Famous Trails anyone ever used these detectors?

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think you would do better with your Yorkie..lol

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Ya i have to go along with the rest of them stay away from it an use your.."Yorkie"..

OP
OP
Larsmed

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey i will have you know that my yorkie has actually helped me dig up a canadian cent in my backyard..lol!!
She has a nose for treasure !

Larry

oh yeah she is my wife's dog too :P

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Larsmed said:
Hey i will have you know that my yorkie has actually helped me dig up a canadian cent in my backyard..lol!!
She has a nose for treasure !

Larry

oh yeah she is my wife's dog too :P
I had a dog many years ago that when i got a target and started to dig he would jump in and i would let him go and dig.And he would dig the target out i would check the pile of dirt when he got done and the target would be in it...One thing i could not do was take him to parks............................

OP
OP
Larsmed

Larsmed

Jan 10, 2007
Greencovesprings, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sandshark, bh jr.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
TreasureTales

hey thanks for the advice. I hear the silverUmax is good!

Larry

BestAntiquities

Jul 29, 2008
Larsmed said:

I don't know anything about that particular detector but I have some close friends who use those low cost imported detectors and some really do well with them. In fact they find the same or better stuff than I do with my $1000 machines. One guy was using one that looked like the one in your picture but I don't know if it was the exact same or not. The word I've gotten on these is they range in depth from 5-7 inches on coins which is what I'm averaging with my expensive units. I guess you'd just have to try it for yourself. They cost about what a hand held coin probe costs so you won't be out that much. I think one friend said he paid like $39 for his new off ebay ;D I burn up more in batteries. Let us know how it works for you if you get one of these. I'll admit I'm kind of prejudiced for expensive units myself but always ready to learn.
PM

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
as an entry level aggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
when your done with it
it makes a good tomato stake

BestAntiquities

Jul 29, 2008
I should also add this comment, don't pay too much for these. I'd say not over $80. They're cheap imports and I think these people get them very cheap in the first place. ??? So for fun maybe try but if you're talking $150+ you're better gambling with the major brands in my opinion. Tesoro and Garrett sell nice detectors in the $150-$200 range. Better go with them is my advice. :thumbsup:

Suninyourhand

Aug 16, 2009
If you were to try a unit from this manufacture I would look at the MD9300. There are two MD9300 units from Famous Trails, one is the " Professional " and the other is the " Advanced. " The Advanced type is much more sophisticated and I was told by the head designer of a major manufacture that it has electronics that are a direct copy of a Whites unit, such as a 5900 series. This unit has the standard discrimination mode and also an all metal no motion mode with manual ground balance. I have found 2inch by 2inch objects in the ground in all metal mode at 13 inches. Its a little hard to ground balance it but when you get it just right it will find things very deep. It does not go as deep in the other mode...about 7 or 8 inches. It has a retail of $380 but I got mine for $97 delivered. If you minus the $17 shipping thats $80 slick. This thing kicks several zip codes of rump for the money. They cost a little more now but are still a good deal at Amazon for $166 delivered. If you click on the link http://www.amazon.com/Famous-Trails...1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1252050033&sr=8-1 for this unit you will find the page shows a picture of the " Professional " version of the MD9300. Looks like it fell off a John Deer. Just ignore this webmaster screwup of the photo. If you order from that page you will get the " Advanced " version of the 9300 as shown here. This unit will shear-the-sheep with a grin and absolutely eat alive bottom-rung units from major manufactures. Yea, its Chinese, but so are BMW's. Besides, some poor guy built these all year so he could get enough yen to buy some fuel for his yak, or whatever they do over there. Poor yak. I kinda feel sorry for those yaks, always having to pull stuff. But anyways...as always, can't be sure, don't know, but the unit might even out-do your wifes little dog. There you go.....

Attachments

• Hpim2555 edit.jpg
    Hpim2555 edit.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 853
  • Hpim2556 edit.jpg
    Hpim2556 edit.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 924
  • Hpim2564 edit.jpg
    Hpim2564 edit.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 785
  • Hpim2565 edit.jpg
    Hpim2565 edit.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 955
  • Hpim2560 edit.jpg
    Hpim2560 edit.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 838

CRAZY-TEXICAN

Jun 15, 2009
Carrollton Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Quattro MP , Minelab Musketeer modified , Tesoro Bandido II micromax , Garrett Groundhog , D-Tex Koin King BFO
This reminds me of when Lifan started making clones of the Honda engines , they look alike, they feel the same but they perform like crap. I say stick with the well known brands , at least you wont have to ship your detector overseas if it it goes south because this is like most Chinese made things, everyone sells them but nobody repairs them..

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw one of BH's engineers say the MD9300 amazingly worked very well. I have heard complaints of the ears on the coils breaking though. So, just because the electronics are copied, doesn't mean the quality of the build is the same.

Still, Amazon had them for sale a month ago for $94 shipped. I have to admit I was tempted at that price. Would make a good loaner.

Suninyourhand

Aug 16, 2009
I basically was trying to point out that this thing has more features for its price point than the original participants of this thread thought that models such as these could have. When I got one of these it turned out to be pleasant surprise. At any rate, I am glad I was able to provide more information on this unit so that folks on a tight budget can have a little more to work with to help them in their decision either way. Best of luck to everyone.

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, M/Lab Xtera-70, B/Hunter ID , Tesoro Stingray II, Tesoro Tiger Shark, MXT, Eagle II SL, + Others
I'd buy one, if cheap enough, just to see how it did! Hell, I've spent more than that on bad day fishing!

hus4154

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife got me the MD9300 for Christmas, as a "first" metal detector. She paid about $160 at Radio Shack. First, the instruction manual is terrible. I played around with it when the snow left in April and had frustration after frustration. Then, I took it to the shore and started finding things--trash and a few coins. Then I started playing with the settings and found more coins and less trash. I take it out a couple nights a week and here in Pittsburgh I find coins all the time, sometimes pretty deep. The disc does get fooled by alloy metals or beer tabs, but so do expensive machines. If this thing says there is metal underground--there is. Switch to disc and decide whether to go after it. Most times, it's something; sometimes it's nothing. It has gotten me interested in the hobby. I can't complain.

I'm looking to upgrade in the future, but as I've gotten to know the machine, I've done better with it. You have to start with something. I have a neighbor who always starts with the Mercedes--fishing equipment, guns, you name it--but buying big doesn't mean big results.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread