Pulse Induction Vs VLF: Choosing The Best

john_smith007

May 6, 2024

PulseI Induction Vs VLF​

FeaturePulse Induction (PI)Very Low Frequency (VLF)
Depth PenetrationSuperior, reaching depths of up to 6 meters / 20 feet or moreModerate, effective for detecting shallow targets up to 2-3 meters/ 6.5-10 feet
Target DiscriminationVariable, some models offer advanced discrimination capabilitiesGenerally good, able to distinguish between different types of metals
Ground ConditionsLess sensitive to mineralized soil, suitable for a wider range of environmentsMore susceptible to interference from mineralized soil
CostGenerally more expensive than VLF detectorsMore affordable and widely available

What Should You Choose?​

So, which one should you choose? Well, it depends on where you plan to hunt and what you’re looking for.

If you’re heading to the beach or areas with high mineralization, I suggest going for a PI detector. They’ll go deeper and won’t get thrown off by the ground conditions.

But, if you’re planning to hunt in parks, old houses, or places where you might find a lot of trash, I recommend a VLF detector. They’ll help you sort through the junk and find the treasures.

Regardless of which type you choose, remember to always respect the environment and follow local laws when metal detecting.

And, of course, patience is key! Metal detecting is a bit like fishing – some days you catch the big one, and other days, you just enjoy being outdoors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 1

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Message sent on our vendor rules.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

PulseI Induction Vs VLF​

FeaturePulse Induction (PI)Very Low Frequency (VLF)
Depth PenetrationSuperior, reaching depths of up to 6 meters / 20 feet or moreModerate, effective for detecting shallow targets up to 2-3 meters/ 6.5-10 feet
Target DiscriminationVariable, some models offer advanced discrimination capabilitiesGenerally good, able to distinguish between different types of metals
Ground ConditionsLess sensitive to mineralized soil, suitable for a wider range of environmentsMore susceptible to interference from mineralized soil
CostGenerally more expensive than VLF detectorsMore affordable and widely available

What Should You Choose?​

So, which one should you choose? Well, it depends on where you plan to hunt and what you’re looking for.

If you’re heading to the beach or areas with high mineralization, I suggest going for a PI detector. They’ll go deeper and won’t get thrown off by the ground conditions.

But, if you’re planning to hunt in parks, old houses, or places where you might find a lot of trash, I recommend a VLF detector. They’ll help you sort through the junk and find the treasures.

Regardless of which type you choose, remember to always respect the environment and follow local laws when metal detecting.

And, of course, patience is key! Metal detecting is a bit like fishing – some days you catch the big one, and other days, you just enjoy being outdoors.
I disagree with many of your claims. Those depth claims are not realistic at all. On typical hobby detectors, anything deeper than 3 feet for a PI, or 2 feet on a VLF is wishful thinking for coin/jewelry sized targets. Sure, if you're looking for a buried car or septic tank, you can get those depths. There aren't any PI's with reliable discrimination yet. As for a VLF being able to distinguish between metals, not really. It mainly discriminates between conductivity, which SOMETIMES can coincide with types of metals. There are PI detectors that don't have adjustable ground balance capabilities. These are virtually worthless in prospecting. Most higher end VLF's are actually pretty good on handling mineralized soil. Cost of either will depend on features and capabilities. There are PI machine from around $600 to ones over $8000. VLF detectors can range from under $100 to around $2500. Buy a machine that matches the type of detecting you plan to do, features that you need the machine to have, and one good at finding the targets you expect to find. If you are going into any water or wet use, get one fully waterproof. If you will be in salt water, get a waterproof simultaneous multifrequency VLF or PI unit.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Troy Shadow X5
Tesoro Vaquero
Simplex Plus
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I disagree with many of your claims. Those depth claims are not realistic at all. On typical hobby detectors, anything deeper than 3 feet for a PI, or 2 feet on a VLF is wishful thinking for coin/jewelry sized targets. Sure, if you're looking for a buried car or septic tank, you can get those depths. There aren't any PI's with reliable discrimination yet. As for a VLF being able to distinguish between metals, not really. It mainly discriminates between conductivity, which SOMETIMES can coincide with types of metals. There are PI detectors that don't have adjustable ground balance capabilities. These are virtually worthless in prospecting. Most higher end VLF's are actually pretty good on handling mineralized soil. Cost of either will depend on features and capabilities. There are PI machine from around $600 to ones over $8000. VLF detectors can range from under $100 to around $2500. Buy a machine that matches the type of detecting you plan to do, features that you need the machine to have, and one good at finding the targets you expect to find. If you are going into any water or wet use, get one fully waterproof. If you will be in salt water, get a waterproof simultaneous multifrequency VLF or PI unit.
Yeah I also disagree with the Depths quoted

Show me a PI that can reach 20 feet or more depth, also a Vlf that can hit 6-10 foot depths, the OP is dreaming, and who in the heck would want to dig that depth with out a backhoe LOL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread