Re: Question about MD'ing at Schools
jb7487, I enjoyed the exchange between yourself and deep-sky. Look closely between the lines, of what you are posting/saying, and you too will see your own preconceptions:
some people " ..... ask for permission only when it is convenient for them or when they think they will be found out"
What do you mean "when they will be found out"? Don't you see that this this only assumes that something is wrong, to begin with? I mean, put it in this words: "Joe Blow seems to think he only needs to ask if he can jog the track or talk on his cell phone when he'll be found out" You might ask yourself "What's wrong with jogging the track, or talking on your cell phone on a school yard, that you would even need to ask, to begin with?" So you see how your premise, in your whole question, is that something is somehow wrong with you, or your hobby, that you needed to ask, to begin with. And with that in mind, you've merely lost the battle to begin with, because if/when you're standing in front of some bureaucrat (who probably never cared or gave the matter thought), will pick up on those vibes (as in "uh, something must be dangerous or illegal, that he's having to come and ask") and guess what the safe answer will be?
Next: "I tend to believe that most people here are law abiding citizen" Yes: those "25% of the members most certainly believe they are doing nothing non law-abiding. So once again, you leave an inference that something is "wrong" with detecting at a public school w/o "asking". (assuming other after-hours access is generally occuring for others for the track, dog walkers, hoops, etc...)
Next: " ..... So there is a much higher probability of a law already being in place that could get you into trouble " You come right out and spell out your premise in this statement. You are of the mindset (and that's fine) that "laws and rules and livid people lurk around every corner". But contrarily, I am of the opinion that very few laws and rules exist at the city park and school level. I think this myth gets perpetuated, because of the modern wonderful age of the internet. It's all psychology: because of the lightening fast age of information nowadays, people hop on a national forum like this, read of an isolated booting or school district, in some city or state thousands of miles away, and think "oh no, I better ask in my city/park, *just to make sure*" And presto! it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.
I bet that, as far as your "2 successess" in getting permission, that it merely means that whomever granted that permission, simply didn't have all the facts, or correct mindset. I could just as easily go to that same person, and get your permission just as quickly revoked. All I would need to say is: "gee, do you really think that jb7487 should be digging/poking around in the grass? And .... 'wow', don't you think it's unfair that he's setting a bad example to the kids by 'taking' their lunch money that they may, in fact, go back to look for the next day? and 'oh no', what will the indian counsel in our state, via the dept. of archaeology, think if he disturbs indian artifacts? *certainly* this must run afoul of ARPA", etc... etc... etc... So you see, that "permission" simply means someone didn't have the right mindset. Congratz that you didn't loose so far, and congratz that no busy-bodies (like the examples I just gave) haven't happened to you yet. But believe me, if you keep asking, you will not always get a "yes" (as if you needed it to begin with).
Or put another way: In my town, we detect the schools, at will, unbothered (as long as we're not a nuisance or leaving a mess). So why would I "ask" now? And what would I think of the person who DOES "ask", and merely gets a "no", to where that same person might now see ME or my friends, and remember your inquiry, and start booting others he never previously gave mind to?
I understand your concern, and YES, there are differing opinions. Your 25/75 conclusion might in fact be accurate on the mindset. But just keep in mind that when you phrase the question, you are in fact putting a premise there, that may not exist (till you ask).