Question about Fisher 1235X

T

TerryW

Hi, just got my first detector, been wanting one for quite awhile. Found a Fisher 1235X at the local pawn shop. Didn't come with an operating manual and I only find a manual for the 1225X on Fisher's website. It looks like everything's the same except the 1235X has a Frequency knob so I don't have any instructions on how to use that.

Also, I'm trying to find out if it's submersible. It's search coil is solid and 8". The 1225X on Fisher's site shows it is submersible but it also shows it with a waterproof search coil, a spider coil.
Does this make a difference as far as being waterproof or not?

Obviously I'm very new at this so any info about this detector would be very helpful!

Upvote 0
Thanks, appreciate that info.

I looked for the 1236X manual on Fisher's site and they have the manual for the 1236-X2. I guess this is as close as I'm going to get for having a manual for the 1235X? The manual did say what the Frequency knob is for, so now I know that too.

I still have a 1235 and still works perfectly. The coil is waterproof if it is intact and there is no gaps at the wire where it enters the coil. Place a bit of Silicone caulk around the fitting to make sure the rubber didn't dry out.

The Frequency knob is for if you are near other detectors and they talk to each other. Just turn the knob till the interference goes away. It is a good detector and easy on batteries.

Good luck,
Sandman

Great, thanks for the info and advice, will do.

We took it down to the beach tonight, on a lake, for about a half hour and found a quarter and penny, and also a couple of bottle tops and a rusty nail. What's the best way to tell if you're beeping on trash or something more valuable? Is that how I set the sensitivity?

Hi Terry, I have a 1225-x. It has not got all the features of the 1236-x2 but the circuitry of the 1225, 1235, and 1236 are the same. Be prepared for a lot of pops and crackels. Some find that annoying but it does tell you that something is in the ground. I believe the manual said that it was intended to be used with sens. up all the way normally. If used on the salt beach or where you have interference or too much trash you have the option of lower sens. Lowering the sens drastically reduces the depth. Gold will not be seen above disc. of 4. You will have to dig pop tops to find gold. I tested in air and can't see much difference in depth even with high disc.. The manual says that you do lose depth at higher disc. though. I usually operate at low disc. than use the disc. knob with my thumb to make my choice of digging or not.
I'm enjoying this machine more and more as I learn how it works. I think you will too.

The best way to learn what the detector is telling you is to find a clear piece of ground and lay down some different targets. Be sure to include a thin gold ring next to a nail. Include the usual pull tabs, bobby pins, bottle caps, etc. and see how the detector respones and at which setting of discrimination knocks them out.

Some think a setting of a high sensitivity always gets them max depth when in fact the opposite is true. The higher sensitivity setting lets the coil "see" more ground minerals too and can null out a target. Multi frequency machines like Excal's, Sov's, Explorer II, SE's and DFX's do this a different way.

Good Luck,
Sandman

The coil (if it is good shape) should be waterproof, but the control box most certainly IS NOT. Just wanted to make that clear. Good luck with your new machine!

Buckleboy

i'm working on getting a 1236x, if all goes well, I'll have one in my cold little hands in no time.
maybe in a week, i'll have it shipp'd to me, used.
yep, winter's setting in, but I allways wanted a fisher.
even if it means takeing my bic lighter out and thawing all the dern ice off my back lawn to see what it can find lol
but weather permitting, yanno I'll be out draining my rechargable 9 volts, and listining to my yamaha sterio full sized headphones carefully, while trying to keep my controll houseing from becomeing encrusted with permafrost and all the horribal eliments of mother nature, lol
immagine the gold still out there, below the ice, sleet, snow and frost, just waiting for us to find it and take it inside where it's warm, while we sip our coffee looking at how nice it is to see it's glimmer, after becomeing found after all theese years, and how warm it makes our hearts to share the stories with all the world to hear (o:
ok so it's only clad, but still, it looks gold in our thoughts, and just as difficult to dig in all that nast weather. lol
someones gotta do it

well here it is a couple weeks later, and a little bit warmer.
I took my fisher 1235x out for the first time ever, because of all the snow and cold.
when I first recieved it from the usps, it was late at night and I was going to use it the next day.
the next day when I woke up, I was rareing to go and use my new detector in the yard.
I steped out side and, Blam, it hit me.
a terrible thing, SNOW !
it snowed and I was devistated by it's bleek eternal damndness.
it just plain sucked lol
so I decided to set my loveing fisher 1235x up untill I could get out and start swinging it to and fro, finding my fame and fortune.
well two weeks or so later, here it is today, and I got the chance to detect about 15 minuits out in my front yard (o:
oh it was such a calming feeling to feel the weight of my new(used) fisher 1235x swinging, hanging from my tightly wrapped fingers, buzzing away, sniffing out all the precious metals, well hidden, deep within my front yard.
I set all the knobs to maximum positions and swang my little heart out, hopeing I'd atleaste find a nail or 2.
well to my amaisement, I got tons of beeps (o:
I prepared to probe the first one and was kinda upset, because I couldn't find the target.
so I carryed on and tryed a few more paces away and got the same result, I was getting kinda perturbed by then and decided to set the knobs down a tad, and hopefully, I would get a better signal and eliminate some of the chatter.
well to my enjoyment, I got a strong signal, beeping loudly in my delicate little pair of ears, useing my yamaha headphones, so I prepared to excavate.
I probed and probed and centered and centered with the little centering button that is in the center of my wonderfull new(used) fisher 1235x.
I probed some more and found a couple old roots and a pebble or 2 and rechecked and found a strong signal still.
I probed more and finnaly a tink (o:
it was down at about 7 inches, a stupid old dime.
I couldn't beleive how far down it was.
I was devistated that I had to work so hard just for a 1970 rosie.
but heh, I'm a crappy hamper lol ok happy camper any way for just a test swing of my new (used) fisher 1235x, I got offa e-bay for just 1 hundred and 10 dollors.
it got dark in about 15 minites, so I gave it up for the day.
tomorow I am going to go back as soon as I can to my yard, but this time, I am going to keep my knobs down low, and bring a longer probe.
my old probe was about 5 inches long, too short for this fine piece of machinery (fisher 1235x)
and maybe i'll break out a hand trowel, or even a back hoe, lol
gotta love Fisher

Get use to the depth, Fishers are DEEP hunters, I also have the 1236x, Great machine!!! 8)

CONFUSION: 1235

Im a soon-to-be 1236-X2 owner, with years of experience, although my only Fishers have been the 1266X and CZ7a Pro. Naturally, Im interested in this thread. But, you sorta lost me there with your weather report and story ;D ...

Okay, so as I make it, you found a clad dime at 7 " which gave a solid, repeatable signal. That's at least acceptable, under most circumstances. Considering your somewhat random control settings, that might be considered excellent and surely points to the capabilities of the machine itself!
Thanks a heap for your input. Now go get some of that coffee.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back