Prospectors Research Tools

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Prospector's Research Tools

I haven't been around much this summer and with the desert prospecting season just starting it's a good time to show off what I did this long hot summer. I have been working with a few friends on a new non-profit organization to give you a single place for all your land research.

The result is MyLandMatters.Org. This is the gateway to your land information repository. Maps, books, tutorials, community resources and quality, easy-to-access information about the land around you.

No ads, No memberships, No log-in required. :thumbsup:

This past spring while sitting around with some friends we came to the conclusion that most of the important and useful things that we want to know about the land around us was difficult to locate and tough to understand. Despite the many sources of information there was no single place to find the information available.

We decided we could do something about that. We agreed to put our time and energy into creating a single place that anyone could find the answers to questions about the land.

It's a big project. It has taken a lot of work, learning and resources to get things started. But after six months of long days, and more than a few nights, the Land Matters repository is ready for you to use.

Land Matters is all about the land. You can find Land Status Maps, Active Mining Claims Maps (with live direct links into the current LR2000 claims database), A great collection of mining books, Land Laws, Geology books and maps, Forest Travel Plans and a whole lot more.

Land Matters is for land users. Our collections are guided by community input. That's you. Let us know what kind of material you would like to find in our Library or a particular map you would like to see. Help us build Land Matters to best serve the community.

We've already got a lot of things that prospectors have been asking for - the claims maps alone were almost universally requested. Land Matters isn't just for prospectors and miners. But you can help prioritize our efforts and drive the content of Land Matters. Prospectors now have a unique opportunity to help guide and build an information resource designed by prospectors and for prospectors.

We are just getting started filling the Library but there will be hundreds of books, maps and items added in the next few weeks. We've even got a Newsletter so you can get regular updates about new additions to the Land Matters repository.

Check it out and let me know what you think. Here are a few good places to start:

Tutorials - the current focus is on understanding Land Status.
Maps - We all like maps and we've got some you will love.
Library - search for something.

Heavy Pans
Barry & Leigh

Upvote 11
OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ooops!

Been pretty busy lately and completely forgot to update this thread - the Land Matters Mining Claim Maps were updated last Sunday. Yeah ... a week ago. :BangHead:

In the last 15 day period, ending November 15th, nearly 1,952 claims were closed in Arizona. Nevada had 1,036 new claims located. It's getting busy!

Most of the claims closed in Arizona were clustered in a few major mining districts. A lot of those claim groups were as old as 30+ years. :thumbsup:

Did your new claims show up this period Goldwasher? It will be interesting to see how long it takes for them to get to the master database. California is fairly quick to show new claims but they are years behind on putting closed claims into their database. Hmmm ... I wonder why that is? :icon_scratch:

Heavy Pans

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been pretty busy lately and completely forgot to update this thread - the Land Matters Mining Claim Maps were updated last Sunday. Yeah ... a week ago. :BangHead:

In the last 15 day period, ending November 15th, nearly 1,952 claims were closed in Arizona. Nevada had 1,036 new claims located. It's getting busy!

Most of the claims closed in Arizona were clustered in a few major mining districts. A lot of those claim groups were as old as 30+ years. :thumbsup:

Did your new claims show up this period Goldwasher? It will be interesting to see how long it takes for them to get to the master database. California is fairly quick to show new claims but they are years behind on putting closed claims into their database. Hmmm ... I wonder why that is? :icon_scratch:

Heavy Pans

Nope. I can look them up by serial number but not name? I filed 11/7 I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Do they wait until the end of the month?

I wish they would get them updated since so many people go off of the Diggings for their info.

FYI the aerial on land matters is old in that area too. I see a road that is now over grown with scotch broom and mini manzanita.

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nope. I can look them up by serial number but not name? I filed 11/7 I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Do they wait until the end of the month?

I wish they would get them updated since so many people go off of the Diggings for their info.

FYI the ariel on land matters is old in that area too. I see a road that is now over grown with scotch broom and mini manzanita.

I give a major thumbs up to old aerial mapping. The forest service or what ever has closed many road but knowing where old roads used to be has led me to many areas I may not of ventured to on my own.:thumbsup:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I give a major thumbs up to old aerial mapping. The forest service or what ever has closed many road but knowing where old roads used to be has led me to many areas I may not of ventured to on my own.:thumbsup:

There are 1946 aerial pics of my area!!

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

FYI the aerial on land matters is old in that area too. I see a road that is now over grown with scotch broom and mini manzanita.

A claim update to the State database is supposed to take 5 days. That doesn't really happen. The BLM updates to the national database are twice a month on the 1st and the 15th at Land Matters - that's more frequent than the pay services. That's as often as the BLM updates their database so you won't find anything more current. You just have to wait until they get around to doing what you paid them for. Bejay had a claim in Arizona that didn't show up for three months. :BangHead:

Can't do a darn thing about the age of the aerials. We chose to go with the highest resolution/sharpest set of aerials for Land Matters but that means they will be updated less often. We could add lower resolution but usually more current aerials from the farm service but I doubt you could even see there was a road with those low resolution photos.

Heavy Pans

Last edited:
OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can see when the latest aerials were made in your state on this map (PDF).

Those are the National Agriculture Imagery Program (NAIP) aerials and they are always shot "leaf on" during the growing season. With one pixel per meter and their best horizontal locational accuracy of 18 feet (or worse) they aren't great but they can be a reasonable alternative if you just need a more recent view.

California's most recent aerials on that map are from May 2015 so that's probably the set you saw that shows the overgrowth. There should be a set from 2018 due to the 3 year update cycle but those may or may not be available for your area yet.

Some of the more recent aerials have a fourth band for infrared so I imagine some of the folks who use pendulums, map dowsing or LRLs could see where the gold is located with that photo spectrum. :cat:

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The updates to the database are supposed to take 5 days. That doesn't really happen. The updates are twice a month on the 1st and the 15th at Land Matters - that's more frequent than the pay services. That's as often as the BLM updates their database so you won't find anything more current. You just have to wait until they get around to doing what you paid them for. Bejay had a claim in Arizona that didn't show up for three months. :BangHead:

Can't do a darn thing about the age of the aerials. We chose to go with the highest resolution/sharpest set of aerials for Land Matters but that means they will be updated less often. We could add lower resolution but usually more current aerials from the farm service but I doubt you could even see there was a road with those low resolution photos.

Heavy Pans

ahhh I see. Fine with me I like seeing what the area looked like several years ago.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mining Claim Maps Updated and Nuggets!

The Land Matters Mining Claim Maps were updated Monday night.

A lot of claims were closed in SW New Mexico this past half month. A lot of new claims in Nevada and Utah over the past few weeks.

So far in the three months of this mining year there have been 7,696 mining claims closed and 7,601 new mining claims located.

The winners of Land Matters Gold Nugget Giveaway are Steve, Crystal and Steve. Congratulations! the nuggets have been shipped out and you each should receive your nugget by next Monday. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mining District Maps!

Land Matters is adding Mining District map display to their Mining Claims maps. So far we've added Nevada and Montana.

Each mining district map is different. The Nevada map gives information on the name and minerals mined in the district.

When the Nevada mining district map went live a nice Land Matters user and supporter sent me links for mining district data in Montana. A very nice contribution. Big thanks go out to Alan from Idaho.
:hello:

The Montana mining district map is now available and has links included to a wonderfully detailed history of each district and it's mines. Whether you are a researcher, history buff or modern day prospector these historical accounts have a wealth of useful information.

More mining district maps coming soon!

The winners of Land Matters second Gold Nugget Giveaway are Bill, Larry and Barry (other Barry - not me). Congratulations! the nuggets have been shipped out and you each should receive your free gold nugget whenever the postal service can haul those heavy gold rocks your way. :laughing7:

There will be more giveaways coming up - more gold nuggets and other interesting things. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Land Matters updated the Mining Claim Maps again today. Twice a month rain or shine. These are the most current most accurate mining claims maps available to the public. The price is really good too - free!

Lots of surprises popped up over the last 15 days. This is usually a slow time for the BLM but they seem to be keeping up this year.

Prospectors in New Mexico will be pleased that some really good areas have opened up after being under claim for nearly 70 years!

California was surprising in that they show another 1,226 new claims over the last 15 days.

Look over the maps and see what other surprises have popped up.

It's still out there. Go get U sum! :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Did Land Matters update their Mining Claim Maps yesterday?

Of course they did! Twice a month every month. That's why they are the most up to date and accurate claims maps available at any price. :thumbsup:

Did I mention they are free? :headbang:

Go get u sum!

Heavy Pans

Rail Dawg

Oct 11, 2015
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
MineLab GPZ 7000
Garrett ATX Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
More Mining Claim Map updates uploaded on Wednesday. :thumbsup:

Nevada closed more than 3,000 claims this month so far - many dating back as early as the 1930's.

It's still out there. Go get U sum!

Heavy Pans

I make constant donations to mylandmatters.org

Clay it’s because of you and the constant great information you provide that I do so. That web site is my #1 prospecting tool.

Chuck

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Of course Land Matters updated the Mining Claims Maps last Monday. Been doing it for more than 5 years now. :thumbsup:

Every one of these updates take me more than 10 straight hours. That's a lot of work for an old broke down semi retired miner. I sure hope folks get some good use. Who knows YOU might find some good open land with gold, silver, tin, copper, gems or other valuable minerals. Just the thought that some people might get some value from my work is what keeps me plugging away.

It's still out there -
Go Get U Sum!

Heavy Pans

p.s. if you are in South Dakota it might be a good time to get cold and wet. Lots of good land opening up out there. :occasion14:

Maitland

Mar 15, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Detector(s) used
White's Silver Eagle, Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the heads-up on South Dakota! I really ought to stake something one of these years, but there's only one certain area here that I am truly interested in (and it's well claimed with placer and lode).

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You are welcome Maitland. Four more were closed in the last 2 weeks. Keep looking and you will find your spot. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Those Land Matters Mining Claim Maps were updated again last Monday night.

Colorado had the biggest changes.
More than 17,000 acres of mining claims were closed in Colorado!

Colorado has seen a lot of activity in the last two weeks with 846 claim case files closed. That's an unusually large number of closed claims for Colorado. Some of those Colorado claims date back to the 1940's. Several of the older claims being closed are as large as 160 acres. A smart Colorado prospector could probably find some real gems in that list with a little research. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
Clay Diggins

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The Land Matters Mining Claim Maps were updated on April 1 and this past Wednesday the 15th.

The BLM and your county recorder are still open for business and the spring mining season is beginning to come on strong. 1,302 new claims were located in just the last two weeks.

Mining is a designated essential industry and U.S. mines are operating near full capacity. Your prospecting and exploration activities are exempt from shutdown and with better spring weather beginning it's a good time to get out, get some fresh air and exercise, and get some gold for your efforts.

It's still out there.
Go get U sum! :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Great to see. Sadly my county clerk is not currently operating. I have a claim to file and can’t do it right now :(

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Barry, I have a question regarding the claims map section and the public land status feature. I was looking at an area where there is a claim that is listed in a quarter section that shows as private property There is a area of forest land in the section but not near this claim as shown on MLM. The owner of this claim insists that this info is wrong, and that the area is indeed blm land and that the site does not properly reflect this. What is the chance of this being true and or the accuracy of the public land boundaries show?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread