Pulled a Bucket List Coin Today

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took my new Garrett Carrot out today. First 2 houses I went to, no one home. :BangHead: I looked to a nearby house, both the husband and wife were on the front porch enjoying the day. I moseyed right up to the porch, started some small talk about the great weather. After a few minutes of chatting I then asked if I detect their property. Got the go ahead :icon_thumleft:. This is a corner lot, so I started on the tree lawns along the side yard. Soon I decided to hunt the yard behind their house, it is only 2.5 ft wide and maybe 15 ft long, it butts up against the neighbor's driveway. I then started the side yard when my gut told me to go back behind the house. I only dug one more coin from that area and it was a bucket list find, an 1864 2 Cent. :headbang: It was the only good coin I dug today and was only 4 inches deep. The 2 wheats were dug at depths between 7 & 8 inches in the side yard.

I plan on going back and finishing up the last 30% of the yard tomorrow. I ended up digging $4.51 in clad. It sure felt like someone planted a lot of pennies trying to grow penny trees I guess. :dontknow: None of my plugs gave up more than one coin. I dug 113 items (as shown in the pic) and an addition 51 plugs yielded trash.

Today's Notables

20151212_171236.jpg

All Finds (less the trash)

20151212_170551.jpg

As always, hope ya'll got out and swung the coil :metaldetector: today

GL & HH

Upvote 49

2moshers

Dec 23, 2014
Pemberton, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find Loco! I too have one 2 cent piece (1865) that I found in my own yard. Glad you were able to catch me on that find. On to your next bucket-lister!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found my first two cent piece a few weeks back (1864 as well), but yours is in way better condition. Great find!

IndianaHunter27

Oct 28, 2015
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG on that 2 Cent! Congratulations, still looking for my first,

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
L-D, awesome that you found the 2-cent piece. Beautiful coin. I think it may be the only other U.S. issue made of bronze, other than the Indian Head penny. Interesting that the one I found this year is an 1864, as well (my first and only, too). :)

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet find,, I'm still looking for my first 2 center.
Nice that you got permission to hunt that yard,
I would be tempted to bring the owners a bag of donuts before starting tomorrow's hunt,, lol

Nepa-Will

Nov 15, 2014
Northeast, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
XP Deus + 9" Coil
XP MI-6 Pinpointer,
XP WS4 Wireless Headphones,
XP Remote
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job checking that one of the list! One of my favorite. Congrats!

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the 2 center, maybe you can scratch another off the list today. Good luck.

HH, Relic Nut

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats buddy, I'm glad you saved her, that one is still on my list too.

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey loco that's a sweet coin should clean up real nice. HH gl

Thanks ECH, I took a tooth pick to it last night. Looks like it's going to have to soak in some oil.

Wow, that's gotta be one of the nicest two centers I have seen dug. Looks like it was lost right out of the mint bag.That doesn't happen every day, well done loco :thumbsup:

Thanks V-nut, she does have a lot of detail, hopefully I can get it to look better. Still looking for a Trime, a Walker and an SLQ. 19 days to go, times against me.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice one LD! It's always good to strike one off the list and even you don't get any more off the list in 2015 it gives you lots of reasons to try again in 2016.

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wtg on the honey hole..

Thanks TJ, today I plan on finishing the 1st grid and then move into the 2nd grid using my 12" x 15" butterfly coil.

Nice - Congratulations!! :occasion14:

Thanks Terry not bad for a Fisher guy huh? I find myself digging by sound, it's just nice to have the VDI and Boost process to better ID the iffies.

Loco
Great find i found a 64 Two Cent piece too Large motto
Red Book shows two variety in the 1864 Sm. Motto and Lg Motto.
In my 1991 Red Book, shows Small motto just "Good" $60.00
Large motto just "Good" $5.00
Take a closer look at your`s and see !
Also first coin to have "In God We Trust" motto on it because of the Civil War.
Gary

Thanks for the info G.A.P. Unfortunately I believe mine is the large motto, you had me going though. Would have been nice to have another key date/style coin.

Nice bucket list find. Try to save a little for me when I get back in the spring from snowbirding the winter.

Well John, you snooze you lose. All your sites in PA are safe from me. Yoiu should have stayed east a little longer. May hit 70 degrees today. Next weekend is shaping up to be a time for me to get back into the woods being that it may get as low as 32 degrees.

Nice Find!!

Thanks Jackalope, I sure got excited when I saw that great milky green soil in the plug, just knew it had to be an old coin. Got stoked when I saw it was a 2 cent coin. :headbang:

Good stuff there Sarge... swing it low and slow tomorrow, hope you score more.

Roger that BWD. maybe an SLQ today. :thumbsup:

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very productive hunt, even if most was clad! Congratualtions on the 2-cent piece, I'm sure that made your day. :occasion14:

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find Loco! I too have one 2 cent piece (1865) that I found in my own yard. Glad you were able to catch me on that find. On to your next bucket-lister!

Thanks 2M, wish my yard would produce more than clad. My house was built in the late 70's on land that was a wooded lot.

Congrats Loco on another great find this year.

Thanks Q, looking forward to your next post and amazing find.

I found my first two cent piece a few weeks back (1864 as well), but yours is in way better condition. Great find!

Thanks FBT, I would have been stoked even if it came out toasty.

WTG on that 2 Cent! Congratulations, still looking for my first,

Thanks IH, just believing it will happen if half the battle.

L-D, awesome that you found the 2-cent piece. Beautiful coin. I think it may be the only other U.S. issue made of bronze, other than the Indian Head penny. Interesting that the one I found this year is an 1864, as well (my first and only, too). :)

Well McCDig, I'm glad to know I am keeping up with you, now let's go get another bucket lister this season.

Sweet find,, I'm still looking for my first 2 center.
Nice that you got permission to hunt that yard,
I would be tempted to bring the owners a bag of donuts before starting tomorrow's hunt,, lol

Thanks ATW. the owner is in his early 70's and has been collecting coins for decades. I showed him a coin he has never seen in person before. Yes I went home and picked up my 1877 IHP. He was tickled to hold it and told me I should never sell it, I hope that was a good substitute for doughnuts.

Great job checking that one of the list! One of my favorite. Congrats!

Thanks Nepa, I'm, glad I pulled it early. I sure had a lot of targets to dig in the small yard. I'll be back at it in about an hour.

Congrats on the 2 center, maybe you can scratch another off the list today. Good luck.
HH, Relic Nut

Thanks RN I'm always hoping and believing that the next plug will hold a keeper and maybe even a bucket lister. Coins like the 2 Cent feed the fire and makes this the best hobby ever.

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice addition of your collection:icon_thumleft:

~Blaze~

You know it Johnny B, love it when you pull a first.

Congrats buddy, I'm glad you saved her, that one is still on my list too.

Thanks Treble, it will happen for you. Just know it will happen.

Wow, what a great place you found there, some haul too.

Thanks Thrifty, sometimes the good permissions that we are seeking are not gained and yet the permissions of opportunity give up the goods.

Very nice LD! Awesome 2 cent!

Thanks Rusty

Nice one LD! It's always good to strike one off the list and even you don't get any more off the list in 2015 it gives you lots of reasons to try again in 2016.

Thanks Pepper, 19 days left and 3 more bucket listers remain on my radar for 2015.

Very productive hunt, even if most was clad! Congratualtions on the 2-cent piece, I'm sure that made your day. :occasion14:

Thanks Professor, I sure would have liked to have pulled more keepers, and yes it was a lot of clad. It's hard to believe I dug so many targets from such a small lot. I'm hoping that when I do my 2nd pass later today with the bigger coil that I can pull some deep keepers. They have had a lot of underground utility work done over the past few years to include new curbs and the road out front was repaved this past summer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread