What's new

Question about metal detector for wet sand

Belford

Tenderfoot
Joined
Nov 25, 2008
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Hello friends,

I would like to start in metal detecting; I have been reading a lot about metal detectors, mostly at this forum.

May you please advise me about a metal detector to purchase?

Unfortunately, most important factor for me is the price. The detectors I can afford are at the price level of Bounty Hunter IV, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Silver uMax, Garrett ACE 250;

I will hunt mostly at the beach, dry and wet sand, but not inside the water;

I am not very demanding, and do not want anything very sophisticated, just a decent detector!

Thank you!
 
If you stay away from the wet sand any of those listed will do well. It is the wet sand that will drive your detector crazy. Detectors that can handle the wet sand will cost more than the budget you mentioned.
 
I have an older Radio Shack Discovery 2000 that I have used at the beach and wet sand and even in creeks. I have had the coil under water both salt and fresh with no problems. Just be sure to clean the unit after you are done. I think it was about $200 back about 18 yrs ago. And it is still going strong.....

Good luck and welcome to TNet.
 
JG_in_NC said:
I have an older Radio Shack Discovery 2000 that I have used at the beach and wet sand and even in creeks. I have had the coil under water both salt and fresh with no problems. Just be sure to clean the unit after you are done. I think it was about $200 back about 18 yrs ago. And it is still going strong.....

Good luck and welcome to TNet.

JG
I have a 2000 right now. How did you set yours up to eliminate the interfernece with thet wet sand....without of course turning down the disc so low it screens out the good stuff. I've played with it may times but just don't seem to get it right. have tested it with quarters and wife's gold band (just kidding) but still can't seem to find them in the wet stuff. I want so badly to do a fresh water lake that lets us MDers play but I've never seen one MD in the place
 
At the beach (in the water) I go all metal. Yes I end up with a lot of trash. But better in my bag than a kids foot.
I found that on dry sand the sensativity dial can be about half way when in disc mode. I still hit about 6 inches down.
I am looking to upgrade but I am getting to know the tones in disc mode. If the signal bounces from quarter to iron or any other bounce, it is more than likely rusted metal or can slaw. To save time I only dig solid tones. But that can fool you as well. Go back and forth and in both directions (while pinpointing). If the signal bounces the target may be suspect. But beware of the penny/quarter signal bounces. I have found pennies dimes quarters and nickels all together. My unit does well in seperating those with very little sweeps of about 2-3 inches.

But in creeks and on wet sand I go all metal. Then when I get a signal I may switch to disc mode to decide if I want to get wet.

It also help to have a can sifter. I got one from Kellyco on a pole handle. But a short handle one would be fine.
 
My ace works fine in dry sand but gets erratic in wet sand, if I reduce the sens I can get by, but the depth suffers. I use a Vaquero on the beach these days with no trouble, wet or dry. You should try and get a manual or auto ground balance machine for the beach, maybe a used one would be in the budget. I here good things about the silver umax for the beach, suppose to be pretty good for a preset machine. The Tesoros have a faster retune than the ace which helps in the trash or with multiple targets.
 
I have an Ace 250 I use at the beach all the time. It is great for dry sand. Works good in damp sand. Won't work in wet sand, but it has to be fairly wet. Won't work in black sand.
 
Was actully thinking of getting this one for the beach. Beach Hunter ID 300
 
There is no perfect answer for this issue. Many VLF detectors will work in the wetted salt sand, although most will not work well, all things being equal.

In the price range you can afford, you will have to keep your SENS turned down in order to get a detector to work in the wet and very damp salt sands. Some adjustment of the DISC control will also help. As you go up the beach, they will work better. Once in the dry sand you will find they work fully and you can run the SENS near max while decreasing the DISC.

The detectors that work BEST in wetted salt sand and in the salt water are the multi frequency VLF and PI beach/wading units.
Both have their strengths, one of which is they are designed for marine environments. None of those you mentioned should be taken near the water. One little slip and they can get wet - bad idea!
The downside of the purpose built marine instruments is their price. They are all significantly more costly than those in your price range.

But why limit yourself to one place? Use the instrument you can afford in the places it is suited for.
The ones you mentioned will work around the damp salt sand, and the dry sand, but they are also excellent in FRESH WATER. Surely, where you live, there are places people go swimming that are fresh water. Rivers, lakes, ponds, etc are all good sites where you can get the lower part of the detector wet without worrying about salt affecting the detection. You can never get the control housing wet, however. So knee deep water is your limit.

If I were buying one of those you mentioned, I would select the Tesoro Silver. I have owned the others and still have an Ace 250, but I find the Silver series detectors to be much smoother than the Garrett.
 
I love my ML soverign GT for the beach, wet dry and super wet sand.. even shallow water.. keep your eyes out for good deals ... I like the fact I can change coils on it.. but you cant get the body wet on it.. I hip mount it and love it.. just my two cents.

and check out kellyco, they have some killer sales too even on pi machines as well.
 
Thank you all for your support!

I think what I need is Tesoro Silver uMax. And I will not wet it!

But now I have another problem: where to buy the detector. I am in Portugal and can't find any store here.

Thank you!
 
Belford said:
Thank you all for your support!

I think what I need is Tesoro Silver uMax. And I will not wet it!

But now I have another problem: where to buy the detector. I am in Portugal and can't find any store here.

Thank you!
Internet discounters! I'm certain anyone who sells the Silver will gladly ship to Portugal. I would!
 
a whites pulse machine cuts through any kind of mineralization but does not discriminate,I paid 600 for the model i have,,,its called a surf pro or P.I.,,,,kellyco has an upgraded model now that discriminates but it costs about 800,,,,I think most whites PIs will cut through wet sand,,,,,,
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom