Question For Those That Just Check The Edges Of Coins

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see a lot of posts here that say "I just check the edges of coins for silver and then turn them back in". You're missing the error coins. I've been coin roll hunting since about 1971 and you would'nt believe the number of good errors that I've run across. Some errors are only worth a couple times face but others can bring big bucks. Just wondering why, when the coins are in front of you, that you don't look them over better. Not trying to offend anyone but I think you are missing a lot of the rolls value.

Upvote 0
flinthunter said:
I see a lot of posts here that say "I just check the edges of coins for silver and then turn them back in". You're missing the error coins. I've been coin roll hunting since about 1971 and you would'nt believe the number of good errors that I've run across. Some errors are only worth a couple times face but others can bring big bucks. Just wondering why, when the coins are in front of you, that you don't look them over better. Not trying to offend anyone but I think you are missing a lot of the rolls value.

1 - I am not smart enough as to what to look for for errors

2 - Quantity = $

a - Higher quantity = more time (time is $)

b - Checking every coin = more time = less quantity

Shawn

I figured I wass providing a public service by not checking the dates for errors etc. I leave all the fun stuff to the serious collectors. Let's face it, I am a silver hoar(purposely misspelled) Jim

I personally always check my coins for errors. I can see why those only interested in silver don't though.

I check for errors only on high grade coins. Finding an 82 no FG in AU condition is worthwhile. Finding an 82 no FG in Good condition is not. Nobody wants or cares for the low grade errors. But I have to concur with the original poster that some of the silver hoars would never throw away $50 in silver, but that is exactly what they are doing with some of the high grade errors.

If I was able to do volume, then I would just edge check for silver. More money and faster. Since I am not able to get and dump as many coins as I would like to, I check for errors are really nice looking coins.

I used to only check for silver but since reading the posts here, I have begun to look for key date nickels and errors on halves. I don't know if all the errors but I do look for the 74d half with dd and I have checked a few coins for the "FG" to be missing.

I know when I ask, there will be replies that this has been posted over and over again but I'm new to using the forum and not sure how or what to do to find these posts. Anyway, can we get a refresher on the cool error coins in the half dollars to be found. (Or a link to a previous post - I did find a few suggestions on the post "Beginners Guide to Coinroll Hunting" but maybe there are others.)

Thanks. :notworthy:

For me it's simply a matter of time. I can edge check a box of halves in about 10 minutes. Checking a box for errors and such would take several hours at least. I don't have the time or desire to do this.

Time...

I used to check dates, but I need the right light and sometimes a magnifying glass if they are dirty...so in order to save time I started checking rims.

Also...unless it was a very obvious error I wouldn't know it from a hole in the ground...that or prime dates.

All those here that are into the errors etc and say the coin is "worth" $X dollars, I am curious who you sell these coins to?

I have taken a few of these types of coins to my local coin dealers who are very fair to me in the dealings I have had, but none of them care about these types of coins such as cud errors, 1974 DDO, etc.

I don't mess with Ebay but I would bet that is how most of these things get sold.

Jim

jim4silver said:
All those here that are into the errors etc and say the coin is "worth" $X dollars, I am curious who you sell these coins to?

I have taken a few of these types of coins to my local coin dealers who are very fair to me in the dealings I have had, but none of them care about these types of coins such as cud errors, 1974 DDO, etc.

I don't mess with Ebay but I would bet that is how most of these things get sold.

Jim
Personally I am luck enough to know a private collecter who was more than happy to buy the few errors I've found.

I'm in it for the silver. However, I will look through the coins for anything unusual. I have found a few coins that I sold and used the profits to buy AG. To me it's just like finding silver.

jim4silver said:

Jim

Yep, same here. I agree with Jim. Whom do you sell them to? I'm a dealer myself and I don't want error coins in my inventory because they don't sell. How many 74-D DDO Kennedys do you want? I stopped collecting them after I had 2 rolls of them. This was years ago. Occasionally if I see a very nice 74-D I'll look at it to see if it is a DDO. Unless it is AU or UNC I don't bother. As far as other errors - it's not worth the time vs. money to inspect every coin in a bag or box.

If its slow, i check for known major varieties like the 74-d, 82 no fg, etc., but i am a composition hunter. I don't keep NIFC. I will keep proofs as novelties, but otherwise I only cull silver.
I think the nicest semi-error I've found was a 1976-D with a huge grease blob that obliterated INDEPENDENCE HALL and part of the building itself.

Bentfork said:
jim4silver said:

Jim

Yep, same here. I agree with Jim. Whom do you sell them to? I'm a dealer myself and I don't want error coins in my inventory because they don't sell. How many 74-D DDO Kennedys do you want? I stopped collecting them after I had 2 rolls of them. This was years ago. Occasionally if I see a very nice 74-D I'll look at it to see if it is a DDO. Unless it is AU or UNC I don't bother. As far as other errors - it's not worth the time vs. money to inspect every coin in a bag or box.
It can be quite difficult to find a place to reliably unload errors. I would suggest checking out some local coin clubs and ask about error collectors. They are out there even if few and far between. I wouldnt advise saving them until you have a buyer, but it really shouldnt be much harder to find a collector then it is to find the coin.

[/quote]

2 - Quantity = $

Shawn
[/quote]

+ 1 !

Bentfork said:
jim4silver said:

Jim

Like I mentioned before, I only look at high grade coins for errors. To answer Jim's and Bentfork's question, I sell them on eBay most of the time. I also consign with a local auction house, but I only consign the errors with their high end auction (every 4 months). The high end auction is conducted live via Proxibid and in the gallery (onsite). I prefer the local auction house. With lesser, yet high grade errors, I list them in the classifieds in Numismatic News. I undercut the one dealer that consistently advertises the same major errors.

I would check for errors but my eyes says no way man.......Matt

koala33 said:
flinthunter said:

2 - Quantity = $

Shawn

THIS ^

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back