What's new

Pro Pointer Problems.

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 9, 2011
Messages
1,354
Reaction score
226
Golden Thread
0
Location
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Out of the blue my ProPointer has begun acting up. It works fine if I hold a coin up to it but when I'm out detecting it sounds off on normal sand in every hole making it totally useless. This isn't a new area either, I've done it a thousand times so I know it's not something in the soil. Any ideas?
 
Try to put the tip of the pointer on the dirt and then turn it on. This will detune it to the dirt so it won't go off on it. Mine will do that sometimes. It will chirp and chatter just by putting it in the hole. Don't know if it's minerals in the soil or what. If your's is sounding off like there is a full blown target nearby then I don't know what is causing that.

Swartzie
 
Probably needs a new battery. :wink:
 
Dano Sverige said:
Probably needs a new battery. :wink:

I agree. The ProPointer doesn't like a weak battery.
Also, don't buy the dollar store special, spend the extra and get a Energizer or Duracell. (Speaking from first hand knowledge.)
 
Dwight S said:
Dano Sverige said:
Probably needs a new battery. :wink:

I agree. The ProPointer doesn't like a weak battery.
Also, don't buy the dollar store special, spend the extra and get a Energizer or Duracell. (Speaking from first hand knowledge.)

Mine started doing that last week. . . I replaced the battery and then it worked fine.
 
My Garrett PP is doing the same thing even with a new battery. When I put it in the hole it chirps everywhere. It chirps anywhere on the ground and sometimes holding in the air it will chirp. Its going back to Garrett on Monday.
 
Georges Minelab Safari said:
My Garrett PP is doing the same thing even with a new battery. When I put it in the hole it chirps everywhere. It chirps anywhere on the ground and sometimes holding in the air it will chirp. Its going back to Garrett on Monday.

Exactly the same thing mine is doing.
 
There are two possibilities.
- moisture has gotten inside thru the speaker hole
-The sensitivy adj. pot inside it has aged or corroded.
This pointer is extremely hard to disassemble without breaking the switch so send it back to Garrett for repairs.
Go to Harbor Freight and get one of there $16 pinpointers for backup.
Frank
 
If it's not the battery then it's a "back to Garrett" job. I've suffered both. A low battery will give chirping and will decline into a two tone constant sound like a reversing truck or gantry crane.
They just sent me a brand new one.
 
Frankn said:
There are two possibilities.
- moisture has gotten inside thru the speaker hole
-The sensitivy adj. pot inside it has aged or corroded.
This pointer is extremely hard to disassemble without breaking the switch so send it back to Garrett for repairs.
Go to Harbor Freight and get one of there $16 pinpointers for backup.
Frank

Sorry but that Harbor Freight pinpointer is garbage. I've used 3-4 different cheapies and they're all frustrating. The only one that ever worked for me was the Little Wizard II. Look it up, you'll probably wonder how the heck I used it but I did :icon_pirat:
 
My Pro pointer and got worse and wore till it was useless.
In was out of warranty , one of the first ones out.
Garrett said it was a bad circuit board.
No charge for part just labor and shipping ,around 21.00
 
Wit, been using the Harbor Freight pinpointer for over a year with no problems. I paid $16 for it.
It has the same pickup power as the Pro pointer and you can mod it yourself. I installed a bright blue LED that lights when it finds the target. My XLT pinpoints to within app. 1 " and the HF picks up the slack. If I wanted to pay big bucks, I would get the Vibra Probe which is 100 Times better. It even turns itself on and off automaticly. Frank
 
I just had the same problem, after months of flawless use. I sent it back to Garrett yesterday, under warranty.

Now, let me tell you how good the Pro-Pointer is when it's working right. I've got a Harbor Freight pinpointer, a White's Bullseye, and a White's Bullseye II - none of them compares to the Garrett! Since my Pro-Pointer went on the blink, I've spent more time poking around in a hole trying to find the target. The Pro-Pointer cuts recovery time in half.

P.S. out of the three other pinpointers, I like the Harbor Freight one best.
 
I would take the Garrett over the Vibra probe unless i was diving.
Had both
 
ScrugneysGunDogs said:
I just had the same problem, after months of flawless use. I sent it back to Garrett yesterday, under warranty.

Just to follow up, I got my pin pointer back from Garrett yesterday. They sent me a brand new one! :)
 
I have the Harbor Freight one. It is fabulous. The one thing about it is that it will overheat. After about an hour or use it will just beep. I have to cool it down and then it will work again.
 
Does any one notice a difference with rechargeable to alkaline?
 
Out of the blue my ProPointer has begun acting up. It works fine if I hold a coin up to it but when I'm out detecting it sounds off on normal sand in every hole making it totally useless. This isn't a new area either, I've done it a thousand times so I know it's not something in the soil. Any ideas?

Send it back to Garrett and they will through it in the dumpster with the rest and give you a new one. It probably only cost them about $10 bucks at most to make them. They are probably as cheaply made as the HF, but you got the big "G" on it and a case with a neat shape. Frank...

111-2 700.webp
 
I just had the same problem, after months of flawless use. I sent it back to Garrett yesterday, under warranty.

Now, let me tell you how good the Pro-Pointer is when it's working right. I've got a Harbor Freight pinpointer, a White's Bullseye, and a White's Bullseye II - none of them compares to the Garrett! Since my Pro-Pointer went on the blink, I've spent more time poking around in a hole trying to find the target. The Pro-Pointer cuts recovery time in half.

P.S. out of the three other pinpointers, I like the Harbor Freight one best.[/QUOT]

Excuse me, but which one broke? lol Frank...111-2 700.webp
 
I have the Harbor Freight one. It is fabulous. The one thing about it is that it will overheat. After about an hour or use it will just beep. I have to cool it down and then it will work again.
The HF has a momentary switch. It doesn't stay on. How can it overheat? Frank...111-1 profilecracked.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom