Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got my new 9"x5.5" coil in today and I'm getting frustrated trying to get it to pair up. I have verified several times that I have the serial number entered correctly. I even have deleted it and re-entered it. But when I select it, I get no signal, and the frequency options in the program menu are blank (although if I hit "Expert", the options there are for 30K). I want to get out and try this thing!

I did only charge it for about an hour before trying... could that be the problem?

I guess that I would fully charge it and try it again. when you put the serial number in did you validate it? when you do do you see the light on the coil start blinking? sometimes I see on the controller that it is seeing a target but I am not hearing it in the headphones. just use menu on the headphones and scroll to coils and be sure you are on the correct coil. likely coil 2 if this is your second coil. did you but it from andy? or whoever you got it from try to give them a call to see if they can help. let us know how it goes. good luck.

I guess that I would fully charge it and try it again. when you put the serial number in did you validate it? when you do do you see the light on the coil start blinking? sometimes I see on the controller that it is seeing a target but I am not hearing it in the headphones. just use menu on the headphones and scroll to coils and be sure you are on the correct coil. likely coil 2 if this is your second coil. did you but it from andy? or whoever you got it from try to give them a call to see if they can help. let us know how it goes. good luck.
Bought it from BigBoysHobbies. Didn't know to watch for the light to blink... I will check next time I try it.

What strikes me as odd is that it does show the 30K options when I hit the Expert menu for Frequencies. That, and it has the multiple frequency shifts. So... the remote does realize that it is a HF coil.

I have manually switched the headphones to coil #2, to no avail, but I have also tried without headphones. Even the remote is not picking it up fully.

Oh... yes, I did validate the serial number, and it is still in the list after powering down and back up again.

Same exact problem I had send it back , I sent the one back that was doing that got another and it paired right up.

Same exact problem I had send it back , I sent the one back that was doing that got another and it paired right up.
Ugh!!! That is terrible news! How can they let them out the door like that?!?

dont know but thats the same thing that happened to me. I reinstalled ver 4 and serial nunber and all that stuff numerous times. Got the new in and it fired right up

Mine will be here tomorrow, fingers crossed I don't get the same gift you 2 got.

dont know but thats the same thing that happened to me. I reinstalled ver 4 and serial nunber and all that stuff numerous times. Got the new in and it fired right up
Where did you get yours? Will I have to return this to XP, or to BigBoyHobbies? In other words, how do I have to go about returning it?

call bart and he will help you to figure out how to send it back. I would think send it to him for a replacement and let him deal with XP about it.

Where did you get yours? Will I have to return this to XP, or to BigBoyHobbies? In other words, how do I have to go about returning it?

call bart and he will help you to figure out how to send it back. I would think send it to him for a replacement and let him deal with XP about it.

Thanks for the advice. I just sent him an email (too late to call tonight), and included a link to this thread. Hopefully I'll hear from him in the morning.

I just bought one, will be here Wednesday. Might be fun.

Side note, I had to put some cooking oil on the washers to get the lower rod to slide into the coil ears....the washers kept bunching up and wouldn't line up with the mounting holes...not sure if anyone else had this issue.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Side note, I had to put some cooking oil on the washers to get the lower rod to slide into the coil ears....the washers kept bunching up and wouldn't line up with the mounting holes...not sure if anyone else had this issue.

I think you should only be using one washer according to the installation diagram included with my coil. I believe they give you two complete sets of hardware (washer, spacer, nut, and bolt) so you can have a spare set. I could be wrong though because I am talking about the the 9" hf coil (which uses the same hardware stackup as the 9" and 11" legacy coils) but couldn't imagine you would need two washers for the elliptical. Not knowing the material used for the washer, couldn't say whether vegatable oil would be a good thing to use on them without degrading their integrity, that would not have been my first choice as a lubricant, but that's just me. Sometimes you just have to improvise and if it works out, great. Would be good to know if others are having the same issue.

Last edited:
I bought mine from Craig at show me treasure, I just dealt with Moe directly at the service center because all he was gonna do is go to them too if I had sent it back to him.

I think you should only be using one washer according to the installation diagram included with my coil. I believe they give you two complete sets of hardware (washer, spacer, nut, and bolt) so you can have a spare set. I could be wrong though because I am talking about the the 9" hf coil (which uses the same hardware stackup as the 9" and 11" legacy coils) but couldn't imagine you would need two washers for the elliptical. Not knowing the material used for the washer, couldn't say whether vegatable oil would be a good thing to use on them without degrading their integrity, that would not have been my first choice as a lubricant, but that's just me. Sometimes you just have to improvise and if it works out, great. Would be good to know if others are having the same issue.

Yup. After struggling for a while to get the pole into the fork, I then found that I was unable to insert that little sleeve into it all the way. That's when I took my old coil apart and saw that it only used one rubber washer.

I bought mine from Craig at show me treasure, I just dealt with Moe directly at the service center because all he was gonna do is go to them too if I had sent it back to him.

I got this from Bart last night:

Very sorry if that's happening to you.

What we need to do is call metaldetector.com in the morning at 1-800-446-0244. They are the authorized repair station they will be able to troubleshoot it with you if not replace it. Hopefully they can get you fixed up over the phone they don't have to replace it for you. As they are they authorized repair station.

They will get you fixed up as they have to handle all these types of situations.

Thanks.

Bart

Yup. After struggling for a while to get the pole into the fork, I then found that I was unable to insert that little sleeve into it all the way. That's when I took my old coil apart and saw that it only used one rubber washer.
Silly me for assuming the two slots for the washers in the lower arm would require 1 washer for each slot....oh well....its put together anyways, I figured a lubricant with no petroleum would be safe for the washers.

I must admit that I'm kind of wondering why Bart would have me call metaldetecting.com. Maybe I should have bought my coil directly from them?

Silly me for assuming the two slots for the washers in the lower arm would require 1 washer for each slot....oh well....its put together anyways, I figured a lubricant with no petroleum would be safe for the washers.

Yes, but that odd little sleeve that goes on on the righthand side won't be fully seated if you still have both washers in there. Pretty sure you want that to be seated correctly.

Called metaldetectors.com, they put me in touch with "their" XP Tech, who turned out to be none less than Moe himself. He wanted me to try reinstalling 4.0, but I resisted, then dropped your name, and he remembered your experience. He immediately changed his mind about reinstalling 4.0 and instead is shipping me a new coil with a RMA and UPS shipping label for the return. That is the way support SHOULD be done. I now see why everyone says "Moe" with reverence.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back