Quartz Arrowhead

Beckjhenry

Jan 5, 2022
E5F53486-FF96-4221-930B-D88FCC315C7B.jpeg
Hi. Found this white quartz arrowhead - or maybe it’s a short-stemmed “point” - on the banks of the Piscataqua River in Portsmouth NH.

Wondering if anyone can tell me how to determine age and/or what Native American peoples might have crafted and used this?

Thnx!

Upvote 13

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It’s a Wading River point. Before the establishment of many type names, collectors in New England referred to these, and other related points, as “small stem points”. Many of us, pro and amateur, still call them small stems.

They are not a good type to use for time constraint, as they were in use from the Late Archaic right into Woodland times. 5000-1000 years old would be the rough age range.

Quartz was the most common lithic for these points. Quartz was not quarried. These points resulted from a quartz pebble industry. Because quartz pebbles and cobbles are so common in New England, distant travel to quartz quarries was not needed.

Something I did not know, until I read an essay by the late Jeff Boudreau, who authored the best New England typology, is that most of these points were not used as projectiles at all. Rather, analysis by Jeff showed most were used in scoring, cutting, boring, or graving operations.

I had a field, since developed, that yielded hundreds of these quartz points. It is one of the most common types in our region. Always nice to find.

Here is Boudreau’s essay “Rethinking Small Stem Points”:

OP
OP
B

Beckjhenry

Jan 5, 2022
It’s a Wading River point. Before the establishment of many type names, collectors in New England referred to these, and other related points, as “small stem points”. Many of us, pro and amateur, still call them small stems.

They are not a good type to use for time constraint, as they were in use from the Late Archaic right into Woodland times. 5000-1000 years old would be the rough age range.

Quartz was the most common lithic for these points. Quartz was not quarried. These points resulted from a quartz pebble industry. Because quartz pebbles and cobbles are so common in New England, distant travel to quartz quarries was not needed.

Something I did not know, until I read an essay by the late Jeff Boudreau, who authored the best New England typology, is that most of these points were not used as projectiles at all. Rather, analysis by Jeff showed most were used in scoring, cutting, boring, or graving operations.

I had a field, since developed, that yielded hundreds of these quartz points. It is one of the most common types in our region. Always nice to find.

Here is Boudreau’s essay “Rethinking Small Stem Points”:

Super helpful! Thanks!!

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 2001221 Hi. Found this white quartz arrowhead - or maybe it’s a short-stemmed “point” - on the banks of the Piscataqua River in Portsmouth NH.

Wondering if anyone can tell me how to determine age and/or what Native American peoples might have crafted and used this?

Thnx!
Nice point! We find a lot of those down here. I believe there was a lot trading up and down the east coast.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread