What's new

Question about coin mechs

Whyme

Silver Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2007
Messages
3,731
Reaction score
5,452
Golden Thread
0
Location
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone here familiar with vending machine coin mechs? I know all the vending machines where I work reject any silver or Canadian coins. I was thinking about jury rigging a little box with the coin mech and the board that runs the coin mech, to make a little silver finder. Anyone done this before? Or does anyone have plans or know of plans on the net to make one? Or is this not realistic?
 
Upvote 0
Guess I'm on my own with this :P
 
I am not sure about being able to sort the silver from the rest. Great idea, but will it work ? Who knows ?????????

I came up with this brilliant(okay,not so brilliant) idea to take a nice Metal Detector and set the discrimination to detect the silver only. My dream set up was to be able to run rolls over the coil and not have to open them unless there was silver in the roll. (I don't care about dates or proofs). I was told that no one made an MD that would do what I wanted so I shelved my dream.
You might drop Andy Redlon an email at Ryedale Machine and ask him whether he has tried to do what you are trying todo. His machine does a nice job on zinc and copper, maybe silver is possible. Cheers, Jim
 
coolpix9 said:
You might drop Andy Redlon an email at Ryedale Machine and ask him whether he has tried to do what you are trying todo.

Andy has been experimenting with the silver dime idea. But I know I can edge scan dimes pretty fast and with an average of only 2-3 per $500 box I don't know how long it would take to pay for it. If he offers it as an attachment it would make it much more reasonable.
 
coolpix9 said:
I am not sure about being able to sort the silver from the rest. Great idea, but will it work ? Who knows ?????????

I know it will work. I talked to a Pepsi repair man and he told me all their machines will reject silver and Canadian coins. I described what I wanted to do and he said it would work but I would have to modify a couple of things. He said it could even be used as a coin counter with the throw of a couple switches. I looked into it on the net, there are a lot of coin mechs out there and I'm not sure which ones to use!
 
Are you wanting to make this silver finder an attachment to a Ryedale or rig it to work with vending machines?
 
willypurdue said:
Are you wanting to make this silver finder an attachment to a Ryedale or rig it to work with vending machines?

If as an attachment I'd only use the feed system. But I want to make a stand alone system with it's own feeder.
 
Well I think we all need to get together and develope a coinstar type machine that will reject silver and copper in an internal tray so no one can get them. Then we collect the silver and copper rejects plus the ten percent commission. Anyone want to start a company?

LOL
Cat
 
Whyme said:
Anyone here familiar with vending machine coin mechs? I know all the vending machines where I work reject any silver or Canadian coins. I was thinking about jury rigging a little box with the coin mech and the board that runs the coin mech, to make a little silver finder. Anyone done this before? Or does anyone have plans or know of plans on the net to make one? Or is this not realistic?

Good idea, but don't you think that it would be illegal? I understood that a machine can reject a coin, but not one that is legal tender and undamaged (said machine would have to spit it back out also, wouldn't it?). And probably not for the pupose of making a profit, or for taking silver coins out of circulation. Just my thoughts.

John
 
Cat J said:
Well I think we all need to get together and develope a coinstar type machine that will reject silver and copper in an internal tray so no one can get them. Then we collect the silver and copper rejects plus the ten percent commission. Anyone want to start a company?

LOL
Cat

That might be just a tad bit illegal. Don't you think someone would notice something is up when about 30-40% of their pennies are not being counted?
 
willypurdue said:
Cat J said:
Well I think we all need to get together and develope a coinstar type machine that will reject silver and copper in an internal tray so no one can get them. Then we collect the silver and copper rejects plus the ten percent commission. Anyone want to start a company?

LOL
Cat

That might be just a tad bit illegal. Don't you think someone would notice something is up when about 30-40% of their pennies are not being counted?

Who said that they wouldn't be counted, just not put in the same hopper internally.
 
GMan00001 said:
willypurdue said:
Cat J said:
Well I think we all need to get together and develope a coinstar type machine that will reject silver and copper in an internal tray so no one can get them. Then we collect the silver and copper rejects plus the ten percent commission. Anyone want to start a company?

LOL
Cat

That might be just a tad bit illegal. Don't you think someone would notice something is up when about 30-40% of their pennies are not being counted?

Who said that they wouldn't be counted, just not put in the same hopper internally.

Gotcha. Wasn't thinking that way I guess.

John
 
Yesssssssssssss.... counted but seperated. Not cheating people just presorting for our own use later.

Cat
 
Cat J said:
Yesssssssssssss.... counted but seperated. Not cheating people just presorting for our own use later.

Cat

Sorry, I was thinking in terms of a vending machine. Dope :-X

John
 
blurr said:
Good idea, but don't you think that it would be illegal? I understood that a machine can reject a coin, but not one that is legal tender and undamaged (said machine would have to spit it back out also, wouldn't it?). And probably not for the pupose of making a profit, or for taking silver coins out of circulation. Just my thoughts.

John

Where did I say I wanted to rig a vending machine? I said I wanted to use a coin mech from a vending machine to make a little silver sorter. All by itself, not connected to a vending machine at all, and for my own use.

Vending machines reject legal tender all the time. Ever have a dollar that looks perfect but gets spit out of the bill validater in a vending machine over and over again? Happens to me a lot.
 
GMan00001 said:
willypurdue said:
Cat J said:
Well I think we all need to get together and develope a coinstar type machine that will reject silver and copper in an internal tray so no one can get them. Then we collect the silver and copper rejects plus the ten percent commission. Anyone want to start a company?

LOL
Cat

That might be just a tad bit illegal. Don't you think someone would notice something is up when about 30-40% of their pennies are not being counted?

Who said that they wouldn't be counted, just not put in the same hopper internally.

Just the way it sounded when I read it. Now that we have clarification, its a done deal.
 
Whyme said:
blurr said:
Good idea, but don't you think that it would be illegal? I understood that a machine can reject a coin, but not one that is legal tender and undamaged (said machine would have to spit it back out also, wouldn't it?). And probably not for the pupose of making a profit, or for taking silver coins out of circulation. Just my thoughts.

John

Where did I say I wanted to rig a vending machine? I said I wanted to use a coin mech from a vending machine to make a little silver sorter. All by itself, not connected to a vending machine at all, and for my own use.

Vending machines reject legal tender all the time. Ever have a dollar that looks perfect but gets spit out of the bill validater in a vending machine over and over again? Happens to me a lot.

I already apologized once, now twice. :-*

John
 
blurr said:
I already apologized once, now twice. :-*

John

Sorry, I just replied to your post then I read the rest of the replies.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom