records everything. He pays himself out of Paypal. He charges me actual postage, Posted prices on Boxes, Plus $1 per item. I just pass along the entire price in my shipping fee. It is as easy as can be, I don't have to do anything, and the cost to me is minimal (I may get a bit less than other sellers because I pass along these costs, but everyone has these costs... You just pay for your own boxes, and so on). Paypal records show everything I pay in shipping, and everything I receive, it makes taxes really easy.

I wasn't familiar with those places until last night watching undercover boss. :) To me it sounds like he's doing a heck of a lot for not much money. I really can't imagine doing a job like that because it's bad enough packing my own stuff never mind others. I gather this person is just an employee for the business?

Sounds like it works well for you, and I bet when you need supplies that's where you go, and I guess that's what these places count on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread