Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am repeating a post I made in another forum.

Video lighting is poor but for instructional purposes and I didn't want to keep tearing off skins and re-applying them.
You need a heat gun. If you don't have one available, Harbor Freight has them for $8 plus tax. It is a very handy tool to have around the house.
The shrink film works great for the Sidekick also. As for how durable, I cannot say, but I think it should last as long as a battery.
Unless you use the scraper, the weak point will be at the on-off button (if you operate it at every target like I do).
200 gauge film thickens to 300 gauge after applied to the Propointer.
Interested? If you can't find it in small quantities, PM me for a kit with tip cover.

Attachments

• IMG_0571 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0571 (Medium).JPG
    99 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_0572 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0572 (Medium).JPG
    104 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_0574 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0574 (Medium).JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_0575 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0575 (Medium).JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 347

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! I had thought of this the other day and posted that someone should try it. I guess someone already had. What about putting a band of heat-shrink tubing over the switch? Maybe that's overkill but it seems it would add some protection to the switch as well. Might try this on my new Profind.

OP
OP
I

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! I had thought of this the other day and posted that someone should try it. I guess someone already had. What about putting a band of heat-shrink tubing over the switch? Maybe that's overkill but it seems it would add some protection to the switch as well. Might try this on my new Profind.

Actually I have been sitting on this for months. The only source I could find sold entire rolls only. The skin supports the Sidekick very nicely without the heatshrink band, nor does it place too much pressure on it. It also prevents dirt from building up around it and eventually damaging the adhesive bond. Its a win win.

It should work on the Pro Find just as nicely. Doesn't interfere with the light either.

OP
OP
I

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$5.50 for 15 skins and a tip protector shipped $9.00 for a double order in the same shipment. PM me for info

Its recommended to use a heat gun and not a hair dryer for best results. Hair dryer takes too long and transfers heat to the propointer body and also to the Sidekick if you have one.
Using a hair dryer also creates wrinkles in the skin.
If you have a Sidekick (range boost module), you MUST use a heat gun or the transferred heat will warm and compress the Sidekick adhesive and make it ineffective.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pointer skins

awesome idea are there other advantages to the skin other then keeping it looking new im always looking for new ways to keep all my detectors and equipment looking like the day i got them i mean lets all be real now our detectors arent $20 anymore :thumbsup:

Sovereignelite

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Bloomington Indiana
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC & TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II---ETRAC COILS :SEF 10x12, SEF 6x8, X-5, Detech 8" concentric, ,--- TESORO COILS- 12x10 TOOLS: Lesche, Profind 25, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After using the PVC on my housing on my Etrac I wonder how well it will hold up to the abuse I put on my Profind. I just got a new replacement from Minelab for a malfunctioning one I sent in. Anyway I find the PVC tears fairly easily and I'm not sticking the Etrac in ground. To remedy the wear issue I have wrapped some Gorilla tape over the PVC. My backup Profind I purchased used when the other was at Minelab, I applied a piece over the buttons then wrapped a piece over and around that. It's held up for weeks and I don't worry about moisture or dirt getting in the speaker hole or buttons: great for cleaning under running water. I think the tip protector looks great for protecting the tip from wear. I'm trying to come up with a combination of techniques that will wear well...so far the Gorilla tape and tip protector seem the best.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread