What's new

Question about dumping halves

Argblat

Greenie
Joined
Nov 18, 2008
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
When you guys dump halves do you roll them back up and take them to a teller or (if available) use a free coin counter in the lobby?

I'm also curious, since I've only used the coin counter for my dumps thusfar (on nickels and pennies) how you go about returning rolled coins to a bank. Since I'm assuming they don't just trust that each roll is properly filled I'm curious how they check and what a reasonable amount of rolls to return in one transaction is in your experience.

Thanks!
 
Upvote 0
Every single bank is different. In my last 3 years of roll hunting, I have never once returned rolled coin to a bank. I have either turned it over loose in bags, or I run it through the counter.
If the bank has a counter, they may refuse rolled coin, or only take a minimum amount of rolls, especially from the elderly, who often do not trust such "newfangled gadgets".
You won't know until you ask the teller.
 
I use the free counter at my CU. I have cashed in a few rolls at various banks, but unless you have an acount at the bank they don't really like it and will rarely let you.

I've had a few banks let me cash in $50 or so in rolls, but it's not often.

I don't use counters that I'm not a member of the bank because I don't want to pay a non member fee.
 
So you just hand the teller a bag and they go in the back and count it using their machine, or you use a coin counter for customers in the lobby?

fistfulladirt said:
Every single bank is different. In my last 3 years of roll hunting, I have never once returned rolled coin to a bank. I have either turned it over loose in bags, or I run it through the counter.
If the bank has a counter, they may refuse rolled coin, or only take a minimum amount of rolls, especially from the elderly, who often do not trust such "newfangled gadgets".
You won't know until you ask the teller.
 
for over a year I turned $500 bags of halves and dimes directly to the vault. Not once were the bags counted (rarely if ever by me).....picked up by courier and never one complaint.
Do not try this at home!
 
I reroll the halves and deposit them. I've deposited $800 in rolled halves.

I just recently found out you can turn in $1000 in a plastic bank bag. I haven't done it yet.

None of the banks here have coin counters in the lobby. They told me that they take loose coins in bags and send them to a place that counts them and then they deposit the amount in your account.

Hope this info is useful!

HH
 
I re-roll. Coin machines near me are either painfully slow or in Penny Arcade's instance, fast but fills 100 bucks at a time.

Re-rolling halves is so easy too, only 20 coins, so I just reroll.

Reroll halves and dimes as dimes never seem to get counted accurately by the coin counters.
Quarters (what little I search) nicks and cents go into the counters.
 
Ive never had a problem with the coin machines reading my coins wrong, Im sure it happens thou..ive just been lucky

But even the banks with the Counters let me turn in rolled change before, I bought a 250 box of Dimes and rim searched them and brought them up there in the box and she counted the rolls and deposited it in my account, she actually thanked me because she was running low on dimes :laughing7:
But as Many has said..EVERY Bank is different..Some of my WF banks I dont go into because they are rude, while others are extremly nice and personable
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom