Prospector Detectors (49.99 Aldi special)..Anyone tried it?

Mr_Mojo_Risin

Apr 29, 2008
Eau Claire, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Hi. We have an Aldi discount foods store in my town, and I bought a "special buy" item in their flyer from last Sunday. Apparentlly the "Prospector" detector is made by a company called .."Orbitor"..? I really couldn't find alot of info on the web. I've been out 4 times with it. The first day, 2nd and 3rd I sort of learned to tell the difference between aluminum cans, chains, etc. No coins (an old park, a wooded area, an old parking lot, etc.) Not too exciting. Today I decided to search by some old train tracks. I got really excited as it started to beep in nonferrous category and I thought at least I'd found a penny some kid dropped. I wasn't looking for anything rare, just trying to get a feel for it. I dug and dug...nothing. Then I'd go back to the same spot with the MD, and nothing. I tried testing a few times by tossing some quarters (clad state quarters) ahead of me. Some shoed as nonferrous, some hits were ferrous, some nothing. Now I realize for the $49.99 it wasn't going to be much, but as someone said "a cheap detector is better than Non detector"..I think I m,ay take it back. I've read alot of good things about the Garrett Ace 250, and on eBay are affordable. I was just looking for anyone else who'd sample the Prospector. Thanks ??? ???

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
Never used one, but I think you'd be happier with the "Explorer Metal Detector" on Amazon.com for $59.95. It's works quite well for a cheapie. I bought one for my daughter and her two little ones and I'll get two more, one for my other daughter and one for me. It really likes coins and very tiny jewelry. The first time out I found a silver pendant and a 1944 penny plus other coins and other small items including most of a silver earring in a sawdust filled playground that I've been over with detectors costing from $25 used, to $1000 new. It has nearly the same guts as a Tesoro Compadre but goes about 1/2 to 1" less in deep. Only weighs 1 1/2 pound.

In fact, I like them so much that I would prefer using one of them about 50% of the time, or even more. Figure 7" air for a nickel and 8" in air for a US quarter. And as with most metal detectors regardless of price, count on roughly half the air test depth in average soil, about one inch +/-.

Read the reviews, there are three of them now. I wrote one of them. Good luck.

EasyMoney

OP
OP
Mr_Mojo_Risin

Mr_Mojo_Risin

Apr 29, 2008
Eau Claire, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Thanks for the reply, EasyMoney. I've gotten over my discouragement and have my sights set on a
Garrett Ace 250. I've done alot of research and that seems affordable and logical. Hoping someday
to post some great finds! Thanks and take care...

rayredditch

May 27, 2006
Europe
Detector(s) used
Adventis II, GoldMaxx Power, Whites Surf Master PI Pro DD, Fisher 1280X Aquanaut, Fisher 1265X, Minelab Advantage, Hartmann 1023, Viking 6DX2
ACE 150 is just as deep, and you don´t really need all the extra options of the 250 (Such as pinpointing, just X the target).
Save you some bucks, and you´ll be just as happy.

Shenandoah Digger

Nov 22, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tried almost everything made since the late 60's
I took EasyMoney's advise and bought one of the Explorer Metal Detectors off Ubid for $51 shipped. Works surprisingly well. Like he said, air tests a quarter (and a dime) at 8". Can't beat that. Disc. seems to work fairly well. Heck, it comes with a nice bag and cheap headphones. The bag would cost you $25. Look forward to playing with it. Would love to find something nice with it, but that would make all the other thousands I've spent on detectors seem like a waste of money. Thanks for the tip Larry.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
CATFISHJK1 said:
Mr_Mojo_Risin said:
Now I realize for the $49.99 it wasn't going to be much, but as someone said "a cheap detector is better than Non detector"..

Whoever said that probably owns a cheap detector.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:Right on there Catfish.... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :coffee2:

EasyMoney

Sep 15, 2007
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primarily my Fisher cz-70 and Compass Relic & Coin, plus many others
Hey Shenendoah, glad you liked it too.

The thing that really surprized me though, is that it finds stuff worth digging that most of my other detectors pass up, except for the two older Tesoros and Compasses, and one Fisher I use. In fact, top of the line Minelabs wouldn't even make a peep in one particular area and neither would an Ace 250. It's an EXTREMELY iron-mineralized spot. It gets the same air depth as the Ace but goes as deep or deeper, especially in high iron soil or soil with a lot of hot rocks. The same can be said for the Tesoro Compadre and Silver uMax, and they get another inch or so depth.

EasyMoney

Shenandoah Digger

Nov 22, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tried almost everything made since the late 60's
Yeah I was in my backyard the other day and found a small buckle about 5 inches deep that I missed with some other great detectors. A few coins too. It's hard to believe you can buy such a good machine for next to nothing. A lot of fun to use. Thanks for the tip.

jb58

May 22, 2009
missouri
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i just purchased the explorer metal detector also-it doesnt look like much but it does find the coins and goes deeper than i expected.
for 58 and some change you cant beat it. my only wish is that i could find a larger coil. anybody know?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread