pull tabs

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
When I first started detecting back in March I was completely overwhelmed by all the pulltabs I was digging. I knew I had to dig the damn things or I wasnt going to find the rings so............I started saving them. It somehow makes it easier to dig em' when I am saving/collecting them. I have a large coffee can that is almost full, I will dump em' into a 5 gallon bucket very soon & keep collecting them I guess.

Huntin' 59er

Apr 27, 2005
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a suggestion. I had heard that Ronald McDonald House would take pull tabs. So I called my local one in Houston,Texas and they said yes that they did take them. They sell them for scrap and use the money to help fund Ronald McDonald House. So I save mine in a plastic gallon milk jug. If you all have a local McDonald House you might call and see if they take pull tabs. It seems to be a very worthwhile charity.

Huntin' 59er

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You used to be able to take them to McDonalds and turn them in to help kids? I do not feel they are worth the effort to collect and haul down to the recycle center for $$$. :D

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
I would have to check and ask who knows. But here in SE Kentucky about once a year the kids save them and turn them into the Cancer Society. I don't know if they scrap them for cash, or if they have a deal with soda companies to get so much in donations for each pull tab. They do it once a year for like 1 month.

Will have to ask more and see what the deal is. Unless someone here knows about it?

Postalrevnant

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Those PULLTABS are not made from Regular aluniunm.
The alloy is the same material that is used in making dentures. They are harder to bend.
Peg Leg

OP
OP
whitesid

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Peg Leg said:
The alloy is the same material that is used in making dentures. They are harder to bend.
Peg Leg
is that more money or less?

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Less, if you save them it's better to give them to RMH.

HH

USTiger

Apr 30, 2006
Vancouver - WA
Detector(s) used
Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pull taps ???

what is that .. i am from Denmark and is not sure what you all talk about .. i am guessing it is the Tap you open a can of Soda/beer with but not sure..

USTiger

OP
OP
whitesid

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
USTiger said:
Pull taps ???

what is that .. i am from Denmark and is not sure what you all talk about .. i am guessing it is the Tap you open a can of Soda/beer with but not sure..

USTiger
first of all if you don't know what a pull tab is your one lucky guy!!!!
its the top of a can, the part you can pull off.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a "treasure hunter" tell me he likes to take some and large split shot and toss them in the swimming area for the other water hunters to find. I could have buried my big scoop in his skull........................LOL.

mech

Jun 4, 2006
St Petersburg, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
whitesid said:
Peg Leg said:
Peg Leg
is that more money or less?

Its an urban legend and not true. The pull tab is made of the same aluminum that the rest of the can is made.

It IS true tho that mcdonalds and others have started accepting them for donation.. but all they get is the scrap metal value for the tabs... (100 pull tabs is equal to about 3 cents)

I dig up more than enuf everytime i go to the beach and wish they had a better use :)

The URL for this page is http://www.snopes.com/business/redeem/pulltabs.asp

cheers,

pepperpump

Feb 27, 2005
Manassas Park, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Mech, usually it is for people using them for crafts. I have only sold them once off of Craiglist and the person made stuff with them. I sold around 500 for 10 bucks. Needless to say you dont get rich but why not. I have seen them online for about 20 bucks max for over 1000 tabs.
Pepperpump

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow.... I just checked ebay and pop tabs are in fact selling at a premium over scrap value. Some are even reaching premiums as high as a penny each.

G

garbage digger

bscofield6 said:
Wow.... I just checked ebay and pop tabs are in fact selling at a premium over scrap value. Some are even reaching premiums as high as a penny each.

Yep, There are people who buy them. There is currently an auction for 2,500 tabs and the bid is at $30.00 :D I usually don't dig many of the newer tabs. Most of the tabs I find are the round ones from the 60's-80's.

Rumblebelly

Jan 20, 2007
Detector(s) used
(RS)Discovery 2000, white's bullseye, NEW DFX!!!
my former neighbor has benefited from those pull tabs, by the Ronald McDonald house. She's probably had over 25 surgeries since birth. She'll always have issues and never be "normal", but she's a wonderful girl now in her teens. If you didn't look real close or know her history, you wouldn't even know it. If you really want to make a difference for some kids, please save them and give them to Ronald McDonald Homes.

When she was my neighbor we would save all the pull tabs from the cans we collected to give to her, several shoeboxes full a year! I don't have the contacts for all of those cans anymore, but I still save them. She still has surgeries and other little kids do too. Its the least I can do. It doesn't seem like much, I know, but her smile does.

Rumblebelly

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread