What's new

Quarters

solariscool

Full Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2007
Messages
129
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Hello,

just wondering if quarters are a waste of time? I have a few days a week that Im not getting halves and thinking about giving quarters a try.
 
Upvote 0
I guarantee if you MD for a week and CRH for a year, you'll find more with your MD than a years worth of CRH.
 
not a total waste but very tough from what I have seen...
 
Codes said:
I guarantee if you MD for a week and CRH for a year, you'll find more with your MD than a years worth of CRH.
I completely disagree with that statement.

I have yet to find a silver quarter after MDing for a year now, but in the same time I have found 15 silver quarters CRHing.

That being said they are the hardest denomination to find old coins in.
 
if u have the time then go for it, i havent had much luck with quarters in the past. but i figure its just like halves got to get the right box at the right time.
 
I've done 5 boxes of dimes the last week and found no silver. I'll keep doing them but I think I will do some quarters too.
 
GMan00001 said:
Codes said:
I guarantee if you MD for a week and CRH for a year, you'll find more with your MD than a years worth of CRH.
I completely disagree with that statement.

I have yet to find a silver quarter after MDing for a year now, but in the same time I have found 15 silver quarters CRHing.

That being said they are the hardest denomination to find old coins in.
I gotta go with the MDing on this one. 5 in nearly 2 years. 1877 to 1953.
2 in $1500 CRHing.
 
I personally have searched over $5000 in quarters and never found a silver quarter. I didn't even find a canadian quarter.
 
In 2007 I found 1 silver quarter in a roll out of probably $2000 and another one actually handed to me in change. So, two total in circulation and 2 found while mding. And I hardly ever went mding. One of my goals this year was to up my mding a LOT, and I really think you can find more silver quarters mding than crhing. Gman, no offense, but when you compare the type of mding you were doing to the type of crhing you were doing, that's probably why you had such better luck with crhing quarters. If you search that many quarters you're going to come up with that many silvers. However if you md areas that have been heavily hunted, or predominantly newer areas like tot lots or whatever, you probably won't come back with any silver.
 
DrDetector said:
In 2007 I found 1 silver quarter in a roll out of probably $2000 and another one actually handed to me in change. So, two total in circulation and 2 found while mding. And I hardly ever went mding. One of my goals this year was to up my mding a LOT, and I really think you can find more silver quarters mding than crhing. Gman, no offense, but when you compare the type of mding you were doing to the type of crhing you were doing, that's probably why you had such better luck with crhing quarters. If you search that many quarters you're going to come up with that many silvers. However if you md areas that have been heavily hunted, or predominantly newer areas like tot lots or whatever, you probably won't come back with any silver.

No offense taken. Although I did quite a few tot lots early on to learn the machine, once I got more comfortable I tried a bunch of other places. I spent most of my time doing a construction zone near home where the main street was being ripped up including the sidewalks (the town was established in the mid 1800's). I found a V-Nickel from 1895 or 1896 or something like that, a couple old 1940's Jeffersons and about 6 wheat pennies. For the whole summer I found 1 silver coin, a roosevelt from the 1950's, but that was from a beach where the water was extremely low. I tried at least two houses built in the 1910's or earlier... old school lots where the school is now missing or in shambles... nothing old. I never had any problem finding coins, but the older stuff always seemed to evade me.

I went to one unseeded group MD hunt through my MD club and ended up winning prizes for most face value and most nickels and won a couple of silver coins, but I don't count that.

I am hoping its just bad luck. I have also considered getting a different machine that goes deeper as I only have an ACE 250 which is a great starter machine, but I think I may be ready for a more advance model that goes deeper or a water machine. We'll have to see if I can afford one this year or not.
 
I *LOVE* Quarters. How bout a bunch of us CRHers grab a bottle of booze get together and play!

Never found any silver in boxes of quarters though.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom