Problems with Ace 250 on wet ground (not beach)

je177

Dec 27, 2006
Southeastern MA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300. Ace250
My girlfriends ace 250 started going crazy in the back yard today. It has been raining and the ground is wet. She has detected there before with no problems. Today, it was like it was surrounded by metal, even way off the ground. The batteries are still reading full. It seemed like it happened more in the area with more grass (some of the yard is dirt). Has anyone had this problem? Thanks in advance.

J

ModernDayWarrior

Nov 29, 2005
Palestine Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try holding the power button for a few seconds. It resets the detector to factory settings. I hope the detector didn't get wet inside.

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
reduce the sens.

make sure the coil wire runs strait up the shaft the first foot or so secured where it won't move.

post back

OP
OP
je177

je177

Dec 27, 2006
Southeastern MA
Detector(s) used
DFX 300. Ace250
The control box didn't get wet inside. When the unit is on, I hold the power button for a few seconds? How will I know if it has reset?

I lowered the sensitivity while I was out there, didn't seem to help. Thanks for the info.

J

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
Did you lower the sens all the way?

To reset - detector off - push and hold the power button you will here one beep then after 5 seconds you will here 2 beeps. That's it.

What about the coil wire?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes this happens to all detectors. I am not sure if this is because of a new electrical interference or moisture getting into the coil via the wire. I just sent off my GTI 1500 because of this and it wasn't just happening at one location or time of day.

One thing to check is the batteries. Make sure one is not installed wrong and they all test OK. One bad battery will do this.

Good Luck,
Sandman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update on GTI 1500 repair from Garrett. Unstable because it needed a new coil and touch pad & battery holders. They didn't say if the wire was bad or the whole coil. Cost only $78.00 an out of warranty.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread