What's new

pull tabs

kevkirki

Hero Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2011
Messages
658
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
Location
denver, colorado
Detector(s) used
M6/coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Does anyone remember when we started using the old two piece pull tabs :icon_scratch:. I'm thinking late 70's. I like finding them thinking theres older coin and the place isn't dug out. There always that 3-5" down. Thanks for the help

HH Kev
 

Attachments

  • 033.webp
    033.webp
    7 KB · Views: 415
the type tab you have in your pix (the kind with the beaver tail) came out in the mid 1960s. There was some earlier and/or cross-over types at that time, that were sort of square-ish, and also had a tab on it.

The current type square tab (that's supposed to stay on the can, but they certainly don't appear to!) came out in the early 1980s.
 
One of them,fooled my Garret cx plus, told me it was a nickle at 5 inches.
 
Cant remember when they came out but I can remember cutting myself half a dozen times.
 
I would swear there are some drink manufacturers that still use beaver tails.
 
I thought the pull tab in the pic was outlawed in 1972. Not the 80s. They were invented in the mid to late 60s, depending in the style. Here on the West Coast of Florida we find many of them, in the water and on the beach. Same with the newer style, people still tear them off and throw them in.
 
Thanks for the info :icon_thumright:. My M6 tells me its a tab, nickle, ring... so I have to dig. Plus I save them...have a big can full :laughing7:. Well If there from the 60s I'm in the right dirt :icon_thumleft:

Thanks HH Kev
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom