Re: Question about MD'ing at Schools
"
all of those people are taking a risk and are trespassing" Well, now we're into another area, off-to-the-side of the question: Yes, some schools have those signs "school closed after hours. Non-students report to office. Permission to pass revokable", or other such wording. These type signs became prevalent in the 1980s and '90s as I recall (bigger cities first, smaller cities later). I think they were born out of litigical nonsense (someone falling off a slide and suing the city). Also maybe d/t teens 4-wheeling on the lawn after-hours, or perverts or whatever. The sign becomes a "tool" to use, where they can boot you. Or if you fall and try to sue, they can say "didn't you read the sign?" etc...
But in the cities around me, which all have those fences and signs, they .... nonetheless, have a gate at each school propped open, and the school yards are routinely used, after hours, by joggers, kids playing soccer, hoops, or whatever. But let's assume, for sake of question, that there is no such sign or fence. Ie.: let's place ourselves back in the old days (and,
in effect, how most still are today): that is, that they are not off-limits to public casual use after hours and on weekends. If that is our premise, then "trespassing
in general" is not the issue.
I agree with you jb4787, that someone might take this "help yourself" stance, and try to draw the analogy like you do: "Oh, then I guess you ALSO think you have the
right to just erect a statue, dump your garbage, paint the swings pink, etc... too, just because it's public?" But once again, this just continues to pre-assume that something is inherently evil or wrong with our hobby. Yes, I see an inherent evil ("crossing the line"), with the dumping trash, erecting statues, painting things, etc.... I (and the "75%") DON'T see anything wrong with metal detecting. If I/we are not doing any harm, not leaving any trace, then I consider myself no more harmful or erroneous than the soccer player, for example.
Who's to say what that fine line is, where you cross from "casual" (frisbee, sand-castles, etc...) to destructive (erecting statues, painting the equipment, etc...) is up for debate I suppose. I just know that if we all look at ourselves in this light ("oh no! I better ask"), then you are already answering the question for yourself (that it is somehow across that fine-line), before you've even started, by the mere fact that you think you need to ask. Therefore, I don't consider it a "grey area". I consider it harmless. Sure, isolated incidents exist of parks and schools on the city level who boot people (or maybe even have a written rule). But once again, I say these are rare exceptions. The vast majority probably wouldn't even notice you, or give it a second thought (unless you were being a nuisance). It's the same with nose-picking: If I/you just do it discreetly, no one probably notices. But if you ask them "can I pick my nose?", what do you think they will say?
Here's an analogy to the psychology: There is a hobby called "slack-lining", that is gaining popularity amongst kids nowadays:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slacklining There was an article in our local paper a few years ago, that the park's dept. had made a rule dis-allowing this practice in parks here. The reason? apparently they felt that the ropes, tied around the bases of trees, could leave little grooves or marks etched in the bark. The article went on to say that some parents and kids were trying to get this over-ruled, or get some section of a park "set aside" for it, etc... But here's where it gets interesting: apparently the hobby had gone on for YEARS, and no one cared or gave it thought. But I guess that one "concerned mother", upon hearing her young son explain what he and his buddies were going to do, decided she better call the park's dept. and "make sure it's alright". Well I guess this was "news to those in the park's dept.", and was something that had never been addressed. So one thing led to another, and the answer was passed down to the rank and file: "no slacklining". Do you get it?