What's new

Question for Jewelerdave ~ or others

CaptainRobin

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2006
Messages
579
Reaction score
59
Golden Thread
0
Location
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,

I've pulled several '74 halves, I think chromed, with bezel marks at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock. All have been released back into the wild.

Anyone else find any of these?

Robin
 
Upvote 0
Robin, I haven't found any chrome ones but I have found gold plated with marks in those postions. I was told it is where they clip them to the wires to put the gold on through electrolysis. That might be what you are seeing on the chrome ones.
 
I am pretty sure thats where the prongs on the cheap pendant they were put in were holding the coin in.
Little fold down tabs are commonly used on coin jewelry so it does not dammage the coin...it does, but it also makes for a weird spot for the plating to happen as the different metals react to the plating differently.
Most likely the coins were set into cheap pendants. Then plated as to not scratch the plate, then when someone got them and realized they were not worth more than 50 cents, well, they were spent somewhere along the line.
 
Thanks, Dave.....

That was about what I was thinking. Just figgered you knew more'n me.....

Robin
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom