What's new

Quartz flake?

JohnDee1

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2018
Messages
314
Reaction score
474
Golden Thread
0
Location
Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here I come again with some geofacts. Joking aside, I found this in my creek and I am wondering if it is just a rock, a flake, or lightly used tool. Regardless as always thanks for the replies. EE1CDA4B-A195-4B06-BD43-0AAE1205DB03.webp A76E18DD-4496-4744-98AD-80C50175D67E.webp 48E26EA8-A114-4F20-A8BD-06ABA7317AA2.webp 30ACB343-DE07-4DAD-A261-1BE670AC9A92.webp
 
Upvote 0
The smaller one looks like it was made. I'm not sure on the larger one.
 
It's not often that you'll find a good quartz point- and when you do, they're made of good solid quartz w/o fractures and inclusions. Yes, I know there are a lot of quartz points out there- and I've found a number of them myself, but what I'm trying to say is that it's a really hard rock to work (pun intended), and if there's a fault line or a variance in it at all, it won't be a successful job. I find a lot of quartz in VA, and I have to think long and hard before I take anything home. I have to look at it hard. And on top of that, it's almost impossible to photo a decent quartz flake- or rough point. They never show the true contour and work along the edge. JMHO. So, I'm looking hard at what you have there, and I lean towards nope. To my eyes, it has too many fault lines- and places where the quartz would be too degraded to be workable. That said, it's too dang hard to see. Keep looking!!
 
Thank you for the response, the observation you made about fractures and inclusions really resonated with me. I had not previously took into account the importance of stone quality for knapping, and instead looked for shape in deciding an artifact. This should have been apparent to me, as the only obvious tool I have found had been of high quality quartz. There is always more to learn, thank you!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom