pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

The article pretty well sums it up correctly.

After buying millions of the little buggers over the years it came down to a simple form of math. It still takes 1100+ tabs = 1 pound of MLC aluminum which has a set price like aluminum plate, sheet. So it's easy to see that having a mass number of folks collecting tabs and donating them to one location then they bring the tabs to the scrap yard it does benefit a small amount. Heck it's easier to collect a couple dozen cans and get the same amount of $.

Gee wonder what would happen if folks took what they spent on sugar drinks and donated the money to the cause they believed in-it's just a thought.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I kept detailed digging records for years and averaged 1 gold ring per approximately 1,000 pull tabs, and most the gold rings I've dug have been in the pull tab range. So I still dig as many as possible and will start saving them opposed to tossing them into the garbage.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep everything that I dig. Have different buckets in the garage and sort everything at the end of the hunt when I get home. Then when the buckets is full or I go to the recycle center I take it all in and cash it in. All helps with the gas, motel stays and eats thur the yr.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
I had a "treasure hunter" tell me he likes to take some and large split shot and toss them in the swimming area for the other water hunters to find. I could have buried my big scoop in his skull........................LOL.

i feel for ya sandman.hopefully you're not on his _ _ _ t list.are ya ? ha! ha!

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
Ok so if RMH is only getting scrap value for the tabs you give them then it seems like the best thing to do with your tabs if you want to help them out is instead sell the tabs to the crafting market where you’ll get max value for them then turn around and donate the cash from the sale to RMH.

Bonus, now that you’re giving them cash instead tax write off! LOL yes I’m an evil genius.

Or you know, you could just make pull tab chainmail.

Recycle Soda Pop Tabs Into Chain Mail

tabshirtLG.jpg

now thats way cool.is that a hobby or a fixation ? i wonder how she squeezed into that or did she have that built around her ?i'd like to know how long that took ?its gonna be a trick getting that off.now the ? is to sell if for scrap or donate it to RMH ??

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
I have 1964 copy of popular mechanics for February and it show how to make fishing lurer from pull taps

pull tabs have been around since 1964 ?is this ca correct statement ? last summer i found 2 differnt style pull tabs that i didnt recognize and i was wondering how old they might be ? any experts out there ?

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread