Probably a dumb question!!

sasnz

Aug 15, 2006
Auckland
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI
I have just purchased a garrett gti2500 and am wanting to know if I can use it in water up to 2 feet or so. Not up to the box just the coil and somewhat of the stick. The coil and lead looks watertight but wanna ask someone first before finding out that its not waterproof. I am thinking more fresh water than saltwater! Probably an easy one for most of you. ;D

Cheers

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
if the coil is submersible... (Not water proof).my musketeer says waterproof but it dose just fine in creeks up to four feet in the water.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This can make a good detector into a door stop. Normally the coil is waterproof on land detectors, but they are not tested at the factory for the water. Using it in water will let water in the shaft and any tilting with the coil above the controls will set water into the controls and fry the sucker.

This isn't counting you dropping it. It's better to get a full water detector for this wading thing.

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Pretty much every coil is waterproof so that is not a problem, BUT
when you goto dig your find, you are bending over? how close to the water is your detector getting. What about wave action possibly swamping it / you. People dry off, perhaps slightly pissed for the incident, ... electronics tend to let that magic smoke out of the wires, leaving the before mentioned wet people, majorly pissed for the incident. theres spray from the waves, and the general salt mist. Overall getting into the water is not really a good idea, sooner or later water will get where you didn't want it to and it will cause problems. As already mentioned, the water in the tube can cause a huge problem if it rolls into the machine.

They are costly and many don't have all the nice whistles and bells that land detectors do, but a waterproof detector is the best way to be safe. Also may I add to this, that water, especially salt water, when your coil is submerged in it, can cause major problems with the workings of your non water...detector, tracking problems, balancing problems, overload problems... ie it just may plain ole not work worth a darned for you. Some of the better detectors have settings that you can compensate for this somewhat, but it does take a major hit to the overall performance.

Aaron

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
My machine is placed in a small back pack I use with an extened cable to the shaft and coil. As Long a I don't fall in the water I'm fine.

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab GO-FIND 60 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I would call garrett tech support and hear what the have to say.

I used my white's classic ID on the beach. Thought I had the box well protected in plastic but a couple of drops of saltwater happen to get in it and the short of it, I had to send it in for cleaning and with all said and done it cost close to a 100 bucks to get back in service :-\

be protective if you go for it! ;)

OP
OP
sasnz

sasnz

Aug 15, 2006
Auckland
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI
Thanks for all the advice people, I think that i may just err on the side of caution and stick to the dry land, Thanks for all the responses tho and wish everybody happy huntin.

Cheers

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Listen to the sandman.