🥇 BANNER Qrter Stater Field - Day 5...16th C Gold Ring!!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful day again & after our moderate success yesterday we were both ready for a bit of a slog, it seemed like payback time was due :P
We were nearly right because at the 2 hour point (total day was 3.5 hours), we only had 1 Roman coin & a few buttons. Once again the difficult field just blow me away with a Gold Ring that looked so Gold it had to be real old.....Although in the field I couldn't be sure it wasn't Georgian or Victorian so got the best surprise researching tonight :headbang:

Other finds of the day:
Barrel Tap Key
1897 Sixpence
Some good Buttons
1 Lead Token

This is what I think the Gold Ring is:
Man's high grade Gold (20kt+) Signet Ring
16th Century (maybe 17th)
The Heraldic image of the Rampant Lion derived from the 'Lion of Judah' which has close ties with Nobility, so whoever wore this ring was at least a Lord of the Manor. Its been used all across Europe & closely associated with Scotland.
The closest match I could find was in the Victoria & Albert Museum:
http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O119772/signet-ring/?print=1
Although mine is a different shape I have researched many other similar Octagon Gold Rings from the 16th-17th Century :blob7:
This will shortly be making its way to the British Museum, so might get a full answer in 12 months+ :laughing7:

I have never had such an amazing ring in all my detecting years, I hope this continues, but I think I have done in the rest of the year :tongue3: :laughing9:
UPDATE:

It's very unusual for me to sell ANYTHING I find. However, on some very rare occasions I can't afford to keep a find. This has only happened 1 other time in my detecting career, other than this one.

The British Museum handed back the Ring & valued it at £2500.

Today it was in Auction & achieved £4200!

So after costs (including straighting it), the farmer & I will recieve £1600 each. My best windfall ever, as my last object was £1150 each.

Brought by a US bidder (I think).
thumbsup.gif

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 4,412
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 4,268
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 4,306
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 4,319
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 4,275
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 4,314
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 4,282
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 4,272
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 4,254
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 4,258
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 4,279
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 4,310
Last edited:
Upvote 18

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
congrats on the amazing ring! I found a barrel key just like yours last year in the UK. I think they are neat. good hunt and congrats on making the banner again!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
You are on FIRE! :notworthy:

I really feel that I am, it's a crazy January, more so as it's normally one of our leanest months :thumbsup:

If it happens again :D , I need to re-name to the 'Field of Gold'

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cntrydncr1 said:
congrats on the amazing ring! I found a barrel key just like yours last year in the UK. I think they are neat. good hunt and congrats on making the banner again!

Funny you should say that, I think it turned up just before the Ring & Dad & I were pleased to see the best find of the day. Its been a couple of years (I think), since the last complete one, & I to like them :icon_thumright:

70monte68

Aug 8, 2010
PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T2 SE
TEKNETICS T2 SE (back up)
MINELAB EXCALIBUR 2,
WHITES MX SPORT
Crusader, Again with a sweeeeet find! Best of luck with the new year!!!

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusader, I'm not fluent in metal detecting but this ring appears to be a really Really significant find. That is the rampant lion and used as a coat of arms for Scotland and Britain. I don't want to sound like i'm reaching but this might have been worn by a King. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Standard_of_Scotland ......check out this link and pursue it from there. If this was a Kings ring that would be huge!!!!.........................Awesome Find!!!!!..................................GTP

King Henry II coat of arms- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Henry_II_Arms_bw.png

Guess I should have read your whole post. :laughing7: Anyway I totally agree, but i think this standard was used by a nobleman of higher standards then what you are giving it.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Gold Crusader! The Gold Crusader! The Gold Crusader!

This is what I'm going to call you from now on! :laughing7:

Congratulations yet again on another beautiful gold find making the BANNER mate! :notworthy:

Dave

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get-the-point said:
Crusader, I'm not fluent in metal detecting but this ring appears to be a really Really significant find. That is the rampant lion and used as a coat of arms for Scotland and Britain. I don't want to sound like i'm reaching but this might have been worn by a King. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Standard_of_Scotland ......check out this link and pursue it from there. If this was a Kings ring that would be huge!!!!.........................Awesome Find!!!!!..................................GTP

Yes, I realise this Rampant Lion is incorporated in the Flag of Scotland & this might have Royal connections but its not quite good enough for a Kings ring. Some of the Kings Loyal follows might have a ring like this but thats about as good as it gets. Thanks for the input :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ANTIQUARIAN said:
The Gold Crusader! The Gold Crusader! The Gold Crusader!

This is what I'm going to call you from now on! :laughing7:

Congratulations yet again on another beautiful gold find making the BANNER mate! :notworthy:

Dave
:occasion14:

:laughing9:

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats again Cru! I know that Jeff doesn't usually like to have more than one Banner item from any one person at a time on the Banner EXCEPT

under RARE and EXCEPTIONAL moments and I have to say, this is one of those times buddy :occasion14: This Signet Ring

is stunning in every way as is the Stater and both are absolutley Terrific finds, here's to you my friend :occasion14: :headbang:

JW15

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 w/DD coil Backup- 505,305.
Incredible... :notworthy: Another banner find! :headbang:

TheDane

Nov 3, 2005
DENMARK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP-Deus, Tesoro Vaquero.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your start of the year 2012 is quite ok, I´d say !!! :laughing7:

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I'm just jealous...:P But honestly those are some pretty amazing finds, the kind of thing we can only dream about over here! Another banner find tomorrow? :D

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm always amazed at your finds but that ring is hand shaking unbelievable, there needs to a 2nd banner, just for your finds. HH

allan

Oct 7, 2008
Vega Baja
outstanding again !!, you are single handedly putting to rest a certain aussies claim that only N Americans get the banner lol

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great Find Waiting to See it up top Chug!! I thought I saw it Up there Before i posted then It was Gone!!!! HH Chug

Banner all the way

Yep It was Just before i finished Posting Congratulation From Chug and Red :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

OldNBroken

May 13, 2010
North Idaho
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, XP Deus, ETrac w/ sunray X1, SDC 2300, XTerra 705, ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jealous! That is one beautiful piece of gold. Just looking at it you can tell it's very high karat. :wav:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread