Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Howdy folks, so I've got a quick map question for you guys. I have only been detecting regularly for about two years and I think some of you experienced folks might be able to help me out.

So I was reading through the old township histories and I found the locations of two of the earlier settlements (most of the earliest settlements here in NE Ohio are 1790s to early 1800s) and both of those homesites were pretty far from the road. Is this just a coincedence or is it rather typical for some of the homes built before the roads were established to be far away from the roads? I have found a few more homesites that are a ways away from the road when I was looking at the 1850s maps of Lake, Geauga, and Ashtabula Counties (where I detect most often) and I was wondering if this could be an indicator of an early site?

Thanks! I attached a screenshot of what I'm talking about.
Screen Shot 2020-10-19 at 3.18.14 PM.png

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, that happens. I was down in Virginia visiting Stratford Hall, the home of the Lees. The grounds were open and I was looking for shark's teeth, and did find some. The "Great House" as it is called is probably 1/2 mile off the road. I have seen the same thing in Maryland where an abandoned house (now long gone) was 1/3 mile off the road, but on a knoll not far from a creek large enough for a canoe, rowboat or such.

OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No, that happens. I was down in Virginia visiting Stratford Hall, the home of the Lees. The grounds were open and I was looking for shark's teeth, and did find some. The "Great House" as it is called is probably 1/2 mile off the road. I have seen the same thing in Maryland where an abandoned house (now long gone) was 1/3 mile off the road, but on a knoll not far from a creek large enough for a canoe, rowboat or such.
Thanks Smokey, I wonder what would have made someone want to build their house so far back? I get it if the people would want to be by the creek or something but what about Stratford Hall or the places I mentioned? Do you think that what I suggested could be the reason sometimes?

Only one way to find out... :laughing7: :)

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regarding the earlier Lee, Pope and other families who settled at Stratford Hall, there was a 17th century landing down the hill from the "Great House". The ships came in there, there is an old mill still standing. Probably were numerous buildings not far away. Tall cliffs are very close by. The "tobacco road" went up the hill, within a few hundred yards of the "Great House" and to the current county road. The 18th Century "Great House" then would have been for the folks not needing to do a lot of the physical work at the farm. That's why it is so far from the road. Some homes back then were off the road, maybe to dissuade highwaymen from getting too close? Again, why do some folks want a place right on a road today and others way off it. Same stuff, different day. Google Earth Stratford Hall to see what I'm looking at.

OP
OP
Noah_D

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Regarding the earlier Lee, Pope and other families who settled at Stratford Hall, there was a 17th century landing down the hill from the "Great House". The ships came in there, there is an old mill still standing. Probably were numerous buildings not far away. Tall cliffs are very close by. The "tobacco road" went up the hill, within a few hundred yards of the "Great House" and to the current county road. The 18th Century "Great House" then would have been for the folks not needing to do a lot of the physical work at the farm. That's why it is so far from the road. Some homes back then were off the road, maybe to dissuade highwaymen from getting too close? Again, why do some folks want a place right on a road today and others way off it. Same stuff, different day. Google Earth Stratford Hall to see what I'm looking at.
Interesting, that makes sense. Thanks for the insight

FindingHistory1

Greenie
May 30, 2018
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Smokey The Cat on "same stuff, different day". I've seen this "setting back" of houses fairly far away from the road on many of the old SW Pennsylvania maps, and they are usually pretty accurate representations of old homesites' locations. I'd add to the highwayman hypothesis things that were mainly siting considerations: most likely the presence of good quality springs or a place to dig a good well, the ability to clear out fields with a nice SE exposure (there are of course exceptions) to the sun and decent drainage for good growth of crops, maybe even proximity to an on-site rock outcropping to quarry out some foundation/chimney stones or a better stand of hardwood for a log cabin than any that could be found near the road for whatever reason.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Smokey, I wonder what would have made someone want to build their house so far back? I get it if the people would want to be by the creek or something but what about Stratford Hall or the places I mentioned? Do you think that what I suggested could be the reason sometimes?

Only one way to find out... :laughing7: :)

Well, depending on the available resources, mainly water, that a place is located.
Prevailing winds, early morning and late afternoon sun..., the soils....any of these
or others are reasons to locate away from roads.
I'd double-check and compare recent topo and land ownership maps of these sites.
Then contact land owner personally. Show your interest in the history of these locations....
And, often kids grown up, sometimes settle on the folks' land, so other homesites might
be possible too...!

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some early homes were built before the roads that ended up on the later maps were built.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread