Pull Gold out of the ground next to iron trash???

Gold_Striker

Sep 27, 2010
Denver,CO
Detector(s) used
xterra 705 by minelab
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Upvote 0

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think so. As gold will very on my DFX. I have dug gold that register 08 to as high as 33. I know to find a gold ring I dig a lot of foil, tabs and can slaw. But I keep everything that I dig and recycle it all at the end of the year.....Matt

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is my understanding that the X-Terra 705 nulls on iron, are you not getting any nulls? I have dug gold with iron, but I knew the iron was there as it nulled on first sweep, resweeped null from different angle 90 degrees off and got the gold tone...

Now if you want to find gold your going to dig a lot of aluminum pulltabs and can slaw, that is just part of the game.....

OP
OP
G

Gold_Striker

Sep 27, 2010
Denver,CO
Detector(s) used
xterra 705 by minelab
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
yep Kevin Hogland says just gotta get out there and get some time under my belt. Really I had hoped there was some way to avoid all the trash but in a way its always exciting to get a signal :laughing7:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Hunter is right about the Minelabs. I am not sure about the 705, but the Excal and Sov GT can pick up a gold ring with a nail through the center. It nulls on the smaller iron and you still get the gold tone. Try it at your dealers. :thumbsup:

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sandman said:
Treasure Hunter is right about the Minelabs. I am not sure about the 705, but the Excal and Sov GT can pick up a gold ring with a nail through the center. It nulls on the smaller iron and you still get the gold tone. Try it at your dealers. :thumbsup:

Hey Sandman, I wonder if the gold is next to a buried piece of iron that has a strong halo of leached out iron particles around it, would this test would have the same results? Iron has a much stronger signal when it is in the ground. Iron out of the ground has a much weaker signal when you perform an air test....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first started I was told by Sandman and others who have sued the Excal to always check a null by sweeping a null from a different angle 90 degrees from the original sweep (north to south is first sweep, then 2nd sweep is east to west). One day while hunting I got a null and when I did this I had a low tone the other direction, when I dug it I found I had a gold ring and a small piece of iron in the scoop at the same time on my 3rd or 4th scoop that I dug, it was about 7-9 inches deep.

I was also told by the experts to sweep till you leave the beach, one day I was sweeping all the way to the wooden steps where I was going to wash my excal off in the shower at the end of the day, as I was going home then, nothing nice found that day. I found a nice gold diamond ring less then 2 foot from the wooden steps leaving the beach....

goldseeker4000

Mar 5, 2011
Kalispell, Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab X-terra 705, Gold Monster 1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The best thing you can do is hunt in AM mode and 99 tones. I own an x-terra 705 and this is what I do now. I often find coins now right next to iron trash in the hole. Learn the signals tones and watch the numbers. If I get good tids most of the passes over a target but get some bad ones too, I still dig. There is no detector out there that will allow you to dig only coins and no trash. I just found a 1925 buffalo nickel today. somewhat sounded like a bad target. But because I now know that a neg tone can be deceiving if there is more good tones mixed in. Dig!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread