RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Today I had a medical scare that was 100% preventable, and it was my fault.

I was at the end of my 12 hour factory shift, and I was in "the zone". I drank water throughout my shift, so I didn't think anything of it. I thought I was okay. The last hour, I slacked off, and didn't drink anything. I found my groove, thought I had enough water already, and didn't think anything of it. 15 minutes until the end of my shift, I noticed that I had stopped sweating. I couldn't focus my eyes either. I couldn't read the labels that I was supposed to put on the pallets. I knew what was wrong, and ran over to the water cooler, but by then it was too late. Management was walking by, and they knew that I was the "new guy" so they asked how my shift went. I looked at them, but I couldn't focus on their faces. Tiffany, the head of HR, asked if I was okay. I shook my head "no", and said "I can't see anything right". They ran me to the hospital, where I got some IV's and a lecture from the doctor. I already knew the dangers, but I thought I was fine. I know that I am going to be the subject of next weeks safety meeting. I was released after a while, and I drove back to the factory (they took me in my own car, while another person followed to pick up my driver) to let everyone know I was okay. I felt bad for scaring everyone.

Don't be a dipstick like me. Drink water. Summer is coming, and everyone wants to go detecting, bottle digging, arrowhead hunting. DRINK! Drink loads of water!

It took me an hour of working at a heightened pace in a warm building for things to go haywire. 90 degree days in the sun can be much worse. Stay safe.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_metal_detector.gif
Thank goodness you are ok RustyRelics. One lesson you will never forget!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you got it going in the right direction !!

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something to be aware of is that heat events like this are cumulative.Every time it happens to you,the next time it takes less exposure to happen again.And so on! I know this from experience. I may leave home without American Express,but I won,t leave home without plenty of water.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you are OK.
Electrolytes are needed big time!

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you are OK.
Electrolytes are needed big time!
Correct! Too much water alone can flush out the electrolytes and fell you as fast as too little water.Been there too.

Ed_DE

Feb 23, 2019
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also work a 12 hour rotating work shift schedule in a paper mill. I drink lots of coconut water when at work in the summer months and it seems to help get me thru my work shift.

Attachments

• IMG_0814.JPG
    IMG_0814.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 18

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that's a good thing to bring up. I don't have a problem with that at work, but they do provide free water for us just in case. In the outdoors, the way I tell if I'm getting dehydrated is if my pee is very yellow. Then if I can barely pee at all when I feel like I need to that's the worst case. I always bring a lot of water and Gatorade.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, that's a good thing to bring up. I don't have a problem with that at work, but they do provide free water for us just in case. In the outdoors, the way I tell if I'm getting dehydrated is if my pee is very yellow. Then if I can barely pee at all when I feel like I need to that's the worst case. I always bring a lot of water and Gatorade.
It has been said that if a person is thirsty, they're already dehydrated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread